CPL General

Just sounds like overstating excuses about Winnipeg, you've decided you are pariahs and nothing anyone says can make you think differently. When it'd be easier to say a better coaching staff would do better, and better chosen signings at the same price would do better. 

Why don't you just argue that the 12th man is not doing its job, it seems just as logical? 

About university soccer in Manitoba, there is CCAA, which may not impress a lot of people, but just to comment: Pacific brought in players from CCAA level. There are programmes at Brandon, CMU, Assiniboine and St Boniface. That is a start, a low base but a base nonetheless. Is that reaching?

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just sounds like overstating excuses about Winnipeg, you've decided you are pariahs and nothing anyone says can make you think differently. When it'd be easier to say a better coaching staff would do better, and better chosen signings at the same price would do better. 

Why don't you just argue that the 12th man is not doing its job, it seems just as logical? 

About university soccer in Manitoba, there is CCAA, which may not impress a lot of people, but just to comment: Pacific brought in players from CCAA level. There are programmes at Brandon, CMU, Assiniboine and St Boniface. That is a start, a low base but a base nonetheless. Is that reaching?

You read the Valour threads. You know we complain and criticize, ad nauseam, about the ownership, coaching, marketing, fan support, etc., of the squad. These are the biggest reasons Valour has done poorly.

But the recruitment advantage certain teams have is an obvious factor that you have to be willfully blind not to notice. Effectively having to pay a premium on domestic players adds another mark against Valour that already is the most tight-fisted squad. I don't think there's anything wrong or self-serving about pointing this out.

And Valour is simply too new on the scene to bear any responsibility for a local footballing environment that does not produce professional calibre players. I played "university soccer" at one of the schools you listed, and it simply is not anywhere near the level that will produce professionals (I would liken it to intramural sport at a big university). 2nd division men's league teams are better.

Edited by jonovision

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

You read the Valour threads. You know we complain and criticize, ad nauseam, about the ownership, coaching, marketing, fan support, etc., of the squad. These are the biggest reasons Valour has done poorly.

But the recruitment advantage certain teams have is an obvious factor that you have to be willfully blind not to notice. Effectively having to pay a premium on domestic players adds another mark against Valour that already is the most tight-fisted squad. I don't think there's anything wrong or self-serving about pointing this out.

And Valour is simply too new on the scene to bear any responsibility for a local footballing environment that does not produce professional calibre players. I played "university soccer" at one of the schools you listed, and it simply is not anywhere near the level that will produce professionals. 2nd division men's league teams are better.

I know your arguments are solid. 

I wonder about NCAA guys out of Minnesota, maybe not Canadians but still. Or Canadian NCAA guys who are coming out of schools in the northern midwest.

I'm a VFC fan, Pacific too (can't shed Pacific just because VFC came along) but I really don't like to see Valour not do well, or any CPL club for that matter. I would prefer the table to be close, and for winning dynasties to be rotated, for the good of the league. At least until every club has had a piece of the pie, let's say--then let come what may.

On 4/15/2024 at 10:41 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I know your arguments are solid. 

I wonder about NCAA guys out of Minnesota, maybe not Canadians but still. Or Canadian NCAA guys who are coming out of schools in the northern midwest.

I'm a VFC fan, Pacific too (can't shed Pacific just because VFC came along) but I really don't like to see Valour not do well, or any CPL club for that matter. I would prefer the table to be close, and for winning dynasties to be rotated, for the good of the league. At least until every club has had a piece of the pie, let's say--then let come what may.

There are ton of undrafted NCAA Canadians that valour could scout and bring in on trial ... 

Just now, yothat2 said:

There are ton of undrafted NCAA Canadians that valour could scout and bring in on trial ... 

I'm sorry, I find the excuses untenable. They are on the same footing as the rest of clubs in Canada. There is a salary cap, they have a great little fanbase, from all accounts the team is run professionally. 

Basing the entire argument on, well, we don't have a local source of players, seems slim to me. HFX doesn't either. Cavalry had to divide up Alberta talent with Edmonton and still were able to manage from day one. Players travel, not just from other parts of Canada, from all over the world. They just spent a pre-season stage in Portugal. There is nothing there that cannot be overcome, especially if all we are asking is to fight for a playoff spot, no one is asking them to get through Concacaf Champions League rounds.

22 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Are you just going to accept announced dimensions for the pitch? When I measure it off my TV screen it comes in way smaller. 

Isn't the cap on field size 7200 m2?  How does Forge always get to be over?

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

Isn't the cap on field size 7200 m2?  How does Forge always get to be over?

They’re lying. Tim Hortons is actually only 10 sq.m and is actually located inside a wardrobe in Narnia. Also Bobby Smyrniotis actually doesn’t have a beard — he’s the White Witch. And Triston Henry has never left. 

• 2 weeks later...

With the foundation in place, Noonan isn’t concerned with a report that some clubs, including Pacific FC and Valour FC, could be for sale. “Not at all,” Noonan said when asked about clubs being potentially for sale. “I mean, every club in the world is for sale unless they are a supporter-owned club. I can’t speak for the owners, but they would probably listen if the right offer came along. I would add that CPL is a very attractive proposition given where we are in our growth curve.  We are an early-stage sports league with our best years ahead of us."

https://www.transfermarkt.us/interview-cpl-commissioner-mark-noonan-on-expansion-club-sales-and-messi-impact/view/news/436687?s=04&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1_Ez-kHx3sytfbPnS2-QvlBbTRMoVXuCbftiVhUZ3gVrVKxd39eKxqUPo_aem_AZtW-g_V80P4VKVZVfGZoNXwWzmcwcTXw1Lqh8CvbY_JeoSLEIUMCx0nzHt8rpUyvTVHRFrHMXJ9rLQyMKv9gowl

16 hours ago, Big_M said:

" I would add that CPL is a very attractive proposition given where we are in our growth curve.  We are an early-stage sports league with our best years ahead of us."

This reminds me of that double-edged aphorism:  "You've got nothing but potential!"  :)