Tajon Buchanan

nolando

21 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Just curious: How many of Tajon's Brugge teammates will be in Qatar?

• Mingolet for sure (as the Belgian back up)
  • Vanaken (Brugge vice-captain) has been included in recent squads so he has a decent chance.
  • Olsen for sure would be going with Denmark, I imagine
  • Odoi only won his first caps for Ghana this year and has just 4 in total (he's Belgian born), but he was part of their last selection. Seems like a recruit specifically to strengthen ahead of the WC, so I think he likely goes to Qatar with the Black Stars.
  • Noa Lang is probably a bubble player for the Netherlands. He could perhaps sneak in. 
  • And finally (and I didn't even notice this) Boyata is a Brugge player now. He was with Hertha Berlin the last few seasons. He's usually picked for Belgium, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him there.

So including Buchanan and Larin, I think we possibly see anywhere from 4 to 8 Brugge players. I would say it ends up being on the higher end of that range.

Edit: Long time Brugge player Mechele has 3 caps for Belgium, but was part of their last selection. Perhaps a long shot?

Edited by Obinna

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

Pretty wild that this Club Brugge team is only the 2nd Belgian team to make the Champions League Round of 16.

Gent did it in 15-16.

Yeah, considering how many players Belgium graduates to higher leagues, you'd think that the club teams would get lucky with the right combination of young players more often.

6 minutes ago, johnyb said:

The other benefit of Brugge advancing so early, is they may rest some starters in the last 2 games giving Larin some hope for playing time.

Where was Larin today. He was initially on thr bench, but was then removed. Did he pick up a knock in warm up?

Another thing, with Brugge now officially qualified for the UCL knockout rounds, does this sway any of you who thought Augsburg would have been the better move for Tajon?

One of the main knocks against Brugge was the expectation they'd be overmatched and would finish last in the group, but they've surprised in that regard. To Augsburg's credit, they are doing better than last season, but they are still very much mid-table and it remains to be seen if they can compete for the European places. 

Edited by Obinna

Just now, Obinna said:

Another thing, with Brugge now officially qualified for the UCL knockout rounds, does this sway any of you who thought Augsburg would have been the better move for Tajon?

One of the main knocks against Brugge was the expectation they'd be overmatched and finish last in the group, but they've surprised in that regard. To Augsburg's credit, they are doing better than last season, but they are still very much mid-table and it remains to be seen if they can compete for the European places. 

Meanwhile Pepi couldn`t cut it at Augsburgh and was loaned out to a mid-table Dutch team.

Edited by narduch

Have to say what I did not expect from a Belgium team, at least not since the old European Cup days with Anderlecht, was the maturity. The football IQ is really up there, they all know how to play the game right. Even the young guys, though some mistakes get made. Also a very well coached team, must say.

You can see how Tajon has matured incredibly, like the way he is always in the right position; so if he has to be behind the ball, he is. He goes forward and attacks space and often in the right way, forcing a foul or an out. He's also very even keel in his personality, even that ridiculous yellow he was shown, he rolled with it.

Makes me really respect the Belgian league, you can see how good it would be for development of any of our rising stars. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

One of the main knocks against Brugge was the expectation they'd be overmatched and would finish last in the group, but they've surprised in that regard. To Augsburg's credit, they are doing better than last season, but they are still very much mid-table and it remains to be seen if they can compete for the European places. 

That's tough for me, because how things turned out, Brugge is really the best move that he possibly could've made- Belgium is a natural step up from MLS, and the fact that they trusted him, he performed well, solidified his spot in the starting lineup, I can't think of many clubs where he could do that and also play Champions League more or less every year while he's there. That said, I can imagine a slightly alternate reality where Tajon gets the Larin treatment- after all, he does come from a farmers league like the MLS, he was developed in a peasant system like the NCAA, and he's Canadian which knocks a good 15% off his value (and talent), so in that regard, I think the path to consistent playing time at Augsburg would've been easier, and the weekly opposition would've been more elite.

But there are about 7 hypotheticals in there, so end of the day, moving to Brugge was probably the best move he could've made. Outside of maybe Eustaquio, I think he might be at the best fitting club for where he's at in his career out of our entire NT.

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

I was one who had slight preference for Augsburg based on what was known at the time.   I never said Club Brugge was a bad move nor was I disappointed in the ultimate decision to go to Brugge.   At Augsburg he would be facing better clubs every week and you could say that that still hold true if you get eliminated early and are over matched like Brugge was last year in CL.     Its great to watch TB in CL so it worked out great, but hindsight is always 20-20.  

Edit.:  speaking only as a viewer, It's more interesting to follow a Cnd overseas that is in a situation like TB.  Specifically, someone who is a cornerstone player in a mid-sized club that's doing well in CL.   Whereas I have discovered that I am slightly less inclined in to follow a similarly elite Cnd player who is surrounded by many other stars (ie.: Davies) and who won't get the same number of touches.   Right now, if CL games involving Bayern and Brugge were on at the same time and i had a choice to watch both, I would choose the Brugge match

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

Edit.:  speaking only as a viewer, It's more interesting to follow a Cnd overseas that is in a situation like TB.  Specifically, someone who is a cornerstone player in a mid-sized club that's doing well in CL.   Whereas I have discovered that I am slightly less inclined in to follow a similarly elite Cnd player who is surrounded by many other stars (ie.: Davies) and who won't get the same number of touches.   Right now, if CL games involving Bayern and Brugge were on at the same time and i had a choice to watch both, I would choose the Brugge match

I'd argue that to date, Davies is at least as influential with Bayern as Tajon is with Brugge. I know that isn't exactly the point you're making but it's not like Alphonso is a wallflower on a team of galacticos.

I'd choose to watch the Brugge match too in CL give the choice, but because I haven't seen Tajon on that kind of stage nearly as often.

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

Whereas I have discovered that I am slightly less inclined in to follow a similarly elite Cnd player who is surrounded by many other stars (ie.: Davies) and who won't get the same number of touches.   Right now, if CL games involving Bayern and Brugge were on at the same time and i had a choice to watch both, I would choose the Brugge match

Just fyi, Davies regularly has 80 to 100+ touches per game (usually in the top 2-3 on the team).  Compare that with Tajon who seems to get about half that amount of touches, and I'm not sure your rationale is sound (noting that as a whole, Bayern does get more touches than Brugge).

6 hours ago, Free kick said:

I was one who had slight preference for Augsburg based on what was known at the time.   I never said Club Brugge was a bad move nor was I disappointed in the ultimate decision to go to Brugge.   At Augsburg he would be facing better clubs every week and you could say that that still hold true if you get eliminated early and are over matched like Brugge was last year in CL.     Its great to watch TB in CL so it worked out great, but hindsight is always 20-20.  

If you'd just hate Bayern like a few of us here you wouldn't have to reason through and sweat about it 🙂

14 hours ago, narduch said:

Pretty wild that this Club Brugge team is only the 2nd Belgian team to make the Champions League Round of 16.

Gent did it in 15-16.

Anderlecht didn't do it in the late 90s or early oughts? I know at the time they had the round of 32 group stage followed by a round of 16 group stage, which really prolonged the CL but I thought they would have. 

5 hours ago, GasPed said:

Just fyi, Davies regularly has 80 to 100+ touches per game (usually in the top 2-3 on the team).  Compare that with Tajon who seems to get about half that amount of touches, and I'm not sure your rationale is sound (noting that as a whole, Bayern does get more touches than Brugge).

If they were facing similar opposition, the average Bayern player would probably get twice as many touches per game compared to your average Brugge player when you consider both clubs' respective style of play, Bayern being heavily possession based and all.