Canada vs. United States (Nations League A) Tuesday, Oct. 15th, 2019 - 7:30pm EST

Ansem

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

One of the guys on the panel commented "Did you see that starting 11, How did this group lose to that starting 11" and  "You have guys on that team that aren't even signed". How can you be on that panel and be that ignorant? That is why they are so shell-shocked, because they are completely unaware of any other team. That is part of the reason they keep losing.

What is that guys name? I want to send him a couple tweets haha.

9 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Here is the guy kind of taking it back

what a load of shit

Alphonso Davies - Bayern Munich

Jonathon David - KAA Gent

Scott Arfield - Glasgow Rangers

Jonathon Osorio - TFC

Mark Anthony Kaye - LAFC

Sam Piette - Montreal Impact

Kamal Miller - Orlando City

Derek Cornelius - Vancouver Whitecaps

Steven Vitoria - Moreirense

Richie Laryea - TFC

Milan Borjan - Red Star Belgrade

subs:

Liam Fraser - TFC (Backup)

Lucas Cavallini - Puebla

Junior Hoilett - Cardiff City

That's an amazing lineup compared to where we were 5 years ago

I don't expect much general knowledge from the average American soccer fan is it relates to our NT (because let's be honest, the average Canadian soccer fan doesn't know much about them either), but its pretty funny to see how little the supposed experts know.

Just now, theaub said:

I don't expect much general knowledge from the average American soccer fan is it relates to our NT (because let's be honest, the average Canadian soccer fan doesn't know much about them either), but its pretty funny to see how little the supposed experts know.

this is what bothers me, it's his job. Like I understand that in a lot of cases they can't watch all of the games they have to cover on shows like this but it wouldn't take more than a few minutes of prep to read the roster list at least

Salazar man, how ridiculous is that. Guys outside the top flight? C'mon buddy... we are not the same team as 5 years ago. Take 5 minutes to do some research and you will see our players are in comparative environments to the Americans.

We called 10 players from MLS. If that is outside the top flight in your eyes, than USA has the same problem. They called more players from Major League Soccer than we did.

It’s almost like Euro Snobs and ‘Murica combined forces to make the worst takes imaginable.

They want so bad to be in the “in crowd” where they’re from a huge football nation and go nuts every time they lose to a lesser team.  That’s true knowledge and passion!  Let’s show them how much we know by not even knowing half the Canadian team in our domestic league and on well known European clubs (seriously, all of our players play on well known clubs that any truly knowledgeable fan would know - never mind journalists).

This is football.  Czech Republic beat England.. are they better on paper?  No, but they have some damn good players not to scoff at.  The gap between those two nations is much larger than that between us and the USA.

Edit: actually just took a look at the Czech roster and it’s not hard to imagine us taking them.

Edited by CanadaFan123

13 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It’s almost like Euro Snobs and ‘Murica combined forces to make the worst takes imaginable.

They want so bad to be in the “in crowd” where they’re from a huge football nation and go nuts every time they lose to a lesser team.  That’s true knowledge and passion!  Let’s show them how much we know by not even knowing half the Canadian team in our domestic league and on well known European clubs (seriously, all of our players play on well known clubs that any truly knowledgeable fan would know - never mind journalists).

This is football.  Czech Republic beat England.. are they better on paper?  No, but they have some damn good players not to scoff at.  The gap between those two nations is much larger than that between us and the USA.

Edit: actually just took a look at the Czech roster and it’s not hard to imagine us taking them.

This is so true and it is so cringe. 

God forbid we ever act like that.

Strive to be your best, but remain humble and know your place.

5 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Well, by transitive property, they hung with Mexico for a long time, and Mexico in turn are convinced they're a best of European/South American caliber team.

Mexico are also slightly delusional.  They are great/amazing footballers, but they don't produce the caliber of athlete needed to compete at a Tier A1 level.  Their "dominant Gold Cup" was a perfect example of this faux superiority... they needed penalties and an extra time penalty to get by Costa Rica and Haiti respectively, then they squeaked by sad sack USA in the final.  I would like to see us face Mexico in a real match where we actually put our best foot forward - I'm not sure we would win but it would be interesting.  

America gonna America. I am perfectly happy to let them be delusional and indignant.  It just means they will continue to be overconfident and then trash their program when it does deliver on the hype. 

Maybe it is being too Canadian but I would way rather shut my mouth, fly under the radar, and let my play do the talking.  

This has been a great result, but the long game for me is for this team to be consistently a level above the rest of the CONCACAF teams with whom we struggled in the past, like Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama, etc.  I still see this as one match:  we still need to do the business in Orlando with another message sending performance.  This is a MASSIVE opportunity and we can't have a let down.  The pressure is all on them so that helps considerably.

All I asked for, regardless of the result, was a team that is a hard to beat, a tough out.  Judging by comments here and elsewhere, we out-competed them and they were the easy out on the night.  Let's put them to the sword in Florida.

All of this is quite ironic.

Once the USA developed a requisite level of talent, they used grit and determination to beat Mexico.

Now, we do the same thing to them.

Dos a cero indeed.

But it's about the long game for me as well. This is just a single match. We need a win in Orlando to keep up the momentum. We need to show the Americans and the rest of concacaf this was not a one-off. This was not a fluke, we need to prove that.

At the end of the day, a draw is something I can live with, but we really, really, really need to shut them up and get a win down there.

On 10/15/2019 at 9:51 PM, toontownman said:

What a missed opportunity. **** you TSN, Sportsnet and CBC. 

Weird Question - On the Canada bench what was Caldwell doing there or was it a look a like. I feel this is a dejavu situation and not because its his brother. 

Yes, that was him leaping into Herdman’s arms after Cavallini’s goal, beating De Vos and Biello to the punch. He is now an assistant coach for the Nats now. In fairness to him, it was great to see his passion for his adopted country.

36 minutes ago, Obinna said:

But it's about the long game for me as well. This is just a single match. We need a win in Orlando to keep up the momentum. We need to show the Americans and the rest of concacaf this was not a one-off. This was not a fluke, we need to prove that.

Even going practically...

Going by the simulator and what people posted other threads we should be 3-4 points ahead of El Salvador and 16-17 points ahead of Curacao in the next rankings.  In the next window, El Salvador can get about 10 points for winning both their games and Curacao get about 15 if they beat Costa Rica at home (their only game). 

If we draw in Orlando, we get 5 points and would be just behind a perfect El Salvador and have 6-7 point lead on Curacao (with them winning).  We and Curacao would then have a x25 Nations League semi final and final/third place game planned for us. El Salvador would not.

Not a horrible position with good friendly planning in March and winning at least a game in those finals in June.  (Losses don't hurt)

However a win against the States means a decent to commanding lead over those two, no matter what they do.  And if somehow Honduras loses to T&T at home, we would catch them, adding another positional buffer. (They have already qualified for the final of the Nations League and we could face them with the chance to prevent them taking points in one of those games.) 

The second sounds better to me. 

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

What about a November friendly after the USA game? It would be a waste to play at the start of a window and not play a strategic friendly in the second half.  

They are worth so much less, and the US game is so important for getting those NL final points opportunities.  It is a bit of gamble not scheduling one, we certainly will need it if we lose.  But it will be so hard even with it, if we lose (and the States do the expected business again over Cuba), that it is worth focusing on the one game.  I think.