CPL General

I had a chat with the Commissioner last night, the main points I got from him were how pleased he and the owners are that the league got through last season with no fans and how optimistic he is going forward! We also discussed Mitrovic's dad's comment about how there were no opportunities to play when he arrived in Canada in 88, we agreed that wasn't 100% the case but the difference is like night and day now and he seems very proud that the CPL is giving young players something to aspire to! I also thanked him for all of the beers he bought us! 😀🍺

36 minutes ago, gator said:

I had a chat with the Commissioner last night, the main points I got from him were how pleased he and the owners are that the league got through last season with no fans and how optimistic he is going forward! We also discussed Mitrovic's dad's comment about how there were no opportunities to play when he arrived in Canada in 88, we agreed that wasn't 100% the case but the difference is like night and day now and he seems very proud that the CPL is giving young players something to aspire to! I also thanked him for all of the beers he bought us! 😀🍺

Look at you, hob nobbing with Wheels, the commish.  Next thing your going to tell us is that you were snuggling up in a Andi Petrillo/Olie sandwhich.  Just dont forget there is a game too!

What are peoples thoughts on the nominees for awards? 

I found the young player award nominees surprising. Ferrari is deserved but Hojabrprour and Loturi are replaceable IMO. Maybe they wanted to spread the love but for me, Wright and/or Johnston were deserving of a nomination at least. 

9 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I found the young player award nominees surprising. Ferrari is deserved but Hojabrprour and Loturi are replaceable IMO. Maybe they wanted to spread the love but for me, Wright and/or Johnston were deserving of a nomination at least. 

I would have taken Johnston and Wright over Ferrari myself, and have no problem with Hojabrprour's nomination.

10 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I've been high on Hojabrpour for 3 years now, and I don't understand what people are missing. Sure, he doesn't play the flashiest game but he's consistently very good in his position and he continues to improve year over year. He's in the top 10 for all-time league minutes/appearances as a 21 year old, that should tell you something. I'm actually surprised he was so low in the Top 50 countdown

Oat Canada had made its appearance at the Commonwealth matches. But now, it has been announced they're also sponsoring the CPL. Besides the sponsors from year 1, Oat Canada joins ComeOn! and HelloFresh (I haven't seen much of them though) as the newest CPL sponsors.

I was wondering why they picked Canada soccer since the CSA hasn't had a new sponsor since I believe the 2015 WWC. The connection is that Oat Canada was founded by former semi-professional footballer Jamari Ambursley (Wexford Soccer Club).

https://northerntribune.ca/canadian-premier-league-oat-canada/

44 minutes ago, red card said:

Oat Canada had made its appearance at the Commonwealth matches. But now, it has been announced they're also sponsoring the CPL. Besides the sponsors from year 1, Oat Canada joins ComeOn! and HelloFresh (I haven't seen much of them though) as the newest CPL sponsors.

I was wondering why they picked Canada soccer since the CSA hasn't had a new sponsor since I believe the 2015 WWC. The connection is that Oat Canada was founded by former semi-professional footballer Jamari Ambursley (Wexford Soccer Club).

https://northerntribune.ca/canadian-premier-league-oat-canada/

It's remarkable that an illegal bookmaker with no license to operate in Canada is able to sponsor the league.

23 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

It's remarkable that an illegal bookmaker with no license to operate in Canada is able to sponsor the league.

Comeon isn't currently offering anything not allowed in Canada. Other bet shops are currently sponsoring NHL & CFL at the league or team level or their broadcasts.

It was expected Ontario would have its regulations ready by the Grey Cup for Comeon to offer bookmaking. But now, it was reported it has been delayed to February 13th.

2 hours ago, red card said:

Comeon isn't currently offering anything not allowed in Canada. Other bet shops are currently sponsoring NHL & CFL at the league or team level or their broadcasts.

It was expected Ontario would have its regulations ready by the Grey Cup for Comeon to offer bookmaking. But now, it was reported it has been delayed to February 13th.

Single event legalization doesn't mean you can take bets without a license.  They don't even have the bogus Kahnawake license the other bet shops hide behind to bluff the feds into leaving them alone.  

The delay in Ontario is not going to matter because the licenses will be reserved for the players that agreed to play by the rules.  

On 12/5/2021 at 12:15 PM, Bison44 said:

Look at you, hob nobbing with Wheels, the commish.  Next thing your going to tell us is that you were snuggling up in a Andi Petrillo/Olie sandwhich.  Just dont forget there is a game too!

Please, please... never present that image ever again.