General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

@glasscity tweeted that BC Place will be getting new turf December and January. So the USA match may be elsewhere or seeing as it is near the end of January the new turf may already be installed?

https://twitter.com/GlassCityFC/status/1451600807023894532?s=20

Or...…perhaps the turf is being replaced FOR the WCQ!

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

affect of weather on turf  and Jamaican fans.

The grass at BMO will be fine. There will be lots of Jamaicans in attendance (if the game is indeed in Toronto), but it's nothing to be overly concerned about. 

Even the oft-discussed 2008 WCQ against Jamaica was overwhelmingly pro-Canada, and that was well before the team became the phenomenon it is now.

8 minutes ago, RS said:

The grass at BMO will be fine. There will be lots of Jamaicans in attendance (if the game is indeed in Toronto), but it's nothing to be overly concerned about.

You'll have to pardon me if I am not as confident as you on either point, and you know I am familiar with what goes on re the BMO turf :)

9 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

The way Canada has started to jump aboard the bandwagon, I don't think we need to worry about another El Salvador-esque match occuring anywhere in the country

I get this feeling as well, but it's still Jamaica in Toronto. It would help some if they are out of it come March, which is very possible. 

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

You'll have to pardon me if I am not as confident as you on either point, and you know I am familiar with what goes on re the BMO turf :)

I don't care to argue the Jamaica point again, but here's the current hybrid turf on display on March 7, 2020. It's actually in better condition then than it was for the three recent Canada matches.

45 minutes ago, RS said:

I don't care to argue the Jamaica point again, but here's the current hybrid turf on display on March 7, 2020. It's actually in better condition then than it was for the three recent Canada matches.

That's fine, if winter is basically over and there isn't a ton of snow.  But all the undersoil heating and synthetic fibers in the world can't beat Mother Nature if she's pissed off, and neither you nor I can predict that.  Dammit Jim, I'm a groundskeeper not a miracle worker.

2 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

The way Canada has started to jump aboard the bandwagon, I don't think we need to worry about another El Salvador-esque match occuring anywhere in the country

It will continue to happen. It still happens in the US. So much so vs Mexico, they play WCQ only in small stadiums in middle America. It happened versus Costa Rica in the last cycle when they played it NJ and lost. Will happen vs ES, Honduras & Guatemala if they pick the wrong cities. 

The most recent Canada vs ES was pretty tame by historical standards in terms of size and level of support. There have many matches in the 90s with 80-90% visiting team supporters. Honduras 08 WCQ in Montreal was a disaster. Plus, with Canada having no supporters culture of note until recently, visiting supporters from 13 year girls to 65 year grandmothers easily took over the stadium with 90 minutes of songs/chants - prime example being Chile vs Canada in u20 07 World Cup.

We might be getting more people more passionate about supporting Canada's national team but for many countries, they have the advantage of their support being embedded in their soul by passion & cultural factors passed on over generations.

On 10/22/2021 at 1:47 PM, RS said:

The grass at BMO will be fine. There will be lots of Jamaicans in attendance.

Like the parents of half our team? :)

If we've qualified by then, we should do a joint scarf with the Reggae Boyz. This connection is something to be celebrated imo. Particularly if Canada generally end up on top.

Edited by youllneverwalkalone
Spelling

11 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

If we've qualified by then, we should do a joint scarf with the Reggae Boyz. This connection is something to be celebrated imo. Particularly if Canada generally end up on top.

The Jamaica game could be one of three things, a huge celebration, a total nail biter or something down right depressing. I would love one, be ok with another and dread the last option. This is going to be quite the ride until March. 

I perdict the Jamaica match will be must-win.

I'm half joking, sadly. If we beat Jamaica we go to Qatar, if we don't, we try to make Qatar in Panama away. 

I'd go anywhere but Toronto so there is no hint of anything but Canada support. Unless the CSA can use all their Canada Red contacts, and the Voyageurs contacts, and sell 75% of the place before general sales. But what is the point? Is the only "good" reason that Toronto fans want to see the national team again? 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

16 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm half joking, sadly. If we beat Jamaica we go to Qatar, if we don't, we try to make Qatar in Panama away. 

I'd go anywhere but Toronto so there is no hint of anything but Canada support. Unless the CSA can use all their Canada Red contacts, and the Voyageurs contacts, and sell 75% of the place before general sales. But what is the point? Is the only "good" reason that Toronto fans want to see the national team again? 

Not going to get too dragged into this conversation.  There is a 100% a very large Jamaican population in the Greater Toronto Area.  I will say that it didn't play a factor when Canada beat Jamaica at BMO 3-1 back in 2014 or 2-0 back in 2017.

38 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The "good" reason might be that Canada is undefeated at BMO in competitive matches and like it or not, it's the best soccer facility in the country and the players prefer to play there. 

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The "good" reason might be that Canada is undefeated at BMO in competitive matches and like it or not, it's the best soccer facility in the country and the players prefer to play there. 

Just quoting you so that those who have you on ignore can see your response.

5 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Agree that it should be celebrated. 

Also worth emphasizing that bulk of team is from the GTA, has family and friends in the GTA, and enjoy the chance to visit/play in front of them. Im not opposed to it being played elsewhere, but the views of the players may also play a role on where that game gets placed.