Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

19 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

No, it is just the tone of your post chastising those of us who have the gall to be annoyed that a talented Canadian kid chooses not to play for us.  

I think being annoyed at his final decision (which technically hasn't come yet) is normal, and voicing that annoyance is to be expected. That's all you did here, which is no big deal.

Where it goes off the rails, at least for me, is when people (not you) start saying things like F*ck Flores and his dad for leading Canada on, which for several reasons I think is not good and deserving of being chastised. 

The worst you did was getting a little snarky toward @LeoH037, suggesting he congratulate Flores for choosing Mexico, but his post which you originally quoted probably wasn't even targeting you. Nowhere did you spew vitriol towards Flores.

As usual, someone says something outlandish, but you end up getting lumped in just because you sat on the same side of the argument. You assume you're being targeted (I don't believe you were on this occasion) and the next thing you know, you're getting dragged into a back and forth with another poster. I know this pattern well lol

Of course, this is just par the course when Canada isn't playing 😄

Edited by Obinna

On 4/4/2022 at 6:03 PM, Floortom said:

Why do people assume Marcelo is without agency here? the idea that its totally absurd that he would rather play for Mexico than Canada is kind of odd. We qualified for a world cup for the first time in 36 years. One good campaign doesnt change that history. It's entirely believable that he grew up wanting to be a Mexican national and never gave Canada serious consideration

You're taking the psychology out of the situation. This great qualifying campaign being witnessed by an impressionable 18 year old would give him pause about what national team to consider. You can't seriously think otherwise. 

22 hours ago, Craig11rm said:

All I can say is that I think over the next 10 years Mexico is going to be 3rd in Concacaf with or without Flores. Mexico’s youth development is stagnating and ours is just getting started. Our program and country has a huge amount of potential and I think we will win a World Cup before Mexico will. (Not saying we will ever win a World Cup) …. am I being too cocky?

No you are not. Mexico is all style, no substance. 

On 4/4/2022 at 5:53 PM, Kadenge said:

Can someone explain what's the rush for Marcelo to play for Mexico or Canada? He's 19 and does not have a single pro minute?  He's got loads of skill but not the physical maturity to go up v pro defenders. Can you picture him going up against PL/Championship CBs?   I would not get too hung up on him making the bench. Remember how many times Theo made the Wolves' bench and he got a total of about 5 mins at the end of the season and then a loan to League 1, which is about right. 

I think we in Canada sometimes are too "focusing" on physical strength, there are many top players who do NOT have the physical aspects of the game but have other incredible attributes, players like David Villa, Iniesta, Xavi, Foden, bernaldo Silva, Robben when he was at PSV or Chelsea....etc. (I don't want to name Messi here 🙂). There are many players like these guys who can become top players without the physics. Arsenal called Marcelo up to the first team so definitely he is good enough.

Even Pulisic is quite small and not that strong. Kai Harvertz is tall but not that strong. That is the beauty of football you don't have to be big and strong to become a top player. We need to change that mindset in North America.

6 hours ago, Rocho said:

I think we in Canada sometimes are too "focusing" on physical strength, there are many top players who do NOT have the physical aspects of the game but have other incredible attributes, players like David Villa, Iniesta, Xavi, Foden, bernaldo Silva, Robben when he was at PSV or Chelsea....etc. (I don't want to name Messi here 🙂). There are many players like these guys who can become top players without the physics. Arsenal called Marcelo up to the first team so definitely he is good enough.

Even Pulisic is quite small and not that strong. Kai Harvertz is tall but not that strong. That is the beauty of football you don't have to be big and strong to become a top player. We need to change that mindset in North America.

While all that is true, some leagues just seem to be more physical than others.  EPL would be one of those.  So he just has a tougher road than he might in another league, but if he can crack it then good for him.  Plus, all the comparables you list are exceptional talents.  I think you need that extra talent to succeed in some of those leagues.

We shall see.  I promise to pay as much attention to him as I pay to any other Mexican international.

8 hours ago, Rocho said:

My post referred to "physical maturity"....he is still young but his body looks younger. He may get there, but it's probably the reason Arsenal are currently holding him back from first team minutes and it would be the right call. For sure there are players out there that are "small" but small does not mean weak. You have to have an incredible level of skill or speed combined with soccer smarts to be able to deal with physical defenders. All the players you named have that extra special skill & or speed or both. Perhaps Marcelo gets to that level. btw teams call players up to the first team for various reasons and it does not always mean they are going to see the field...i.e. reward performances for U23, experience of the game from the bench etc. Liverpool, Bayern and Wolves with Theo to name a few have all done this. Time will tell... 

2 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

My post referred to "physical maturity"....he is still young but his body looks younger. He may get there, but it's probably the reason Arsenal are currently holding him back from first team minutes and it would be the right call. For sure there are players out there that are "small" but small does not mean weak. You have to have an incredible level of skill or speed combined with soccer smarts to be able to deal with physical defenders. All the players you named have that extra special skill & or speed or both. Perhaps Marcelo gets to that level. btw teams call players up to the first team for various reasons and it does not always mean they are going to see the field...i.e. reward performances for U23, experience of the game from the bench etc. Liverpool, Bayern and Wolves with Theo to name a few have all done this. Time will tell... 

Marcelo was clearly called for this game for reward for his play with the U23's.  Down 2-0 for 75 minutes and Marcelo was not used.  Marcelo is a creative attacking player that can score and create chances so for to be trailing 2-0 for 65 minutes and than 3-0 for final 10 minutes and not see the field, likely meant it was to reward him.  If he continues to see the bench this season than my tone will slightly change but it's going to be tough to crack that lineup with every one of Arsenal's games likely very important in securing a Champions League spot.

Lastly, both Odegaard & Smith-Rowe play very similar styles and almost identical positions on the pitch to Marcelo.  Going to be tough to overtake those players in the coming years.  Becoming a regular might come elsewhere in England but I suspect a loan next season more than anything.

Does Herdman have a connection with anybody at Arsenal? Do you suppose that Herdman has spoken to Flores lately? I wonder what he wold say. As far a Flores goes, what is his rush? He could attend a Nations League or a friendly camp for Canada to get a sense of our setup. He could then go and play for Mexico if his experience with a Canadian camp is not to his liking. You have to hope that he would keep his word and just check out Canada before choosing. 

On 4/4/2022 at 4:03 PM, Floortom said:

Why do people assume Marcelo is without agency here? the idea that its totally absurd that he would rather play for Mexico than Canada is kind of odd. We qualified for a world cup for the first time in 36 years. One good campaign doesnt change that history. It's entirely believable that he grew up wanting to be a Mexican national and never gave Canada serious consideration

Macelo came out in his own words November and told the Mexican media he wanted and would attend a Canadian camp before making any decisions.  His Mom was born in Canada.  He's 2nd generation.   He refers to himself as being Canadian when speaking to the UK media.

It's entirely possible and most likely probable he grew up watching and wanting to play for Mexico.  Just be up front and say you're fully committed to Mexico.  His Dad still tweets the Canadian flag.  It's annoying.  Be up front like Sali was.  If, hadn't in his own words said he would attend a Canadian camp people would not be annoyed.  They'd just be disappointed, but they would have moved on long ago.

• JamboAl changed the title to Marcelo Flores