CPL General

With the announcement of Martin Nash today, I wonder if Steve Nash will come on as an owner/investor at some point? I believe he is still part owner of the whitecaps, but as far as I know that doesn't effect his ability to also own a CPL squad. He also part owner of Mallorca in La Liga. He could certainly get involved and make a little soccer conglomerate for a fraction of what he paid for either of those teams.

53 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

1. Morelli

2. Bustos

3. Abzi

4. Krutzen

5, Bekker

I know why they did it, but whoever is putting together this CPL 50 list really went out of their way to include players from the lesser teams. Really, 8 or 9 of the top 20 could be Forge players. Easton Ongaro is not one the 10 best or most important players in the league.

Edited by jonovision

In the interview with new signing Graiciar for York as posted on that thread, he says York will do a pre-season stage in Atlético Madrid facilities in Madrid. And that the other CPL teams will as well. That's what he says.

Although he could be inaccurate, it's our first major tip on the 2022 pre-season (Forge's path in CL notwithstanding).

• 2 weeks later...

Something for the perennially over-exhuberent on here to ponder given how well-connected Simon Fudge is likely to be.

this is also a very important point:

way too much emphasis was placed on the domestic players angle in marketing terms when it really isn't the key factor that draws people to soccer games.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Something for the perennially over-exhuberent on here to ponder given how well-connected Simon Fudge is likely to be.

this is also a very important point:

way too much emphasis was placed on the domestic players angle in marketing terms when it really isn't the key factor that draws people to soccer games.

There’s always more than meets the eye, but let’s not pretend the pandemic didn’t seriously hurt them.

look, if Edmonton can sell out the iceteca, surely they can get 5k fans a game and make it work, but is the location right ? What is right and what is wrong ? 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

I don't think that the Rowdies or Cosmos were that big of a draw in NASL version 2....and I don't think anyone took the Edmonton market for granted since Edmonton club teams have always drawn shit no matter what league they are in.

I went to loads of games in the NASL days and attendance was always dire. I don’t know what Sandor is talking about. 2019 was a typical season for Edmonton in terms of attendance and Covid has hurt all sports in terms of attendance since. Also, who wants to watch a team that averaged 0.14 ppg 

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

CPL needs to seriously go after the likes of Jonathan David and Alphonso Davies to help promote the league at home.

Imagine Davies being part of an ownership group in Edmonton as a minority partner but be the face of it. That would help tremendously along with a new stadium 

This is an interesting concept, Ansem. I wonder if there could be a group of CMNT players who could pool some funds to facilitate some stadium or roster improvements throughout the league. What about a CMNT player or two adopt a CPL club and sponsor some younger players and/or subsidize an otherwise unaffordable, but very suitable Canadian player at a CPL club. Every year, CMNT players could "compete" for CPL bragging rights in various award or standings - "This year, you buy the beer and the rest of us drink for free!"

Think the key aspect of teams like the Tampa Bay Rowdies and New York Cosmos in an NASL context that some people may not be aware of was the quality of some of the players they signed for overseas like Joe Cole and Raul.

There was no salary cap unlike CanPL, so the Faths spent and lost a lot of money to be able to be reasonably competitive in that sort of environment, which was why they were keen on the concept of sustainability by the time Victor Montagliani's brainchild emerged.

Anyone who still thinks that 5000+ will roll up for a domestic pro soccer club in Edmonton because of 50,000+ crowds have happened at Commonwealth Stadium for national team games should check out the history of the Edmonton Aviators:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_Aviators

Not sure to post in FC Edmonton or here 

but one of the things that intrigued me about Can Pl economics is the travel within Canada

I travel a lot for work (not on my dime but am responsible with the spend) and travelling in Canada is expensive in general 

i recall being in Calgary in year 1 of the league, staying at the airport Marriott and Forge were flying back after playing Calgary in the last home game of that year before the playoffs ( Great Novak goal in a 2-1 loss for Forge) - they took the Air Canada red eye back on a Thursday and there were 20 people that needed to fly back so I was thinking about the cost of that one trip 

Then, was in Edmonton for Costa Rica game with my son, and half the Forge team flew back on same Saturday afternoon flight at 5pm after losing 2-1 ( Air Canada again ) with the thought of the 950 people that attended the FC Edmonton game and pondering the economics of Can Pl for travelling costs- let alone wages 

In fact, was chatting with a few V’s in the “fun zone” behind the nets and we chatted about travel costs specifically- wish I had asked their names too as they were a great hang -maybe they will read this and recall the gab with my son and I 

Canada travel is not cheap and while only a small sample size, the only times I have encountered a Can Pl team is on Air Canada and not league sponsor West Jet 

56 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

but one of the things that intrigued me about Can Pl economics is the travel within Canada

I travel a lot for work (not on my dime but am responsible with the spend) and travelling in Canada is expensive in general 

i recall being in Calgary in year 1 of the league, staying at the airport Marriott and Forge were flying back after playing Calgary in the last home game of that year before the playoffs ( Great Novak goal in a 2-1 loss for Forge) - they took the Air Canada red eye back on a Thursday and there were 20 people that needed to fly back so I was thinking about the cost of that one trip 

Then, was in Edmonton for Costa Rica game with my son, and half the Forge team flew back on same Saturday afternoon flight at 5pm after losing 2-1 ( Air Canada again ) with the thought of the 950 people that attended the FC Edmonton game and pondering the economics of Can Pl for travelling costs- let alone wages 

In fact, was chatting with a few V’s in the “fun zone” behind the nets and we chatted about travel costs specifically- wish I had asked their names too as they were a great hang -maybe they will read this and recall the gab with my son and I 

Canada travel is not cheap and while only a small sample size, the only times I have encountered a Can Pl team is on Air Canada and not league sponsor West Jet 

I am a broken record regarding this, but all for regionalizing the league to on the one hand lower costs to allow for more potential markets (or allow more investment in player salaries). I remember someone on the discord estimating that it'd save clubs a couple hundred thousand a year.

It really becomes apparent that it needs to be considered when you realize the whole of Europe from Turkey to Ireland fits in Canada .. that most countries league travel costs is just gas for a bus 

Edited by yellowsweatygorilla

59 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

FLAIR