Herdman new head coach

matty

13 minutes ago, frmr said:

Yeah, never understood that criticism towards him from people. That's literally part of his job.

I’ve said it in a cynical way…but ultimately in order to be successful salesman better yet a car salesman….you have to have a way with words, or you won’t be successful.

The CMNT has been that brand new shiny car, and he’s been getting guys to buy it. 

I want him in the corporate rooms, and getting us bigger sponsorships. 

^^  Media presence (is that the right phrase?) is of an exaggerated value, in of itself, in this country.  And an important attribute at that.  Doesn't matter what % of it is showman bullshit.  OK, it does matter but we shouldn't be shy as so-called knowledgeable footie fans about being willing to seperate the marketing presence, of that, from the actual job of doing the job.  That happens every day in every mature football nation on planet Earth.   

THIS IS HAPPENING.  Say what you want about Herdman and his skillsets, on-field, off-field, warts and all.  He may be the right man, in the right place, at the right time.   Going to be dramatic but....Winston Churchill sort of stuff. 

Fingers & toes crossed! 

1 hour ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

So Herdman goes into this window with 23 victories. Hart had 20, Osieck 17. Does he have most wins already?

I tried quickly looking up haow many wins Tony Waiters had but couldnt find anything just yet.  He has to be up there becasue he has by far, the longest tenour.  

I still find it amazing in this day and age of Social Media, leaks, discussion boards (like this one), that Herdman and the CSA could keep the Iké Ugbo story completely under wraps and hidden for 2 years while they first reached out to him. He is definitely one dual national that flew under the radar.

The persistence to keep communication lines open with his Ike's team, despite being stonewalled by him and also his club, Chelsea. Then, finally releasing all the news in one media blitz (with an Easter egg from Wheeler) pre WCQ/Edmonton was an amazing feat. Even with the clues released by Wheeler, there were many guesses who it could be, but still much uncertainty even amongst the experts here in this forum, which made it all the more exciting and interesting.

Kudos to them

On 11/6/2021 at 8:37 AM, youllneverwalkalone said:

So Herdman goes into this window with 23 victories. Hart had 20, Osieck 17. Does he have most wins already?

So I was looking at that.  Herdman has a 63% winning percentage compared to Osieck’s 33% winning percentage.  But I don’t recall Osieck facing so many minnows compared to Herdman to pad his records.  Yes you can argue a win is a win no matter who we play against, but kinda misleading when outscoring Barbados, St Kitts, Bermuda, and whoever Caribbean minnow we play against.  Unfortunately Wikiepdia doesn’t have which teams we played under Holger vs Herdman, or else taking away rhe minnows, I can see Herdman closer to Osieck’s winning % or slightly better.

Guessing Arfield and Osorio at least. In the Sharman interview he said that he stopped the training immediately after a vicious tackle and addressed it, after which the Scottish players went one way, the Spanish-speaking players went another way, the Eastern European players went another, and there was one more group I don’t remember. Thing is, the only Spanish speaker (I know of) on that roster was Osorio, and Godinho was playing in Scotland at the time but it’s hard to think of him in a clique with Arfield and opposed to JO.  He also mentioned in the same interview what a huge “me to we” change he has seen in JO. My guess is Scotty and Jonathan and then Milan stepped in as well to add his two cents and no one was happy. 

23 minutes ago, shorty said:

Guessing Arfield and Osorio at least. In the Sharman interview he said that he stopped the training immediately after a vicious tackle and addressed it, after which the Scottish players went one way, the Spanish-speaking players went another way, the Eastern European players went another, and there was one more group I don’t remember. Thing is, the only Spanish speaker (I know of) on that roster was Osorio, and Godinho was playing in Scotland at the time but it’s hard to think of him in a clique with Arfield and opposed to JO.  He also mentioned in the same interview what a huge “me to we” change he has seen in JO. My guess is Scotty and Jonathan and then Milan stepped in as well to add his two cents and no one was happy. 

I don’t believe Arfield was in the squad in Murcia. It was Wotherspoons first cap though.

8 hours ago, nolbertos said:

So I was looking at that.  Herdman has a 63% winning percentage compared to Osieck’s 33% winning percentage.  But I don’t recall Osieck facing so many minnows compared to Herdman to pad his records.  Yes you can argue a win is a win no matter who we play against, but kinda misleading when outscoring Barbados, St Kitts, Bermuda, and whoever Caribbean minnow we play against.  Unfortunately Wikiepdia doesn’t have which teams we played under Holger vs Herdman, or else taking away rhe minnows, I can see Herdman closer to Osieck’s winning % or slightly better.

Under Holger:

April-27-99 Friendly     Northern Ireland     1–1     Canada
May-29-99 Friendly     Canada     1–0     Guatemala
June-02-99 Canada Cup      Canada     2–0     Guatemala
June-04-99 Canada Cup      Canada     0–1     Iran
June-06-99 Canada Cup      Canada     1–2     Ecuador
July-09-99 Friendly      Saudi Arabia     2–0     Canada
September-02-99 Friendly      Canada     1–0     Jamaica
October-06-99 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup qualification      Cuba     0–0     Canada
October-08-99 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup qualification      Canada     2–1     El Salvador
October-10-99 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup qualification      Canada    2–1     Haiti
January 8, 2000 Friendly    Trinidad and Tobago      0–0     Canada
January 11, 2000 Friendly    Canada      2–0     Bermuda
February 13, 2000 2000 Gold Cup    Canada      2–2     Costa Rica
February 15, 2000 2000 Gold Cup    Canada      0–0     South Korea
February 20, 2000 2000 Gold Cup QF    Canada      2–1     Mexico
February 24, 2000 2000 Gold Cup SF    Canada      1–0     Trinidad and Tobago
February 27, 2000 2000 Gold Cup Final    Canada      2–0     Colombia
May 27, 2000 Friendly    Canada      1–0     Trinidad and Tobago
May 30, 2000 Friendly    Canada      2–1     Honduras
June 4, 2000 Friendly    Canada      1–0     Cuba
June 11, 2000 Friendly    Canada      0–0     Cuba
July 16, 2000 Friendly    Canada      0–2     Trinidad and Tobago
July 23, 2000 Friendly    Panama      0–0     Canada
August 15, 2000 Friendly    Mexico      2–0     Canada
September 3, 2000 Friendly    Trinidad and Tobago      4–0     Canada
October 9, 2000 Friendly    Canada      1–0     Panama
November 15, 2000 Friendly    Canada      0–0     Mexico
April 24, 2001 Friendly    Egypt      3–0     Canada
April 26, 2001 Friendly    Iran      0–1     Canada
May 31, 2001 2001 FIFA Confederations Cup    Japan      3–0     Canada
June 2, 2001 2001 FIFA Confederations Cup    Canada      0–0     Brazil
June 4, 2001 2001 FIFA Confederations Cup    Cameroon      2–0     Canada
November 14, 2001 Friendly    Malta      2–1     Canada
January 18, 2002 2002 Gold Cup    Canada      2–0     Haiti
January 22, 2002 2002 Gold Cup    Canada      0–2     Ecuador
January 26, 2002 2002 Gold Cup    Canada      1–1     Martinique
January 30, 2002 2002 Gold Cup    United States      0–0     Canada
February 2, 2002 Friendly    Canada      2–1     South Korea
May 15, 2002 Friendly    Switzerland       1–3     Canada
October 15, 2002 Friendly    Scotland      3–1     Canada
January 18, 2003 Friendly    United States      4–0     Canada
February 12, 2003 Friendly    Libya      2–4     Canada
March 29, 2003 Friendly    Estonia      2–1     Canada
June 1, 2003 Friendly    Germany      4–1     Canada
July 12, 2003 2003 Gold Cup    Canada      1–0     Costa Rica
July 14, 2003 2003 Gold Cup    Canada      0–2     Cuba

43 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I don’t believe Arfield was in the squad in Murcia. It was Wotherspoons first cap though.

I was using this link.

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccer-announces-squad-for-mens-international-friendly-match-in-march/

For the NZ games in Murcia we had Arfield but no Wotherspoon. Also no Cordova or Gutierrez. Oso was the only Spanish speaker that I saw. Godinho would be Portuguese speaking if he does, and I presume Petrasso would be Italian speaking if he does. 

5 minutes ago, shorty said:

I was using this link.

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccer-announces-squad-for-mens-international-friendly-match-in-march/

For the NZ games in Murcia we had Arfield but no Wotherspoon. Also no Cordova or Gutierrez. Oso was the only Spanish speaker that I saw. Godinho would be Portuguese speaking if he does, and I presume Petrasso would be Italian speaking if he does. 

That's strange - maybe injuries? Here is the team that played:

https://ca.soccerway.com/matches/2018/03/24/world/friendlies/canada/new-zealand/2727913/

I think there are two events being mixed up here. There may have been a tussle in Murcia but the incident that Herdman is referring to, if it took place, seems like it would have been in Bradenton during the Nations League Qualification opener.

@narduch. 
I think you may be right, or at least blending incidents into one, which everyone does over time. It would not surprise me though if Arfield, though full of heart and a good guy fundamentally, is also really old school, a la “let the lads sort it out”. Who knows, in the end. 

The more interesting bit in the Sharman interview, I thought, was the behind the scenes info of CSA meetings involving both Canmnt and Canwnt staff where the women’s side had to present 200 page reports and the men’s side had little accountability at all. I could totally see that and gives some insight into how the whole Zambrano Herdman thing might have gone down. 

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

That's strange - maybe injuries? Here is the team that played:

https://ca.soccerway.com/matches/2018/03/24/world/friendlies/canada/new-zealand/2727913/

I think there are two events being mixed up here. There may have been a tussle in Murcia but the incident that Herdman is referring to, if it took place, seems like it would have been in Bradenton during the Nations League Qualification opener.

Thanks. So yes to Wotherspoon but no other Spanish speakers. Maybe it was Bradenton, maybe Murcia. I still suspect Arfield had a role as I said in my reply to narduch, but as in all myth-making there is an element of story-weaving laid over an element of truth.  

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Shhhh, dont think to hard on the actual details, you'll ruin a great story.  Now let me tell you about how Chelseas "stone walled" us in 2018.  

I don't understand this statement. Are you suggesting Herdman is making this up?

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

Under Holger:

(list removed for response)

I think Holger will always be my fav because his era had so much promise, and he was such a great change from the usual CSA coaching carousel.

But that list shows that the margins between being perceived as a successful manager and an unsucessful manager are razor think.  Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, Switzerland ... these are pretty big and to me exceed some of the current big results. But then it drops. Add ties against South Korea, US if we're being generous...he's got about max six impressive results and the rest are pretty average (or terrible, like loses to Estonia and Cuba.)

Edited by The Real Marc