Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

20 minutes ago, Shway said:

Recovering in a month with proper treatment is highly doable for an MCL sprain.

It’s the match fitness and sharpness that will be the tall ask.

But like others are mentioning, he’s a guy that I wouldn’t be surprised to see at both tournaments.

This is what I am getting at. Being recovered is one thing but being match fit and sharp is different. Do we throw Oso into the last minutes of a NL semi to help close it down if those are his first minutes since april 26th (or whenever the sprain was)?

Say he's ready to hit the field in exactly 1 month, that's may 26th. When is NL? Mid June? That's 2 weeks to get match sharp. Totally doable but that is an ideal scenario. 

When is the Panama game and TFCs last few fixtures?

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Looks like Oso & Piette are out with injuries.

On 4/29/2023 at 8:32 AM, Shway said:

Recovering in a month with proper treatment is highly doable for an MCL sprain.

It has been over a month but I am having difficulty finding recent news on how his recovery is going or even a rough timeline for a return.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've always liked Oso for Canada. Such a clever and crafty player that brought a skill set that was unique to the squad. He always slowed the game down a bit but could find the gaps/seams. But over the last 2 games he has not looked like the same player. Perhaps  injuries/age have caught up to him. In the NL final he  couldn't  keep up with the speed of the US mids and yesterday he was ineffective at BMO where he has always played well in a Canada shirt. 

Just now, Kadenge said:

I've always liked Oso for Canada. Such a clever and crafty player that brought a skill set that was unique to the squad. He always slowed the game down a bit but could find the gaps/seams. But over the last 2 games he has not looked like the same player. Perhaps  injuries/age have caught up to him. In the NL final he  couldn't  keep up with the speed of the US mids and yesterday he was ineffective at BMO where he has always played well in a Canada shirt. 

He was terrible the last few matches. I’m shocked at the number of “i thought Oso was ok” posts in the Guadeloupe game thread. 

At field level I saw him get beat for every second ball, badly struggle to keep up with Guadeloupe’s average pace, produce turnover over turnover. That was a truly rotten performance worse than the US match, especially given the level of opposition. 

48 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I don't think he's really fit and he never got into match rhythm for Toronto. 

But Herdman gonna Herdman and trot him out there and hope he makes it work like he did with Johnston who was clearly still not over his ankle issues.

As I said in another post. Herdman's man management has become really poor as of late.

Ever since he became manager, I thought he's made questionable decisions, but he was having success.

I think more credit has to be given to the players, Canada doesn't have a lot of depth, but our best players are elite. Herdman just got the job at the right time.

I guess it could be that, but to be honest, Osorio hasn't looked good lately even when rested (in the games i've seen).  I miss the old Osorio, hope he gets it back soon!  The injuries and time off aren't always easy to shake off, but I have faith in him.  Hopefully TFC gets their shit together too, can't be easy being in that environment.

A lot of talk about Osorio being bad last night. I would say that he was off his usual standard, but he was arguably in the upper half of player performances on a night where we struggled as a team overall. 

Players better than Oso last night:

• Hoilett - played to his usual standard, which is still high. Great assist
  • Laryea - played to his usual standard, very involved on both ends
  • Ahmed - did a lot of good things, pleasent surprise
  • Millar - looked dangerous going forward, as usual
  • Cavallini - played up to his gradually decline standard, but earned his goal

Oso - helped control the middle, but had a few rusty/poor moments

Players worse than Oso last night:

• Vitoria - uncharacteristically poor, hopefully a one-off
  • Miller - first truly bad performance during his stretch of so-so games.
  • Borjan - below his typical average
  • McGraw - did good things but exposed for lack of pace
  • Bombito - did good things but too many turnovers

Players not mentioned were roughly around his level or didn't play long enough or I just don't have an opinon on. 

Everyone should maybe just breathe a little.  He has proven to be a key member for us despite some recent injuries.  He was very good almost every game he played for Canada in qualifying.  He had 1 goal and 3 assists in his first 8 starts for TFC this season.  At the time he was leading TFC in G+A and was playing fairly well for a dumpster fire of a club.  Does anyone remember how fantastic he was vs Curaçao and Honduras only a couple months ago in March?

Herdman has his players and Osorio is clearly one of them and just like playing an injured Johnston in Nations League, Herdman would rather play an unfit favourite than a new player who is healthy.  Osorio was doing just fine to start this season but has been tasked with playing 5 games and lots of travel in 16 days since returning from his 6 week layoff.  I’m more concerned with man-management more than anything.

Edited by Corazon

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

A lot of talk about Osorio being bad last night. I would say that he was off his usual standard, but he was arguably in the upper half of player performances on a night where we struggled as a team overall. 

Players better than Oso last night:

• Hoilett - played to his usual standard, which is still high. Great assist
  • Laryea - played to his usual standard, very involved on both ends
  • Ahmed - did a lot of good things, pleasent surprise
  • Millar - looked dangerous going forward, as usual
  • Cavallini - played up to his gradually decline standard, but earned his goal

Oso - helped control the middle, but had a few rusty/poor moments

Players worse than Oso last night:

• Vitoria - uncharacteristically poor, hopefully a one-off
  • Miller - first truly bad performance during his stretch of so-so games.
  • Borjan - below his typical average
  • McGraw - did good things but exposed for lack of pace
  • Bombito - did good things but too many turnovers

Players not mentioned were roughly around his level or didn't play long enough or I just don't have an opinon on. 

I feel McGraw and Bombito could and should get passes considering the situation (1st games and out of position).  Osorio does not.  That tilts the scale quite a bit.

11 minutes ago, costarg said:

I feel McGraw and Bombito could and should get passes considering the situation (1st games and out of position).  Osorio does not.  That tilts the scale quite a bit.

Even with that tilted scale I think Osorio was more useful than either McGraw or Bombito (maybe could be convinced on Bombito), so agree to disagree perhaps but I do think Osorio added just a little bit more, despite being far from his best. 

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Players will have an off night but Oso's body language lately doesn't exude confidence. He passed a ball where no canadian player was anywhere near and he threw up his arms in disgust (at himself I presume). I love Oso, I always say: Oso's got poise!...but hes too much off lately.

12 minutes ago, Cadeau said:

Players will have an off night but Oso's body language lately doesn't exude confidence. He passed a ball where no canadian player was anywhere near and he threw up his arms in disgust (at himself I presume). I love Oso, I always say: Oso's got poise!...but hes too much off lately.

He had a similar reaction vs the US.  Just stopped running while he was beside the guy with the ball, 5 seconds later it was in our net.  This is not good ole Osorio, he's going through something.  Hence my concern.