Stephen Eustaquio

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

He is performing in the Champions League.  If he tops that off with any sort of noteworthy performance at the WC (where he will could very well play all 270+ minutes) I think it is safe to say that his value continues to rise.  

Yeah, provided he continues at this pace, we can expect another champions league goal, 2-3 in league play, 270 minutes at the World Cup, maybe even another league title, I think it’ll be hard to find many players with a better resume than his aside from the names every top team will go after. 

25 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah, provided he continues at this pace, we can expect another champions league goal, 2-3 in league play, 270 minutes at the World Cup, maybe even another league title, I think it’ll be hard to find many players with a better resume than his aside from the names every top team will go after. 

He for sure has to be in the conversation for best player who isn't a "superstar" that every big team is after. 

There's a lot of players a clubs where if they get the opportunity to move to a mid-tier club in one of the "big 5" leagues, I'm usually of the opinion they should look to take it.  Being at Porto is a rare exception.  They're a top 20 club based on the UEFA co-efficient, they play in what's been the #6 league for a while, and they're always in Champions league with the pressure and legitimate ability to move on from the group stage.  So if he gets the chance to move to one of the big clubs in one of the big 5, then sure take it.  But I think this is a case of not settling for a more mediocre side in a "better" league. 

6 minutes ago, Shway said:

I kinda dislike those "expected" stats. It borderlines on the fantasy vs actualities of the game. 

image.png.babfe23f02b6db15fd69b66e8c44c9af.png

My wife expects me to last over 10 minutes, but reality is it can be just 2 mins. 

I agree more for XG, since beating the odds is the whole point of being a striker. For playmaking though, I think you get a more reliable long-term metric.

5 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

I agree more for XG, since beating the odds is the whole point of being a striker. For playmaking though, I think you get a more reliable long-term metric.

In other words, a striker spoiling a would-be assist cannot take away from the quality of the playmaker when you look at the data this way.

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, Shway said:

but this is also called "Key passes".

I guess that is true. I wonder how many key passes Stephen has this season...

Also, are key passes restricted to the final pass, or do secondary assists technically count as key passes? 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I guess that is true. I wonder how many key passes Stephen has this season...

Also, are key passes restricted to the final pass, or do secondary assists technically count as key passes? 

A key pass is a pass that leads directly to a shot that’s saved. 

Secondary and primary assists only occur when a goal is actually scored.

xA is like xG in that they happen regardless of whether a goal is scored or not.

8 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

I guess I should take back the thing about him not having the tools to be an 8. Like on the surface... he really shouldn't lol. He's not that fast, he doesn't dribble much - but he cancels it out with well-timed runs and perfect passing. He seems to evolve his game every season.

He is playing faster too, which is great to see. He's growing.

22 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

I guess I should take back the thing about him not having the tools to be an 8. Like on the surface... he really shouldn't lol. He's not that fast, he doesn't dribble much - but he cancels it out with well-timed runs and perfect passing. He seems to evolve his game every season.

He is very aware of who is around him and knows the passing play  to make before he receives the ball. Staq is a 1/2 touch player.  He doesn't need to dribble because of those attributes. This is something he possesed even when he played in Portugal's 2nd division...moving the ball very quickly. He's just never had the opportunity to play this high and in support of the forwards vs the #6 role. Kudos to him and Porto's coach.

On 11/5/2022 at 4:48 PM, PiedPilko said:

Yeah, his motor is on another level too.