Herdman new head coach

matty

1 hour ago, DigzTFC said:

At times we can be quite cynical of the mental side of the game.

I found this 2015 video after the Mexico game.  Herdman is a legend in the making by his own design. 

Tell me this is not relevant to our turnaround.

Thanks for posting this. I saw it years ago but it was great to hear it again.

I hope people can see why players both on the men's and women's sides will run through a wall for him.

Another thing, I still can't understand the "he's a used car salesman" tag. This man is the furthest thing from a used car salesman. Over the years he has been saying the same things over and over and his players both on the men's and women's sides confirm what he says.

We should thank our lucky stars for getting him here. He's not the saviour of Canadian soccer but he is one of the best things that happened to Canadian soccer.

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

1987.  Wasn't that the year that the match fixing scandal story broke?

Yes, though I was thinking more along the lines that he just missed watching Canada in the World Cup & the start of our drought in that regard, with two major disappointments in 1988 (blowing the 2-0 first leg lead against the US in Olympic qualifying & then even worse, being upset on away goals in our 2-game WCQ S-F series against Guatemala). Forget about Gold Cup 2019 Q-F against Haiti, I'm still scarred by those two events!

(I started following the team in 1980/81 but became a dedicated fan in 1985, so I guess my timing was a bit more fortunate)

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

YIkes! In retrospect, what an awful year to start following the team.

Yes, unfortunately.  

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

1987.  Wasn't that the year that the match fixing scandal story broke?

I guess the Merlion Cup scandal was still in the news in '87, but it was also the year the CSL started.  I started following the 86ers, and the national team by extension.  There was a World Cup film (at The Ridge, for anyone from Vancouver) and they managed to mention Canada for about two seconds.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Yes, though I was thinking more along the lines that he just missed watching Canada in the World Cup & the start of our drought in that regard, with two major disappointments in 1988 (blowing the 2-0 first leg lead against the US in Olympic qualifying & then even worse, being upset on away goals in our 2-game WCQ S-F series against Guatemala). Forget about Gold Cup 2019 Q-F against Haiti, I'm still scarred by those two events!

(I started following the team in 1980/81 but became a dedicated fan in 1985, so I guess my timing was a bit more fortunate)

That was never a penalty in the first leg, we were Concacafed!

6 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Another thing, I still can't understand the "he's a used car salesman" tag. This man is the furthest thing from a used car salesman. Over the years he has been saying the same things over and over and his players both on the men's and women's sides confirm what he says.

Agreed.  A used car salesman doesn't believe in what he is saying.  Herdman does and that belief is infectious.

I understand the label of "salesman", but I see that as a good thing because he is obviously excellent at selling the program to the players, and getting them to buy in. That's where I see that description begin and end though. All the "used car salesman" shit just comes from the usual suspects of our support who either have personal vendettas or don't actually really know what they're talking about when it comes to the management of our program.

As well as it all worked out, a memorable victory that puts top of the group, we were inches away from only getting a point and the draw feeling like a loss after being 2 goals up late on and although I think most of us would have taken a draw before kick off but  that would have hurt! I would think JH is analyzing his subs and the last 10 minutes or so of the match, I was calling for Piette in the match thread and expected to see him, we were in a bit of trouble!

3 minutes ago, gator said:

As well as it all worked out, a memorable victory that puts top of the group, we were inches away from only getting a point and the draw feeling like a loss after being 2 goals up late on and although I think most of us would have taken a draw before kick off but  that would have hurt! I would think JH is analyzing his subs and the last 10 minutes or so of the match, I was calling for Piette in the match thread and expected to see him, we were in a bit of trouble!

Perhaps I am wrong but I think Herdman subbed in Piette at the GC before Mexico scored the winner...if that is correct perhaps he wanted to go a different way to close out the game

While I would have been fine with a Piette substitution, the issue late was that nobody had the legs to close out crossers in the last 10 minutes. Adekugbe played a great two matches but was clearly cooked, and Davies had also put in a shift. Osorio is a handy player but not quick or defensive minded enough for that task. Did we have anyone on the bench that could have done that job? Maybe Millar?

15 hours ago, jonovision said:

While I would have been fine with a Piette substitution, the issue late was that nobody had the legs to close out crossers in the last 10 minutes. Adekugbe played a great two matches but was clearly cooked, and Davies had also put in a shift. Osorio is a handy player but not quick or defensive minded enough for that task. Did we have anyone on the bench that could have done that job? Maybe Millar?

Perhaps we could have subbed in a 3rd CB like Cornelius to help with the crosses that Mexico were dropping into the box?

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, red card said:

At least with the Ref, he was the only one on this forum who truly despised the Preacher when he was leading the women and now the men. I believe off base in both instances but credit for his consistency and actually following the women's side.

I - along with many on this forum - follow the women's side. It doesn't make The Ref special in any way. And there's nothing praiseworthy about consistency in of itself. For example someone can be a consistent philanderer but I doubt the mate will find it praiseworthy.

Edited by Sal333

3 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I - along with many on this forum - follow the women's side. It doesn't make The Ref special in any way. And there's nothing praiseworthy about consistency in of itself. For example someone can be a consistent philanderer but I doubt the mate will find it praiseworthy.

Not that many are engaged with women's team based on forum posts. More action elsewhere on the interwebs which can't be said for the men's side of this forum. The Ref is a Voyageur outlier as I would guess many of his 5.1k posts are about the women's teams. 

The rest of the Herdman haters only where triggered when he was appointed as the men's manager. And as noted by Herdman himself and by reading the first few pages of this thread, some of this hostility wasn't driven entirely by their views on football matters.

1 hour ago, red card said:

At least with the Ref, he was the only one on this forum who truly despised the Preacher when he was leading the women and now the men. I believe off base in both instances but credit for his consistency and actually following the women's side.

Yes, he has been a consistent maroon in all his hate posts: CSA, Herdman, Labbe, puppies, kittens.  God bless consistency!

3 hours ago, red card said:

True, but I have not criticized Herdman while leading the men's side.  On the contrary, I said something like I will applaud Herdman if he qualifies us to Qatar.  So far it looks he is doing a great job, far better than all previous coaches with the exception perhaps of Tony Waiters (RIP).

• 3 weeks later...