Herdman new head coach

matty

I liked Zambrano because I thought he was the first foreign manager (since Tony Waiters) to be positive about Canadian players and also maybe the first to have Canada on the front foot. Wasn’t pleased with Herdman at first (or the CSA - but then it’s often difficult to be pleased with the CSA) but I’ve come around. I think he’s improved technically since he was appointed and his general attitude was always unusually good. 

7 hours ago, ECW said:

I liked Zambrano because I thought he was the first foreign manager (since Tony Waiters) to be positive about Canadian players and also maybe the first to have Canada on the front foot. Wasn’t pleased with Herdman at first (or the CSA - but then it’s often difficult to be pleased with the CSA) but I’ve come around. I think he’s improved technically since he was appointed and his general attitude was always unusually good. 

I agree, and as long as John keeps getting better as a coach, he should keep getting results.

Sorry, I usually keep my posts pretty short, but I have a few things to say about John Herdman.

Herdman's the first manager we've had since I've been following the team (1987) who's had the players believing in themselves and the team as a whole.  We used to go to the Azteca knowing we'd lose, especially during Lenarducci's (as he was called by a former player who shall remain anonymous) reign of terror.  He more or less said once, "Well, we're going to lose and have no chance of stringing three passes together, so our plan is to just Wimbledon the ball forward if we manage to get anywhere near it."  Unfortunately, the players tended to listen, and they'd just hoof the ball forward without even looking to see if there was an open teammate within range.

Over the last 30 years, we've never managed to look like a team if we were playing anyone ranked higher than Tahiti, Gibraltar or Montserrat.  Now, even if I weren't Canadian, I'd think this is a fun team to watch.  This is probably the most talented group we've ever had, but we've had talented players before that just never played well as a team.  Herdman's man-management is excellent.  Every one of these guys want to play for their team...for their teammates and for their country.

Herdman was lucky that Phonzie had already committed, and I'm sure that helped persuade others to join, but Herdman's also done a great job bringing more players in.  We're also very lucky that Phonzie and Herdman came on the scene almost at the same time.

I didn't like the way the transition was handled when he switched to the men's team, but now I'm sure glad it happened.  Herdman did great things laying the groundwork for the Women's team, and they're in capable hands with Priestman.  

Thank you Mr. Herdman

- A long-suffering Canadian football supporter

18 hours ago, ECW said:

just like players, coaches also undergo development. Right now its between him and Christiansen as the best coaches in CONCACAF

Edited by LeoH037

14 hours ago, vancanman said:

Sorry, I usually keep my posts pretty short, but I have a few things to say about John Herdman.

Herdman's the first manager we've had since I've been following the team (1987) who's had the players believing in themselves and the team as a whole.  We used to go to the Azteca knowing we'd lose, especially during Lenarducci's (as he was called by a former player who shall remain anonymous) reign of terror.  He more or less said once, "Well, we're going to lose and have no chance of stringing three passes together, so our plan is to just Wimbledon the ball forward if we manage to get anywhere near it."  Unfortunately, the players tended to listen, and they'd just hoof the ball forward without even looking to see if there was an open teammate within range.

Over the last 30 years, we've never managed to look like a team if we were playing anyone ranked higher than Tahiti, Gibraltar or Montserrat.  Now, even if I weren't Canadian, I'd think this is a fun team to watch.  This is probably the most talented group we've ever had, but we've had talented players before that just never played well as a team.  Herdman's man-management is excellent.  Every one of these guys want to play for their team...for their teammates and for their country.

Herdman was lucky that Phonzie had already committed, and I'm sure that helped persuade others to join, but Herdman's also done a great job bringing more players in.  We're also very lucky that Phonzie and Herdman came on the scene almost at the same time.

I didn't like the way the transition was handled when he switched to the men's team, but now I'm sure glad it happened.  Herdman did great things laying the groundwork for the Women's team, and they're in capable hands with Priestman.  

Thank you Mr. Herdman

- A long-suffering Canadian football supporter

I agree with much of this. I’ve been following the team since 1985. It should be a different thing from now on. With respect for Canadian players, should come an easier time of attracting better managers down the road.

But I’m in no hurry for that day. There’s something quite special going on between manager and players here that goes beyond the substitution debates, or best 11 vs most suitable 11 discussions (although they’re still good to have). 

21 hours ago, vancanman said:

Herdman's the first manager we've had since I've been following the team (1987) who's had the players believing in themselves and the team as a whole. 

YIkes! In retrospect, what an awful year to start following the team.

I can’t say I see eye-to-eye with every decision but it’s hard to argue with the overall result. Despite our immensely improved pool, getting guys to play together and act as a team is no slam dunk. We’ve also gone from persistent naive rubes, falling for every dirty trick in the book, to the ones pushing the envelope to the ire of our opponents. 

Credit where it’s due.