Stephen Eustaquio

22 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Two Canadian Internationals born outside of Canada

Two other Internationals born in Canada

Are you including Arfield in that first category?  Because I think Rangers are officially out.

Good point on that Sevilla keeper.  Though (thankfully?) they're all but officially out.

2 hours ago, GasPed said:

Are you including Arfield in that first category?  Because I think Rangers are officially out.

Good point on that Sevilla keeper.  Though (thankfully?) they're all but officially out.

I started going along the lines of the original comment of Canadians potentially making the last 16 and then quickly teetered off to all Canadians in this years Group Stage.

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Apparently Liverpool is looking closely at Florentino Luis, a midfielder at Benfica. Does anyone know much about him? Numbers wise he doesn’t look much better than Steph- he’s 2 years younger, but I’m curious to see if any of the big clubs who go shopping in Portugal will keep their eye on him.

I mean I'm cool with him being a Porto for a while. Not everyone needs to immediately bounce right after showing some good form.

Edited by VinceA

17 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I mean I'm cool with him being a Porto for a while. Not everyone needs to immediately bounce right after showing some good form.

Ditto.

Even if he played the rest of his career at Porto that would be very impressive. Big club with a realistic chance to go deep in UCL, or to win the EL if they drop down. And of course, they're always amongst the favorites for domestic trophies. 

On the other hand, if he cements himself as a starter and does so for another season or two, he's still young enough for a move up to a big club in a top 4 league. 

Either way, he's got a bright future. 

On 10/19/2022 at 9:31 AM, InglewoodJack said:

Apparently Liverpool is looking closely at Florentino Luis, a midfielder at Benfica. Does anyone know much about him? Numbers wise he doesn’t look much better than Steph- he’s 2 years younger, but I’m curious to see if any of the big clubs who go shopping in Portugal will keep their eye on him.

First off, like others have said already, Stephen is just fine exactly where he is. He should continue to focus on solidifying his standing at FC Porto & Primeira Liga first.  If he accomplishes that, good things will happen & everything else will take care of itself.

As to Florentino Luis, I would say he's not only younger, he's also a bigger & more physical player who's been a consistent starter as a 6 in Benfica's 4-2-3-1 lineup. He can also play as an 8, but he really hasn't shown a lot of dynamic ball skills to be all that effective in the final 3rd. Benfica are top of the table in Portugal & are undefeated so far this season. That includes four Champions League games. (Two of which were against PSG, both ending in a draw)

And for anyone may be interested, in a little less than 80 minutes, the Portuguese Classico: Benfica vs. FC Porto will be kicking off.