Tajon Buchanan

nolando

16 hours ago, Obinna said:
  • Mingolet for sure (as the Belgian back up)
  • Vanaken (Brugge vice-captain) has been included in recent squads so he has a decent chance.
  • Olsen for sure would be going with Denmark, I imagine
  • Odoi only won his first caps for Ghana this year and has just 4 in total (he's Belgian born), but he was part of their last selection. Seems like a recruit specifically to strengthen ahead of the WC, so I think he likely goes to Qatar with the Black Stars.
  • Noa Lang is probably a bubble player for the Netherlands. He could perhaps sneak in. 
  • And finally (and I didn't even notice this) Boyata is a Brugge player now. He was with Hertha Berlin the last few seasons. He's usually picked for Belgium, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him there.

So including Buchanan and Larin, I think we possibly see anywhere from 4 to 8 Brugge players. I would say it ends up being on the higher end of that range.

Edit: Long time Brugge player Mechele has 3 caps for Belgium, but was part of their last selection. Perhaps a long shot?

Love my man the Professor as we call him in Ghana, Denis Odoi being mentioned here but he has been playing for us consistently 

But what I love even more is that not only is Tajon playing for Brugge but now you have Cyle Larin also playing for Brugge which is a perfect fit for him because he gets to continue to play Champions League football. I mean he did at Besiktas and now at Brugge, I just love it.

16 hours ago, Obinna said:
  • Mingolet for sure (as the Belgian back up)
  • Vanaken (Brugge vice-captain) has been included in recent squads so he has a decent chance.
  • Olsen for sure would be going with Denmark, I imagine
  • Odoi only won his first caps for Ghana this year and has just 4 in total (he's Belgian born), but he was part of their last selection. Seems like a recruit specifically to strengthen ahead of the WC, so I think he likely goes to Qatar with the Black Stars.
  • Noa Lang is probably a bubble player for the Netherlands. He could perhaps sneak in. 
  • And finally (and I didn't even notice this) Boyata is a Brugge player now. He was with Hertha Berlin the last few seasons. He's usually picked for Belgium, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him there.

So including Buchanan and Larin, I think we possibly see anywhere from 4 to 8 Brugge players. I would say it ends up being on the higher end of that range.

Edit: Long time Brugge player Mechele has 3 caps for Belgium, but was part of their last selection. Perhaps a long shot?

Belgium have been searching for that (or those) next centre back for a few years. Mechele and definitely Boyata seem part of that, though neither of them are that much younger.  I will probably see the kid Debast for Anderlecht again tonight; he is the latest. 

Let's hope the search goes on and there remains a tiny chink in their armour.

When Tajon was transferred to Brugge, I believe the majority of posters  were disappointed in that they felt Tajon should have moved to a  higher league. I include myself in that group. He met with Freiburg before Brugge. It's worked out well so far for Tajon and hopefully there are bigger leagues and teams ahead for him

Edited by Kadenge

18 hours ago, cronaldo7 said:

He was looking for it but there was clear contact. 

I just watched the play again this morning.  They repeatedly showed one side field angle that left a little doubt  But when they showed it once from behind left, the Madrid defender”s knee makes hard contact with Tajon’s leg just above his knee… clear penalty.  You have to wonder what the ref is shown in the VAR booth, 

3 hours ago, Macksam said:

Anderlecht didn't do it in the late 90s or early oughts? I know at the time they had the round of 32 group stage followed by a round of 16 group stage, which really prolonged the CL but I thought they would have. 

If they were facing similar opposition, the average Bayern player would probably get twice as many touches per game compared to your average Brugge player when you consider both clubs' respective style of play, Bayern being heavily possession based and all. 

Just to be clear this is for the current format which started in 03-04.

Before that they used to have 2 group stages and before that it was only a knock out tournament.

Club Brugge did lose to Liverpool in the 1978 final

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Just to be clear this is for the current format which started in 03-04.

Before that they used to have 2 group stages and before that it was only a knock out tournament.

Club Brugge did lose to Liverpool in the 1978 final

And at one point it was just for actual champions.  A point of contention with the name now for some real old-timers.  

5 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

I just watched the play again this morning.  They repeatedly showed one side field angle that left a little doubt  But when they showed it once from behind left, the Madrid defender”s knee makes hard contact with Tajon’s leg just above his knee… clear penalty.  You have to wonder what the ref is shown in the VAR booth, 

There is an angle which shows that Tajon stood on the defenders foot/ankle simultaneously to the knee-on-knee contact initiated by the defender. The referee didn't decide there was no foul and book Tajon for diving. He determined that Tajon stepping on the defender was the worse offense, and booked him for the foul.

5 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

There is an angle which shows that Tajon stood on the defenders foot/ankle simultaneously to the knee-on-knee contact initiated by the defender. The referee didn't decide there was no foul and book Tajon for diving. He determined that Tajon stepping on the defender was the worse offense, and booked him for the foul.

If knee on knee  contact happened simultaneously to Tajon standing on the defenders ankle it's harsh for the ref to issue a yellow card. I mean the  knee contact could easily have contributed  toTajon sliding  when he made the hard stop on the ball

22 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

For me it is not clear and obvious to be overturned on VAR. I can understand getting a yellow for a studs up challenge, but this overlooks the fact that Tajon wasn't making a challenge - the defender placed his leg with his own momentum where Tajon was about to plant his foot.

I didn't say I agreed with the final decision. 🙂 

when i saw that play and replay on the highlights, I thought it was a PK because the defender initiated the contact.   The reversal of the call via VAR was strange because there was no clear and obvious reason to overturn the call.   Even more baffling was the decision to issue a Yellow

12 hours ago, sose said:

Probably 3rd. Herdman would start Larin over Pepi

Umm, Herdman would likely factor in national team performance in this hypothetical. As we all should when discussing our players. Club pedigree and situation isn't everything. Far from it.

And on this measure Larin is simply the best there has been in CONCACAF over 2 years.