General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

On 10/22/2021 at 3:16 PM, Shway said:

is it safe to assume the January window will be in Vancouver? I'm trying to go to go to as much home games as I can.
209155076_ScreenShot2021-10-22at3_15_37PM.png.2a41ee287f29ea9de12e7571a37032af.png

It is a very safe best to make at this point, there really is no other place for them to play on what will likely be a cold January day. I am going Thursday to Monday. Air Canada is still quite reasonable too at $242. 

55 minutes ago, Cblake said:

It is a very safe best to make at this point, there really is no other place for them to play on what will likely be a cold January day. I am going Thursday to Monday. Air Canada is still quite reasonable too at $242. 

I’ve learned that Swoop and Flair are only good if you plan on travelling with 1 outfit/nothing.

Just now, Shway said:

I’ve learned that Swoop and Flair are only good if you plan on travelling with 1 outfit/nothing.

Absolutely, using Swoop for Edmonton, but its a one night in and out trip for me to see Can Mex so will be traveling very lightly. Have a knapsack that will working perfectly , but anything longer like a few days in Van it's Air Canada for me. 

The Canadian Men's National Team has been fined 15 000 Swiss Francs ($20 000 CAD) for ‘invasion of the field of play’ in their match vs El Salvador, & for invasion of the field of play, throwing of objects & failure to comply with COVID protocol vs Panama. 

Pretty easy to think of what caused these…

Edited by Cblake

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

On this day in in 1980, a mere 41 years ago Canada defeated the visiting United States 2-1, during North American Group of Confederation Championship (WCQ Spain ’82), before 13,598 fans, at Vancouver’s Empire Stadium. Robert Iarusci & Branko Segota scored for hosts, while Greg Villa had only tally for U.S.

image.png.fe438dd1298c2e3c25d907ada61f25ee.png

Aw! That's where I have seen Ryan Gauld's hairstyle before!  He'd fit right in with some of this lot.

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

On this day in in 1980, a mere 41 years ago Canada defeated the visiting United States 2-1, during North American Group of Confederation Championship (WCQ Spain ’82), before 13,598 fans, at Vancouver’s Empire Stadium. Robert Iarusci & Branko Segota scored for hosts, while Greg Villa had only tally for U.S.

These guys all look like they’re in their mid to late 40s, have been working at Beaver Lumber for years and like to drink Labatt 50, not trying to qualify for the World Cup 

3 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

These guys all look like they’re in their mid to late 40s, have been working at Beaver Lumber for years and like to drink Labatt 50, not trying to qualify for the World Cup 

It definitely was a different time, when a team of available players playing wherever were thrown together with a part time head coach at the helm. The national team has certainly come a long way from those days. 

30 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Everyone looked old in the 70s and 80s.

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

Something about that band through the middle of the jersey is very Whitecaps, I'd say.

Edited by nolando

Hey guys, on the Swoop travel luggage situation:

I've flown Swoop (mostly to Edmonton) at least a dozen times. They say you are only allowed a very tiny carry on (16 inches x 6' x 13' - that's small!). * I have never once had this baggage policy actually applied. 

I always take an athletic back pack which is much larger, though not suitcase size. I can fit 2 pairs of pants (jeans) in addition to what I'm wearing on the plane, 5-6 t-shirts, a thicker long sleeve shirt, some gym-wear gear, a pair of running shoes, several pairs of underwear and socks, and I also have room for electronic devices and toiletries (keep any liquid products in very small containers or they will be confiscated - about 3 ounces or less). I also ensure if I need thick sweat shirt I wear it on the plane.

I realize the time may come when I get nailed with an over-size additional baggage fee, BUT its never ever happened so I'll take my chances. 

PS - I also keep the backpack down low so as not to draw attention. I honestly don't think they care. When it comes time to board a plane they are all about expediting the process not taking someone aside and wasting precious manpower to slap them with extra fees.

Take what I say based upon your own comfort level but that is my honest experience with Swoop.

* I'll post this on the Edmonton travel thread as well in case it is helpful.

Edited by Wayverider

3 hours ago, Cblake said:

The game is here and so is the Canadian team lineup

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

This doesn't mean much but one stat that is either funny or sort of disappointing is Atiba and Vitoria are the only players on our current roster that have scored a goal against non-CONCACAF opposition.

Is the last time we faced non-CONCACAF opposition 2016? 

edit: Yes we did, 2018 vs NZ. We haven't faced European or SA competition since 2015 though I think.

Edited by VinceA

57 minutes ago, VinceA said:

This doesn't mean much but one stat that is either funny or sort of disappointing is Atiba and Vitoria are the only players on our current roster that have scored a goal against non-CONCACAF opposition.

Is the last time we faced non-CONCACAF opposition 2016? 

edit: Yes we did, 2018 vs NZ. We haven't faced European or SA competition since 2015 though I think.

We played Iceland in the January 2020 camp, so we have played European opposition somewhat recently (although we didn't score against them). Last time we scored against European or SA competition was in the 2017 friendly away to Scotland, Fraser Aird got our goal in a 1-1 draw. Hopefully next year some of our guys will be able to get their first goal against a team from outside of CONCACAF!

The pressure is on. FIFA has moved up the 2026 Canada-USA-Mexico World Cup site inspection in order to bring their review crew to Edmonton to be able to experience the scene of a potentially sold out Commonwealth Stadium.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/soccer/jones-fifa-to-take-in-world-cup-qualifiers-at-commonwealth-stadium/wcm/3d6ba47f-909b-4f61-85b3-8abc2b70a572?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&fbclid=IwAR0UZ26LYvKupp3ThyaD5GJSDdfHwzJbA062BagW69K_1z9FTM4jhx3MDkE#Echobox=1635893568

Does anyone know how much CSA keeps from the gate receipts of say the last BMO Field game or the upcoming games at Commonwealth Stadium?

The reason I ask is because Herdman got all giddy about a 15 million windfall if they make the 2022 WC. Don't get me wrong 15 million is nothing to sneeze at but divided by 4 years that works out to 3.75 million a year. That's the reason for my question about gate receipts. Can't CSA make that much by simply staging 5 or 6 games a year?

Edited by Sal333

On 11/2/2021 at 12:24 AM, Cblake said:

It definitely was a different time, when a team of available players playing wherever were thrown together with a part time head coach at the helm. The national team has certainly come a long way from those days. 

The players would have been playing in the NASL in 1980 so most of these guys and quite possibly all would have been fully pro in a league comparable in playing standards to MLS in the present day. Canada dominated the North American domestic roster spots in the NASL because of the strength of local semi-pro leagues like the NSL in southern Ontario and the large wave of recent immigration from Europe post-WWII.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot