General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

41 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Another option would be to have Canada paired up with one of the five team groups in UEFA 2026 World Cup Qualifying similar to what they have done with Qatar to get them matches against quality opponents. It would get Canada 10 games in the lead up to 2026. It is certainly something worth looking into. 

I forgot about that. Interesting that Qatar started this year going undefeated in 10 matches and is now winless in 6 - getting thrashed a few times in the process.

That would be a nice option for us.

I didn't realize Qatar played friendlies against a UEFA group. Out of curiosity I looked it up to see which teams they got to play. The group they paired up with was Serbia, Portugal, Luxembourg, Republic of Ireland, and Azerbaijan. It would be really cool to see Canada play Portugal, and kinda neat to see them against Serbia and Ireland. I doubt too many people would be all that excited about Luxembourg and Azerbaijan. On the whole I would probably prefer meaningful games in Nations League. Especially if we could host the knockout rounds this time around (we would be favourite to win our group if we are still ranked top 4 in CONCACAF at the time of the draw).

29 minutes ago, Kent said:

I didn't realize Qatar played friendlies against a UEFA group. Out of curiosity I looked it up to see which teams they got to play. The group they paired up with was Serbia, Portugal, Luxembourg, Republic of Ireland, and Azerbaijan. It would be really cool to see Canada play Portugal, and kinda neat to see them against Serbia and Ireland. I doubt too many people would be all that excited about Luxembourg and Azerbaijan. On the whole I would probably prefer meaningful games in Nations League. Especially if we could host the knockout rounds this time around (we would be favourite to win our group if we are still ranked top 4 in CONCACAF at the time of the draw).

Nation's League is completely separate that the WCQ windows that will exist because their still will be CONCACAF qualifying. Guess it would depend on when the dates fall. 

52 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Nation's League is completely separate that the WCQ windows that will exist because their still will be CONCACAF qualifying. Guess it would depend on when the dates fall. 

Of course. I didn't really think that one through apparently! Thanks.

One thing I don't like about the canadian program is how poorly the website is kept. Particularly in regards to staff updates.

I don't think we ever got any press release or announcement on coaching additions and departures. I don't know if that is common but it is odd that Eric Tenllado and Remko Bicentini joined the staff and we didn't find out until we actually saw them on the bench.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

That would be sad for fans, but playing a series of away games would help build some mental toughness.  

Not sure playing Ireland away preps us better for 2026 compared to playing at home.  Depends on how friendly availability shapes out I guess.  

2 minutes ago, theaub said:

Not sure playing Ireland away preps us better for 2026 compared to playing at home.  Depends on how friendly availability shapes out I guess.  

Those European away friendlies might be useful for European based players. Playing at home in October, November and March isn't going to really benefit us anyhow from a WC preparation perspective. 

4 hours ago, Kent said:

Qatar must be paying these soccer federations a fortune to play these games

8 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Not sure where else to put, but have heard from someone who's info I trust that the March game vs Jamaica is down to Toronto and Montreal... not necessarily new info, but thought I'd share

Ahhhh, really hope it’s not in Toronto. Not because I don’t think it should be there, it’s just the large Jamaican population might sway some of the support their way. 

Montreal deserves a game but we really need them to fill that stadium and I’m not 100% sure if it would. 

4 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Ahhhh, really hope it’s not in Toronto. Not because I don’t think it should be there, it’s just the large Jamaican population might sway some of the support their way. 

Montreal deserves a game but we really need them to fill that stadium and I’m not 100% sure if it would. 

With two away matches this one was always going to be Montreal or Toronto. Montreal is interesting tho, because Saputo seems too small and when I think of Big O I think of the joke the field was during the playoffs a few years back

I don't have time at the moment to catch up on the Canada vs Mexico thread. I just want to say...

Canada decided we could sit the guy who is leading the French Ligue 1 in scoring to start the game. We can also sit the guy who scored against Mexico in Azteca, as well as scoring a club goal against a Mexican club in Azteca, as well as scoring a goal in around -15 Celsius weather for club, in a game against Mexico at around -9 Celsius.

Then we jump out to a 2-0 lead and win 2-1 against Mexico, to lead the final round of CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying after 8 games. WHAT IS GOING ON!!! This is insane. I hope any newer fans can understand how insane this is.