Herdman new head coach

matty

I don’t have the time to listen to it again but if I remember correctly, in the Athletic podcast with Herdman, regarding the fight/tussle he said he talked with the captain, « a scottish lad ». Only Arfield would fit that description so even if he wasn’t part of the fight/tussle, he was at least present. 

Bob McCown with his second soccer podcast in less than a month. Herdman doing the rounds - where does he get the time? Or he must be a great delegator.

https://tinyurl.com/vr55fxds

We talk about his experience coaching Canada's women's program and how he is going to translate his success with them to the men's side. We get some insight on the differences & the similarities he has noticed between the men and the women and his overall appreciation for our Canadian athletes. 

With the MNT currently vying for a spot in the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar, we talk to John about his team, their line up and the advantage his team has hosting games in Canada.

3 hours ago, red card said:

Bob McCown with his second soccer podcast in less than a month. Herdman doing the rounds - where does he get the time? Or he must be a great delegator.

https://tinyurl.com/vr55fxds

We talk about his experience coaching Canada's women's program and how he is going to translate his success with them to the men's side. We get some insight on the differences & the similarities he has noticed between the men and the women and his overall appreciation for our Canadian athletes. 

With the MNT currently vying for a spot in the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar, we talk to John about his team, their line up and the advantage his team has hosting games in Canada.

This was one of the better Herdman podcasts - both McCown and Shannon having no clue about the sport ended up resulting in some different questions being asked.

9 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

That's strange - maybe injuries? Here is the team that played:

https://ca.soccerway.com/matches/2018/03/24/world/friendlies/canada/new-zealand/2727913/

I think there are two events being mixed up here. There may have been a tussle in Murcia but the incident that Herdman is referring to, if it took place, seems like it would have been in Bradenton during the Nations League Qualification opener.

Yes, Herdman didn't provide all the details in the first couple of pods he mentioned the fights.

But in the Footy Prime pod, he says there was a fight in the first camp which he let go. Then there was another fight in the second camp where people went in separate cliques. This time he stepped in and pulled six from the leadership group to put an end to it.

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

For all the members who have doubts about Herdman, listen to what Osorio has to say about him.

His comments about the CSA/Herdman working with the Canadian MLS clubs on player usage when they come back to their clubs are definitely interesting. Also interesting are Osorio's comments about the players initial reactions to the Herdman appointment as coach and the earning of respect that was entailed.

2 hours ago, theaub said:

This was one of the better Herdman podcasts - both McCown and Shannon having no clue about the sport ended up resulting in some different questions being asked.

It's not so much that they're clueless, it's their longtime schtick, McCown moreso than Shannon.  Also it definitely seems that like Cole, Cherry et al Father Time is catching up to them, again, especially McCown.

16 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

It's not so much that they're clueless, it's their longtime schtick, McCown moreso than Shannon.  Also it definitely seems that like Cole, Cherry et al Father Time is catching up to them, again, especially McCown.

I wonder what ol' Don would have thought of Irishman Kevin Kilbane not wearing a poppy?

On 11/9/2021 at 9:44 PM, Gian-Luca said:

His comments about the CSA/Herdman working with the Canadian MLS clubs on player usage when they come back to their clubs are definitely interesting. Also interesting are Osorio's comments about the players initial reactions to the Herdman appointment as coach and the earning of respect that was entailed.

Listened to it begining to end.  Lots on interesting stuff there and revealing.  What a contrast you get with this kind of format versus the in game stock answers of:” we goot go out in the second period and give it 110 percent”.

2 hours ago, lamptern said:

Herdman was being cute/over thinking again on Friday. He used two midfielder and put Davies in a wrong pisition. David bailed him out by a lucky goal.

This is a repeated pattern and I'd like to see Herdman solve it.

Which match did we line up right with a tactical set-up that was appropriate, then start well on the front foot and take it to the rival until scoring first? Only one of the last 7.

If you can't get your team ready from the opening whistle you may pay for it in the long term. 

28 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This is a repeated pattern and I'd like to see Herdman solve it.

Which match did we line up right with a tactical set-up that was appropriate, then start well on the front foot and take it to the rival until scoring first? Only one of the last 7.

If you can't get your team ready from the opening whistle you may pay for it in the long term. 

I hope you understand the implication of your post. If in 6 out of 7 games Herdman didn't get it right, then Canada hasn't been playing at their best. Seeing that we are simply one point out of 1st place, the implication is that on talent Canada is the best team in the region.

Edited by Sal333

4 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I hope you understand the implication of your post. If in 6 out of 7 games Herdman didn't get it right, then Canada hasn't been playing at their best. Seeing that we are one point out of 1st place the implication is that on talent Canada is the best team in the region.

Good take.

Actually in that MLS chat they do on Youtube, with Wiebe and others, they were saying something similar. That we are not even reaching our potential and that we have even gotten worse results in some matches that we could have. Apart from praising our ability to get points from a match that we dominated but did not play that well in, namely this last. 

We are due for a game vs. a tough rival where we are clicking, can score first then exploit the rival attacking to hit them on a counter and do damage. Half way through the Ocho we have yet to see that.

If we can match the Mexico midfield, and we do well at DM to help with their attackers, with our outside mids tracking back properly and not late (speaking of Davies and Tajon), then we may be in for an attractive game. Understanding that the extreme cold really could be debilitating and we may find we'll have to be a less subtle.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I hope Herdman goes back to a 3-5-2 vs Mexico and has Davies on the wing, I realize Larin and Cav aren't 100% and Ike is new and perhaps not up to speed with the system but Phonzie to me has to play on the wing, he was trying to do too much played in a central attacking position! I'm sure JH has looked at the big picture in this 2 match window and has a good tactical plan for Tuesday, every match becomes bigger than the last at this point!