CPL General

Personally, if the CanPL is to compete with the world's leagues and be taken seriously, it MUST contain some sort of relegation to promote the idea of winning. So where would teams be relegated to and promoted from? A CanPL2 (second division). Also, NO play-offs! One team should be rewarded for their performances and consistency throughout the season, just like the rest of the world. 

2 hours ago, nfooty said:

Personally, if the CanPL is to compete with the world's leagues and be taken seriously, it MUST contain some sort of relegation to promote the idea of winning. So where would teams be relegated to and promoted from? A CanPL2 (second division). Also, NO play-offs! One team should be rewarded for their performances and consistency throughout the season, just like the rest of the world. 

So far the league has 2 teams. They should play a home and home series and the loser gets demoted to the MLS. That'll turn some heads.

4 hours ago, nfooty said:

I agree. I like the idea of no playoffs. In soccer, the best team isn't the one that went on a run in the end of the season. It is the team that has been the most consistent all year. Unfortunately, playoffs are so engrained in north american sports that the regular fan would want playoffs. Maybe playoffs could work, but the league could try and make a bigger deal of the regular season winners? MLS doesn't seem to care who won the supporter's shield. Hopefully there will be a bigger emphasis on that in the CPL.

Edited by BenFisk'sBiggestFan

4 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

For those in the pro/rel camp, how do you do that with a single entity league?

Also I'm very confident there will be some sort of a playoff, it's bonus revenue, casual fans expect it and it's a staple of NA sports.

See there is the problem. Do we care about the quality of our league or about "revenue" and what the fans want to see? Playoffs aren't anything more than a money grab anyway. So lets just take out the regular season entirely? 

1 minute ago, nfooty said:

See there is the problem. Do we care about the quality of our league or about "revenue" and what the fans want to see? Playoffs aren't anything more than a money grab anyway. So lets just take out the regular season entirely? 

If only it was up to us!

I'm guessing the guys putting this league together and the ones running the teams do care about "revenue."

Well in order to have a good quality league we need the revenue... Trust me, the fans will want to see the playoffs. Playoffs are a money grab, but it works, and it benefits us soccer fans so ill tolerate it... As long as we know the best team is the one that wins the regular season we are set. 

1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

If only it was up to us!

I'm guessing the guys putting this league together and the ones running the teams do care about "revenue."

So let's make it up to us! Us "casual" fans shouldn't care about going to a play-off game just for a beer and to have a good time but to support a league with quality and hopefully someday produce for our national team.

3 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Well in order to have a good quality league we need the revenue... Trust me, the fans will want to see the playoffs. Playoffs are a money grab, but it works, and it benefits us soccer fans so ill tolerate it... As long as we know the best team is the one that wins the regular season we are set. 

I understand that but that team is not properly rewarded. It's all about the MLS Cup, not the Supporter's Shield... I wonder how many fans actually know of the Supporter's Shield lol

4 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I'm so glad this forum won't be in charge of league decision making. Jesus Christ guys.

I am an expert in the area of sports marketing! Im young! I can't afford to go to many soccer games! And I am arguing on a forum online with a bunch of people i don't know! haha i'll leave it to the professionals...

Edited by BenFisk'sBiggestFan

51 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I am an expert in the area of sports marketing! Im young! I can't afford to go to many soccer games! And I am arguing on a forum online with a bunch of people i don't know! haha i'll leave it to the professionals...

Edited by nfooty
No reason

3 minutes ago, nfooty said:

What do you suggest?

That we be a little bit realistic. This is a league that will need to do everything it can to draw attention to itself. Playoffs are an inevitability.

Pro/rel in a single-entity, salary-capped league isn't going to happen. It makes no sense for those involved to throw money at an already risky financial investment when they can lose it all on something as trivial as year-to-year on field performance. It's nonsense.

I've always seen it like this: to be the best,  a team needs to be good on a consistent basis (ie, regular season) AND when every game counts (ie playoffs).

Just a round Robin or other schedule doesn't decide, what if teams are tied? I know there are tie breaker rules, but if you have to do that then they are close enough they need to play each other. 

And just a straight knockout doesn't determine the best, because any team could have an off day, the draw could eliminate good teams early on.

Now I agree,  having over half the teams make the playoffs is ridiculous.  Playing 7 games to see which team is better is ridiculous.  That's why I'd say only the top 4 make the playoffs until there are at least 12 teams. Sure, some years someone will run away with the regular season,  but other years it will be a very close race and we'll need the playoffs to decide. 

5 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

That we be a little bit realistic. This is a league that will need to do everything it can to draw attention to itself. Playoffs are an inevitability.

Pro/rel in a single-entity, salary-capped league isn't going to happen. It makes no sense for those involved to throw money at an already risky financial investment when they can lose it all on something as trivial as year-to-year on field performance. It's nonsense.

How do playoffs draw attention? And that's the whole problem with North American soccer... teams don't have to win! So of course its easy for people to throw money. They look at the sport as a business, rather than the future of our sport/national team. Pro/rel promotes teams to stay in the league thus making it competitive. Which actually explains why playoffs are an inevitability. 

4 minutes ago, nfooty said:

How do playoffs draw attention? And that's the whole problem with North American soccer... teams don't have to win! So of course its easy for people to throw money. They look at the sport as a business, rather than the future of our sport/national team. Pro/rel promotes teams to stay in the league thus making it competitive. Which actually explains why playoffs are an inevitability. 

Sport is a business, why would anyone involved with this look at it any other way?

Edit: How do playoffs draw attention? Viewership for every sport in NA goes way up in the playeoffs.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

46 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Sport is a business, why would anyone involved with this look at it any other way?

Edit: How do playoffs draw attention? Viewership for every sport in NA goes way up in the playeoffs.

Edited by nfooty
No reason

I'm starting to think that you're a troll.

How do playoffs draw attention? Go look at MLS and Liga MX playoff ratings compared to those of regular season games. Look at what TFC's playoff run last year did for that club. Playoffs create drama on a different level to regular season games; playoffs draw their own crowds.

I have no idea what you mean by "teams don't have to win!". Show me a team that has maintained a success organization by not winning.

Hate to break it to you: soccer is a business. You can't create the future of the national team without the money needed to do so.

Pro/rel isn't the only thing that promotes competitiveness. There are a large number of factors. In fact, there are some really good arguments to be made that leagues like Liga MX and the SPL would be better off without pro/rel. It's a mute point though, it will not happen under the CPL structure.