CPL General

This is longer term, but I believe the broadcasting rights for CPL are bundled with the national teams, right? So when that contract is up (I think it was like 10 years, so not until 2029?) if the national teams are still a bigger draw than they historically have been, then there could be decent money in those rights going to CSB and thus CPL. And I mean in terms of actual money, not just investment in the broadcasts (which is still huge by the way, I love OneSoccer).

12 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Is it saying Clanachan steps down to take the Windsor rights? Reading that right?

For me, both bits of news are positive.

That’s how I’m reading it. It makes sense as he’s from Windsor.

Clearly he still believes in the league if he’s willing to make this sort of move. Positives assuming we land a good replacement.

Edited by Pottsy3

This could be a really good move - I mean, given the size of Windsor and lack of competing sports franchises (I now kind of hope the CFL does not come here), there is the chance that Windsor pulls a Halifax and becomes a really strong market. All they need to do is nail a stadium location and they can be a HIT. Now if only Detroit sports fans were as interested in attending Windsor Pro Sports Games like we are with them …

Well there's a surprise!  What year would they join? Wonder who Windsor's financial backer is?

Have to believe Clanachan has the contacts for lining up new sponsorship.  It should be only a matter of meeting the stadium requirements.

Edited by ray

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

The news about Clanachan is good as he had become a lightning rod for criticism for the way the league was run.

Sounds like the Windsor expansion is in the very early stages.

I'm sort of thinking the same, that it's early stages. That he it would be a conflict of interest for him to do both, and once he decided to start working on Windsor he had to step down. But once he had to step down, they also had to announce why he was stepping down and hence the expansion announcement. 

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

No but this is a little different. The man in charge of the league since day 1 has made the educated decision to own a franchise. 

@Watchmen Doubt he's doing the league any charities here. IF he's putting his money on the line, he has enough internal data to give him confidence that this is viable long terme