CPL General

11 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I would have agreed until we lost 7 of our last 10, and seem to have completely lost our identity. I really don't know what's happened to Pacific lately, and I was quite high on Pa

It's his first management job. He'll do well to stick around for 2-3 years, learning about himself as a manager, before he rushes off to another job. At his age, there's no rush.

5 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

It's his first management job. He'll do well to stick around for 2-3 years, learning about himself as a manager, before he rushes off to another job. At his age, there's no rush.

Exactly. I'm just less convinced now than I was earlier in the season, that he's likely to move to a higher level in the near future. He had us playing some high intensity, free flowing soccer earlier in the season, but we haven't seen that in a while. 

Playoff info:

https://canpl.ca/article/2021-cpl-final-tentative-dates-set-for-championship-match-next-weekend

Game date for final depending on the host:

Cavalry FC, Pacific FC: Saturday, November 27
Forge FC: Sunday, November 28*

Games can go into extra time:

Extra time in effect; extra substitution permitted for 2021 CPL Playoffs

All three matches of the 2021 CPL Playoffs will use extra time, meaning if a game ends in a draw the teams will play two 15-minute periods to decide the winner. If the score is still tied after extra time, the teams will play out a penalty shoot-out to determine the winner.

As well, clubs will be permitted to use a sixth substitution exclusively during extra time.

The 2021 CPL Playoffs kickoff Saturday afternoon in Calgary, Alberta when Cavalry takes on Pacific at ATCO Field at Spruce Meadows (3 pm ET/1 pm MT live on OneSoccer).

2 hours ago, ted said:

Why are they changing the rules to accommodate one team?

If they can't host the weekend of the 27/28 then too bad. 

The problem is obviously sharing the stadium, Valour or Ottawa if they ever made the play offs would potentially run into a similar scenario!

Edited by gator

Just now, jonovision said:

I think he'd be moving on regardless of any issues with CPL head office. He simply doesn't have the talent or athleticism as a mid 30s midfielder to be effective in this league. He does seem like a great guy and I understand why he's been popular.

See a lot of people complaining about the state of the league, based on players that simply probably aren't good enough.

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Probably doing his Red Card interview show thing again. Suspect he got the CanPL gig to stop him from doing that when there were still lots of delicate matters being negotiated.

Are you saying you think the CPL hired Totera to muzzle his show? He's the most enthusiastic Canadian soccer supporter in history, why would they want to shut him up? Besides, I can't imagine his viewership was very high.

Galan seems like a great guy..yadda yadda.  The players union stuff is valid..but a lot of this sounds like sour grapes.  Seriously..this brand new start up league isnt oranized as well as other established leagues??  Almost as insightful as Rollins and his article about there not being enough money in the CPL.  And he doesnt like ageism?? No shit, but CPL doesnt want to look like a retirement league bringing in 35 year old vets.

The usual suspects wanting to slam the CPL latch onto this shit and run with it.  And yeah, I'm sure the CPL gave the biggest CPL cheerleader (Totera) a job to shut him up.  How does that malarky pass any kind of smell test??  

43 minutes ago, Kent said:

Are you saying you think the CPL hired Totera to muzzle his show? He's the most enthusiastic Canadian soccer supporter in history, why would they want to shut him up? Besides, I can't imagine his viewership was very high.

At the time CanPL were operating with non-disclosure agreements with interested potential investors and keeping everything very hush hush to the extent that a certain podcaster who claimed to have a level of insight on matters ultimately turned out to have had the would be ownership groups wrong where Calgary and Winnipeg were concerned.

Anthony Totera was interviewing some top people in North American soccer terms so even if the audience was not huge it was still an influential one in the context of the sport. Having Totera cheerleading the league's emergence with misleading supposed inside info being shared in a completely over the top manner on a weekly basis wasn't necessarily good for the league's credibility at that point.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Galan seems like a great guy..yadda yadda.  The players union stuff is valid..but a lot of this sounds like sour grapes.  Seriously..this brand new start up league isnt oranized as well as other established leagues??  Almost as insightful as Rollins and his article about there not being enough money in the CPL.  And he doesnt like ageism?? No shit, but CPL doesnt want to look like a retirement league bringing in 35 year old vets.

The usual suspects wanting to slam the CPL latch onto this shit and run with it.  And yeah, I'm sure the CPL gave the biggest CPL cheerleader (Totera) a job to shut him up.  How does that malarky pass any kind of smell test??  

I agree in part, but the thing about the rule against foreign players over a certain age (is that what it was?) I think he is right about too. The teams should be able to decide for themselves. If Ronaldo tells you that out of the goodness of his heart he wants to play in the CPL for the minimum salary you don't say "Let me see, you aren't Canadian and you are over 35. We don't want you." That's obviously an extreme example, but if you think a player that meets that description will help your club, either on the field or help your bottom line, why would the league stop it? More freedom is ideal. Complicated MLS-like roster rules won't help the league. If the GM of a team is bad and does a poor job building a team, the team loses and the GM can be fired. It seems the league though wants some sort of league GM to set the template for everyone, but if that template isn't good, it holds all the teams back and you can't tell that it's a poor template so easily. So you just go merrily on your way assuming you'll eventually need to spend more money to get improved results in inter-league play, rather than changing how you are building your team.

4 hours ago, narduch said:

It was confirmed yesterday that if Forge win their game v York the CPL final won't be until December 5.

Kind of bullshit for the league to bend over backwards for them.

Should just let the other finalist host

That is the reality of 3 clubs in this league who are not the primary tenant in their facility, it does seem unfair but Forge have played 7 more matches than everyone and it was very tough for them to keep it together and finish 1st to get home field advantage, I wouldn't be pleased if they lost that because of a scheduling conflict!

5 minutes ago, gator said:

That is the reality of 3 clubs in this league who are not the primary tenant in their facility, it does seem unfair but Forge have played 7 more matches than everyone and it was very tough for them to keep it together and finish 1st to get home field advantage, I wouldn't be pleased if they lost that because of a scheduling conflict!

They ae basically going  to kill the momentum for the final. A 2 week break is stupid.

The league should have never publicized the date of the final if they knew this could happen.

Sorry bad this is a terrible look

46 minutes ago, narduch said:

They ae basically going  to kill the momentum for the final. A 2 week break is stupid.

The league should have never publicized the date of the final if they knew this could happen.

Sorry bad this is a terrible look

I don't disagree with you on any of these points, I will also add this isn't great for Forge IF they make the final because they will be potentially travel wary from a trip to Central America midweek!