Stephen Eustaquio

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if he was the one who pops up to get a goal at the WC.  Out attackers will draw a lot of attention and he could maybe just sneak one in unmarked.  

Hope he continues with his hot streak into Qatar. If JH plans to utilize Staq the same way as Porto, we are going to need a 3rd mid, to cover when he pushes up field

He was also on free kick duty today. They gave him the one that was right outside the 18 yard box in a really good position but he put it high over the bar. If he starts to be the regular option for free kicks, he’ll get a few more goals I’m sure. I remember he had a beautiful free kick golazo in the gold cup last year 

2 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I'd be interested to see if Herdman adjusts Eustaquio's role for Canada, as he has mainly been used centrally or even as a 6. But it seems he has blossomed into a good CAM at Porto.

Probably can't go wrong with either role, as long as he is on the field! :D

In the Porto matches I’ve seen he’s playing box to box (if one includes the entirety of both boxes in that equation). He seems to have more licence with Porto than with Canada, sometimes dropping back into the middle of defence to make a back 5 and then ending up deep in the opposing box… all on the same sequence. He covers a hell of a lot of ground. 

I wonder if one of the reasons that his role is more restricted for Canada is that he defers to Hutch somewhat. Although I’m a big Hutchinson fan, in a way it’s too bad Kaye has been out of form. Eustaquio, Osorio and Kaye might be the most fluid, adaptable and quick three man midfield we have  

Edited by ECW

On 11/12/2022 at 5:29 PM, Califax said:

I saw the thread was hot and had a heart attack thinking he got hurt.

Think before you post for christ sake. 

Seriously, there needs to be 3 different types of "Hot" threads.

"Hot - bad news"

"Hot - don't worry, everybody is fine"

"Hot - thread has gone way off topic"

Interesting to play the butterfly effect game with this guy. I am not trying to stir anything up, just a fun exercise:

Gets called up to Canada u17, then becomes part of Portuguese youth teams. Moves to Cruz Azul, in first game gets a red card but after VAR turns into a yellow. Later in that game he sustains a serious knee injury. While rehabbing he commits to Canada and one of his first games back is playing for Canadian NT.

What if he never moves back to North America? What if he gets sent off, and therefore never injured? In a weird way, his disastrous time in Mexico might be what made him commit to Canada (or maybe simply that soon). I know this is complete speculation, but I can't help think about it.

19 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Interesting to play the butterfly effect game with this guy. I am not trying to stir anything up, just a fun exercise:

Gets called up to Canada u17, then becomes part of Portuguese youth teams. Moves to Cruz Azul, in first game gets a red card but after VAR turns into a yellow. Later in that game he sustains a serious knee injury. While rehabbing he commits to Canada and one of his first games back is playing for Canadian NT.

What if he never moves back to North America? What if he gets sent off, and therefore never injured? In a weird way, his disastrous time in Mexico might be what made him commit to Canada (or maybe simply that soon). I know this is complete speculation, but I can't help think about it.

His road was certainly a winding one but I believe Mauro had always been steering him to at least check out the Canada side of things, even after Zambrano straight up ignored him on his Portugal visit in 2017 (who the hell else did he go watch then? Pedro Pacheco?)

19 minutes ago, El Diego said:

On one hand, I wonder if Steph would be on Portugal's radar if he wasn't ours- there are only two portuguese league mids on their team, and only Otavio has never played a higher level, but at the same time, considering form, I think he's good enough to be their version of our Liam Fraser roster spot, but it still is a very hard team to make.

On the other hand, does Porto show the same level of interest in him if he didn't play the way he did for Canada? He was loaned around the same we had won 6 straight, Laryea had gotten his transfer to NF, I'm sure that boosted his stock.

7 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

On one hand, I wonder if Steph would be on Portugal's radar if he wasn't ours- there are only two portuguese league mids on their team, and only Otavio has never played a higher level, but at the same time, considering form, I think he's good enough to be their version of our Liam Fraser roster spot, but it still is a very hard team to make.

On the other hand, does Porto show the same level of interest in him if he didn't play the way he did for Canada? He was loaned around the same we had won 6 straight, Laryea had gotten his transfer to NF, I'm sure that boosted his stock.

I do remember he was linked to sporting and Porto I believe when he was at Chaves so they had their eye on him for quite some time 

19 hours ago, El Diego said:

I remember there were rumours starting to swirl when he joined Cruz Azul that he had already decided to represent Canada since he had played his last Portugal U21 games by that time.  Also, likely only happened because the Portuguese coach Caixinha joined Cruz Azul joined from Portugal right before Eustaquio moved there.