CPL General

Parleh TV, Canada's first online sports betting channel is launching on October 12th. Press release says their partnerships include Canada Soccer Business and will be covering CPL.

Footy Talks & Fast Money EPL will be some of their programs.

https://www.theparleh.com/post/parleh-tv-to-become-canadas-1st-dedicated-sports-betting-network

1 hour ago, Stoppage Time said:

Since, apparently, Canada will field a U20/U23 team in the not too distant future, who might be some CPL candidates for inclusion in the team?  Lowell Wright? Coupland. Abzi, Farsi, Woobens Pacius? Who else?

I believe of those names, only Wright and Coupland will be eligible as I thought I had remembered reading that the U20 was going to act as the U23 as well, but I must admit I am not entirely sure

On 10/7/2021 at 9:08 AM, Kent said:

Yeah, this was always my concern with the team names. That, and me having to explain it, or feeling like I have to explain it if I don't know for sure the listener is well informed on the league. Instead of saying "Hamilton Forge" (if that had been their name) I have to say something like "The team from Hamilton, which is named Forge" or "Forge, which is the name for the team from Hamilton". A sentence kind of has to replace the team name in some cases.

My go-to has been to tack the city name on the end. "Forge FC Hamilton" or "Valour FC Winnipeg" .

After nearly 3 years, having your city in your club's name isn't a key to attendance/engagement. Worst supported is FC Edmonton. Second worst is York United who rebranded from a made up regional name.

HFX is best supported - named after the city but in abbreviated form. The rest with usage of city names or not are all reasonably supported.

Another disproven projection from CPL year 1 of this forum was that Cavalry was out of touch in charging high ticket prices.

Instead, it seems investment in & execution of the match day experience, level of engagement by supporter groups and meeting expectations of success on the pitch are the keys. 

On 10/17/2021 at 11:23 PM, red card said:

...Another disproven projection from CPL year 1 of this forum was that Cavalry was out of touch in charging high ticket prices...

That's debatable. It's always the cheaper sections that sell out first and there have been reports of discount deals being used to help fill the expensive ones sometimes.

3 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

If he needs to specify that he's approaching this "fairly" - oh "trying to", it will be anything BUT fair.

I manage employee myself and lost half the team for a variety of reasons. Expect him to focus on "toxic environment" instead of obvious reasons such as better opportunities/pay elsewhere. 🙄

Oh well - here we go...

Edited by Ansem

16 hours ago, Ansem said:

If he needs to specify that he's approaching this "fairly" - oh "trying to", it will be anything BUT fair.

I manage employee myself and lost half the team for a variety of reasons. Expect him to focus on "toxic environment" instead of obvious reasons such as better opportunities/pay elsewhere. 🙄

Oh well - here we go...

Someone isn't happy he lost his sources in the league office.

Meanwhile back on topic. Have to agree with this. Not having playoffs in year one was a bad move and an example of what can happen when the people making decisions become consumed with a CanPL vs MLS mindset and lose sight of what was actually proven to work in the North American sports environment in the absence of relegation:

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot