CPL General

On 11/2/2021 at 11:56 PM, narduch said:

I could be wrong but I think you can't draw a team from the same country in the 1st round 

Many here claim that the Canadian MLS teams aren't Canadian - so perhaps they'd be okay with drawing the Voyageurs Cup champion in the first round. I'm sure they Voyageurs Cup champion would be happy with that draw! :)

Seriously though, I assume that it's not allowed (it certainly wasn't allowed in the old group format, and has never occurred with the current format, despite there having always been either one US or Mexican team in both pots). So a 4 in 7 chance of playing a US MLS squad, or a 3 in 7 chance of playing a Mexican team.

Which means the Canadian MLS team is, on current league standings, the weakest of Pot 1 teams.

Edited by nfitz

18 hours ago, Kent said:

About the Champions League draw, copied from wikipedia. "Teams from the same association cannot be drawn against each other in the round of 16 except for "wildcard" teams which replace a team from another association."

I'm sure that's the case - but Wikipedia has little meaning unless there's a reference. I could edit it right now to say that the Falkland Islands will be replacing the New England Revolution.

6 hours ago, nfitz said:

I'm sure that's the case - but Wikipedia has little meaning unless there's a reference. I could edit it right now to say that the Falkland Islands will be replacing the New England Revolution.

I remember reading this on the CONCACAF website at one point. I couldn't remember what the exception was (I was thinking it might be CONCACAF League qualifiers, but reading the wildcard definitely jogged my memory) but I just looked up wikipedia because it's 100 times easier.

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Seems kind of pointless to play out Forge's last 3 games now.

They only need 1 win to clinch 1st overall. 

Semis are most likely going to be:

Forge v York 

Cavalry v Pacific 

You do the same thing any pro-sports team does when put in this situation. After you take to top seed, you play your youth in your meaningless games.

Seems kind of pointless to play out Forge's last 3 games now.

They only need 1 win to clinch 1st overall. 

Semis are most likely going to be:

Forge v York 

Cavalry v Pacific 

You do the same thing any pro-sports team does when put in this situation. After you take to top seed, you play your youth in your meaningless games. You don't take any team for granted until that is a done deal.

They would have to lose all 3 games

Not quite. One of their games is against Cavalry. If they lose that game they would need to collect 3 points from their other 2 games to finish first (the Cavalry game happens to be played last though).

Note, for the first tie breaker it's total wins, which Forge has over Cavalry, so they would win if they end up tied on points.

8 minutes ago, Kent said:

Not quite. One of their games is against Cavalry. If they lose that game they would need to collect 3 points from their other 2 games to finish first (the Cavalry game happens to be played last though).

Note, for the first tie breaker it's total wins, which Forge has over Cavalry, so they would win if they end up tied on points.

Exactly it, Forge needs at least one more win. That said, they play York, Edmonton and Cavalry.

Side note, the Edmonton game might be a bit interesting. I'm to understand a swath of the Voyageurs have travelled to Edmonton for the national team game, so it wouldn't shock me if several die-hards catch the game at Clarke and given them a decent group. At least that's the hope. I know if I was going, I'd be catching that game.

6 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

Exactly it, Forge needs at least one more win. That said, they play York, Edmonton and Cavalry.

Side note, the Edmonton game might be a bit interesting. I'm to understand a swath of the Voyageurs have travelled to Edmonton for the national team game, so it wouldn't shock me if several die-hards catch the game at Clarke and given them a decent group. At least that's the hope. I know if I was going, I'd be catching that game.

We need a capo!

Good point. We talk about the league being a place for players to "develop" and, "get noticed", but how Bobby has not already been picked up by a "bigger" club is puzzling. 

PMK has been great out here and I'd love to have him back next year but the reality is he will be "moving up" in the next one to three years IMO.

52 minutes ago, ted said:

Good point. We talk about the league being a place for players to "develop" and, "get noticed", but how Bobby has not already been picked up by a "bigger" club is puzzling. 

PMK has been great out here and I'd love to have him back next year but the reality is he will be "moving up" in the next one to three years IMO.

I would have agreed until we lost 7 of our last 10, and seem to have completely lost our identity. I really don't know what's happened to Pacific lately, and I was quite high on Pa

gotta see if pacific can win a championship between now and the end of next season to have a better idea on if kah can move up...been good overall up to now but as said not good recently when its near playoff time which is preferably when a team should be peaking in such a format