Tajon Buchanan

nolando

51 minutes ago, An Observer said:

They actually seem quite knowledgable.  They knew all our midfielders and Kone's competition for playing time.  The one guy didn't know him but the other guy who spoke about him compared him to Pogba (not bad company to be in).

Kone/Pogba comparisons I don't know if I can see it just yet even though that would be remarkable if he could get to that level

6 hours ago, sose said:

looks like Kone made the list also

That video vindicates for me my optimistic take on this NT in Qatar. Canada had two players on that list. I think it was the most of any country. For me that indicates the unknown factor of Herdman's team. Many "experts" even expert fans on this board doubt the talent of this team. It's not just Tajon and Kone. Even a veteran like Osorio is running under the radar. Example when asked about the player with the highest football IQ on Canada, David mentioned Osorio as having the highest of any player he shared the pitch with. Anyway, enough of my proselytizing. Thanks for the link.

On 11/14/2022 at 6:37 AM, Sal333 said:

That video vindicates for me my optimistic take on this NT in Qatar. Canada had two players on that list. I think it was the most of any country. For me that indicates the unknown factor of Herdman's team. Many "experts" even expert fans on this board doubt the talent of this team. It's not just Tajon and Kone. Even a veteran like Osorio is running under the radar. Example when asked about the player with the highest football IQ on Canada, David mentioned Osorio as having the highest of any player he shared the pitch with. Anyway, enough of my proselytizing. Thanks for the link.

I do agree that generally speaking, our players are underrated. I think things like Club Brugge and FC Porto's success over bigger budget teams in the Champions League, and Lille's recent championship in France despite being far from the biggest spender (though I have no idea if they were the 2nd biggest spender) are signs that those clubs are/were doing a good job of identifying underrated talent that they could get for a good price. Obviously those teams aren't made up entirely of Canadians, but the fact they have at least 1 Canadian on those teams maybe indicates those particular players are undervalued.

But who knows. Maybe this is just me trying to rationalize a belief/hope that we can surprise people at the World Cup.

On 11/13/2022 at 11:50 PM, sose said:

looks like Kone made the list also

The first guy had these 10

Zeno Debast (Def) - Belgium
Eder Militao  (Def) - Brazil
Tajon Buchanan (MF) - Canada
Jamal Musiala (MF) - Germany
Akram Afif (Fwd/MF) - Qatar
Karim Benzema (Fwd) - France
Noah Okafor (MF) - Switzerland
Jurrien Timber (Def) - Netherlands 
Vinicius Jr (Fwd) - Brazil 

The second guy had these 10

Hakim Ziyech (Fwd) - Morocco
Tyler Adams  (MF)  - US
Ismael Kone (MF) - Canada
Krepin Diatta (MF) - Senegal
Aurelien Tchouameni (MF) - France
Pedri (MF) - Spain 
Granit Xhaka (MF) - Switzerland
Rafael Leao (Fwd) - Portugal 
Moises Caicedo (MF) - Ecuador
Rodrigo Betancour (MF) - Uruguay

During the Fox game broadcast and panel shows, they tended to emphasis the ex or current MLS Canadians.  Obviously I can't go back and count the number of times, yet that would be expected because that is there comfort zone and what I sensed.

As an aside, if you watch the Fox nightly World Cup wrap up, you can also sense a growing tension/exasperation with the regular soccer commentators about having Chad Johnson and his "contribution" of being a pain on the ass on the set.  You get the feeling from Kate Abdo and Maurice Edu the sense and reality that they have to deal with this asshat each night for the next few weeks.  I wonder if Fox will gracefully withdraw him from the broadcast because he has "covid?"

8 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

caldwell doesnt think he is ready for a top 5 league.so that is that🤡

When did he say that?

4 hours ago, ghostknownunknown said:

$20M valuation is pretty surprising to me. He has been good at Brugge but not dominant or anything - just consistently good. That valuation m limits the clubs that would be interested to generally the EPL and some of the bigger clubs in the other top 5 leagues.

You know, I find these things such noise, tbh.  I get that they inevitably happen during this highest stage event but they create one more level of distraction, especially for anyone at his first rodeo.  So, with Buchanan, Johnston, Kone, Davies, and others, I really hope that they can deliver the big time performances we need tomorrow.

In a new world where you need to identify your preferred pronouns, the only ones that matter tomorrow are the first  person plural ones:  we/us.  That's how we win.

Edited by BearcatSA