Stephen Eustaquio

I checked the score before I got on a call and saw Steph got another early yellow, then when I hang up I see he’s scored a goal. My Steph to the prem agenda is about to get even louder 

Porto sits one point behind CB, and play Atleti while CB plays Leverkeusen. I hope Porto comes out looking for revenge and wins the group.

Edited by InglewoodJack

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I checked the score before I got on a call and saw Steph got another early yellow, then when I hang up I see he’s scored a goal. My Steph to the prem agenda is about to get even louder 

Porto sits one point behind CB, and play Atleti while CB plays Leverkeusen. I hope Porto comes out looking for revenge and wins the group.

Did he assist on any of the other 3 goals to complete his Gordy?

1 hour ago, Treppy2 said:

There have been many wild endings to soccer matches, but this one was one of the craziest ones I've ever seen. 

It is perhaps a moot point now, but since the PK was award on VAR after the final whistle, then the whistle in my view has to go the second the keeper makes the save or the ball goes in the net. The ref can't allow the team to have another two rebound chances, if time had expired then time had expired. So its just as well they missed the follow up chances as IMO they shouldn't have been allowed.

On another note, that is some serious post match taunting by the Bayer player #5 on the Athletico player who accidentally blocked the third shot attempt from going into the net.

Edited by Gian-Luca

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Looked like a tough pk call to me. Yes it hit the player's arm but the arm was by his side no? It wasn't extended?

Looked to me like it hits a hand just before it hits the arm. If there was contact with the hand, then it’s a good call because his hand is definitely not in a natural position. If the call was the secondary contact with the arm against the body, it’s a terrible call. 

11 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

It is perhaps a moot point now, but since the PK was award on VAR after the final whistle, then the whistle in my view has to go the second the keeper makes the save or the ball goes in the net. The ref can't allow the team to have another two rebound chances, if time had expired then time had expired. So its just as well they missed the follow up chances as IMO they shouldn't have been allowed.

On another note, that is some serious post match taunting by the Bayer player #5 on the Athletico player who accidentally blocked the third shot attempt from going into the net.

It’s 2022 it’s time they bring in a time clock that people can actually see. The fourth official should be keeping time and he can assist in running the stadium clock, stopping it at certain times . What else does the fourth official really do ? 

2 hours ago, SoccMan said:

It’s 2022 it’s time they bring in a time clock that people can actually see. The fourth official should be keeping time and he can assist in running the stadium clock, stopping it at certain times . What else does the fourth official really do ? 

Crazy how bad time wasting has gotten and how inaccurate added time really is.  I read a report recently based on the first couple months of premier league games this season.  The average amount of time spent actually playing soccer in a 90 minute game was only around 55 minutes. 

Some of the downtime is part of the game but 35 minutes is extremely excessive.  Players are playing too many games right now anyways.  A few changes are needed.

Edited by Corazon

14 hours ago, costarg said:

Agreed, craziest finish I can recall.  Getting  booted from CL like that is harsh, but well deserved.

TFC won a match a few years ago at home to Atlanta where they were leading by 1, the final whistle blew, and the referee was then instructed to review the replay where he determined there was a foul in the box. 

The Atlanta player (Pity Martinez according to Wikipedia) ended up shooting wide of the goal, so it was slightly less anti-climactic than the save, and crossbar that we saw here. 😄 

On 10/26/2022 at 2:32 PM, Lansdude said:

I wonder when the last time the top-4 league teams in a group were bounced (Atletico/Leverkusen in this case, potentially), and the non-top-4 league teams went through? I feel like this is a once in ten years occurence.

It could happen with the right results in Group D this year.
image.png.16945b24dac16cdd5038b8eda0054045.png

2021-22 Group G
image.png.65356acee740cc96c860fdf6775d33c5.png

That's all I found, going back to 2000-01. There were about 6 groups where there was only 1 big-4 league team and they didn't make it out of the group.

He is a key player for Porto now. Very involved on both sides of the ball. It's amazing how high up the field he gets. Yesterday at times he was right up with the striker in the box. Hard to believe not long ago he was in 3rd div Portugal and  had that serious injury where he was out for almost 1 yr. Just hoping  Atiba can get 2 or 3 league games in before Japan. If he does his lack of playing time may be a blessing in disguise.  Staq needs a quality partner in central midfield if he is going to excel in Qatar 

On 10/26/2022 at 9:31 PM, footballfreak said:

Looked to me like it hits a hand just before it hits the arm. If there was contact with the hand, then it’s a good call because his hand is definitely not in a natural position. If the call was the secondary contact with the arm against the body, it’s a terrible call. 

You aren't alone in this kind of interpretation, but I 100% disagree with it. Ask someone who is running in one direction to all of a sudden try to jump the other direction or contort their body to get their head back where they were coming from, and their arm will reach out instinctively to keep their balance, otherwise your center of gravity goes out of whack. It seems when it comes to handballs in the box people seem to believe a "natural position" is shorthand for "arms stapled to their backs".

Terrible call, and yet another data point to the absurdity that comes with VAR. It's also brought up an issue I hadn't thought of though. The ref signals the end of the game with a triple whistle. What is the signal for "hold on a second, I'm not sure if the game actually is finished after all, give me a minute"? Without VAR I don't think there was a realistic scenario where this would apply. Maybe it would have been possible if an assistant pointed out to the ref they didn't finish the full 45 minutes or something, or the ref didn't notice the flag was up for an offense of some sort.