CPL General

52 minutes ago, gator said:

I don't disagree with you on any of these points, I will also add this isn't great for Forge IF they make the final because they will be potentially travel wary from a trip to Central America midweek!

I think that would actually be another advantage for Forge.

They will still be playing competitive matches while their opponent sits around for 2 weeks

Just now, narduch said:

I think that would actually be another advantage for Forge.

They will still be playing competitive matches while their opponent sits around for 2 weeks

👍 I hope so but travel to and from those parts can be crazy! I have watched York come to THF twice this season and beat Forge in shut outs so I am taking nothing for granted tomorrow!

I think it would look worse on the league if they decided to change the host instead of changing the date. No offence to Forge, but I hope Pacific beats them, just to have a different champ. Heck of a season for Forge though no matter which way the final goes. I'll cheer against them in the final, but for them in the CONCACAF League.

31 minutes ago, Kent said:

I think it would look worse on the league if they decided to change the host instead of changing the date. 

They wouldn't need to have "changed" the host if they had simply stuck to the date announced and said that the top-seed gets to host IF THEY CAN. But anyway, spineless pandering to the favoured sons is pretty much standard so I guess it won;t make the league look any worse than it already appears. ;)

2 hours ago, ted said:

They wouldn't need to have "changed" the host if they had simply stuck to the date announced and said that the top-seed gets to host IF THEY CAN. But anyway, spineless pandering to the favoured sons is pretty much standard so I guess it won;t make the league look any worse than it already appears. ;)

I feel like there have been times when an NHL team has had to delay a home playoff game due to there being a concert or some kind of event in their home arena. They don't say "Sorry Pittsburgh, we are going to give home ice advantage to Washington since you can't host on this date."

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

I feel like there have been times when an NHL team has had to delay a home playoff game due to there being a concert or some kind of event in their home arena. They don't say "Sorry Pittsburgh, we are going to give home ice advantage to Washington since you can't host on this date."

The 1988 Stanley Cup finals says hi.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

I guess that leaves Halifax, Cavalry and Forge as year 1 teams who have not yet replaced their manager.

I can't see how anyone could suggest Tommy or Bobby get the axe, but what's going on in Halifax? Wooden Spoon in year one, decent showing in year two, and failing to make the playoffs in year three? I don't see how you sell that as justification for renewing that contract.

16 hours ago, narduch said:

The 1988 Stanley Cup finals says hi.

Although game 4 changed location after it was suspended, I don't believe home ice advantage in the series changed. Edmonton would have hosted 4 games and Boston 3 if it had gone the distance, and I believe that was the plan all along based on seeding (correct me if I am wrong about that please).

With the recent November updates the Transfermarkt values of all CPL teams have increased by at least a million compared to the start of the season.  I always take their #s with a grain of salt but is the only relative evaluation we have.

Forge are now about equal to Motagua.  

Edit: also puts CPL(3.4m to 4.8m) about mid-range in valuation with USL Championship (1.5m to 6.2m)

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

So I’m watching the Western Conference  MLS playoff final  on TSN between Portland and Real Salt Lake and after the game coverage is over they go straight into a Lacrosse game that had already started . It’s from Hamilton the old Copps Coliseum that has a different name now , but it’s the Toronto Rock who have moved to Hamilton apparently this season but are still called the Toronto Rock lol. Why I’m I bringing this up well because the place looks packed probably 16000 there from the looks of it . That’s a crazy attendance figure , but tomorrow we should be happy if 6000 attend for a very talented team like Forge playing at home trying to win their third championship in a row with mostly Canadian players and hopefully their first one at home . I may be an MLS TFC fan but I’m also a York United fan and want the CPL to grow but what am I missing when I’m watching a lacrosse game in Hamilton ,  on TV that is packed,  for a team named Toronto with a crowd size  I’ve yet to see in Hamilton for Forge , apart from that CPL opening game at Tim Hortons Field in 2018.

39 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

So I’m watching the Western Conference  MLS playoff final  on TSN between Portland and Real Salt Lake and after the game coverage is over they go straight into a Lacrosse game that had already started . It’s from Hamilton the old Copps Coliseum that has a different name now , but it’s the Toronto Rock who have moved to Hamilton apparently this season but are still called the Toronto Rock lol. Why I’m I bringing this up well because the place looks packed probably 16000 there from the looks of it . That’s a crazy attendance figure , but tomorrow we should be happy if 6000 attend for a very talented team like Forge playing at home trying to win their third championship in a row with mostly Canadian players and hopefully their first one at home . I may be an MLS TFC fan but I’m also a York United fan and want the CPL to grow but what am I missing when I’m watching a lacrosse game in Hamilton ,  on TV that is packed,  for a team named Toronto with a crowd size  I’ve yet to see in Hamilton for Forge , apart from that CPL opening game at Tim Hortons Field in 2018.

Only the lower bowl was actually open. So probably in the 9-10000 range. Also the Rock have been around for a long time and have always drawn well. They generally average close to 10000 playing in Toronto so they have a pretty strong following. 

17 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Only the lower bowl was actually open. So probably in the 9-10000 range. Also the Rock have been around for a long time and have always drawn well. They generally average close to 10000 playing in Toronto so they have a pretty strong following. 

Was just about post same thing. It was sparse when I watched the first few minutes but lower bowl filled up later. 

Rock used to get 18k at ACC for a few years. But then dropped closer to 10k. Lacrosse has been around since before Canada and the Rock have been around for more than a decade. Canada is a top performer in the sport and the NLL is the best & only available pro league for the sport. 

It's a good and cheap night out. But I don't believe the engagement with NLL/lacrosse beyond attending is high. 

Edited by red card