Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

12 hours ago, prairiecanuck said:

His sisters are the problem..lol.  They committed to Mexico.  All 3 signed with a Mexican marketing company.  His brand helps his sisters.  If he doesn't stick with Mexico it effects them.  A lot of pressure for an 18 year old. 

My better half was born and raised in Mexico for the first 15 years of her life, so I understand and have been thoroughly educated on the importance of "Mexican Pride". And you can feel it every time we go back to her home town. The Mexican people have a deep love for their country and especially as it relates to football.

That being said, let's be honest.... the father is the problem here (at least optically). Not the Flores children.

From my perspective (although there may be some cultural impact), this is beyond pride in your birth nation. In my opinion, he's literally living vicariously through Marcelo. But even worse, because like the post above says, he appears to be leveraging his children in different ways.

Using Marcelo, not only to leverage his outcome between Canada and Mexico, but also to help market his sisters. And if you don't think he hasn't used his daughters connection to the FMF, to regularly be in FMF's ear about Marcelo, then I have a bridge to sell you. All the added pressure on Marcelo (and his sisters), it's squarely placed there by his father.

Edited by Güerito

1 hour ago, frmr said:

This was the analogy though. If OP moved to Germany from Canada and had a kid who was brought up in Germany/spoke German, he said he would still try to get him to play for Canada. Marcelo's dad moved to Canada and had a kid, but he still wants him to play for Mexico despite the fact that Marcelo was brought up here. It's a good analogy and I'm inclined to agree.

Yeah, exactly. If my kid was a soccer phenom in Germany with tons of attention from their national team, I’d still be doing what I can to convince my son to represent my country, since I’d have raised him watching more CANMT than Die Manneschaft. Sure, he would be for all intents and purposes German with a Canadian father, but the jersey he’d get for his birthday would be Davies, not Mueller. We may watch some Germany matches, but we’d cheer louder when Canada was on. The only way I’d feel comfortable with my son choosing Germany over Canada is if I had a guarantee that he would make the World Cup roster and play real minutes. All of this is seemingly what Marcelo Flores and his dad are trying to do. Which I get, but where he loses me is how openly uninterested he is to play for Canada, yet is still keeping the tiniest window open to join us so he can apply pressure on Mexico to call him up to the WC roster. So at this point, go play for Mexico, and hopefully for him he doesn’t get cap tied then buried and ends his international career with 5 or so games.

I think the Flores situation can be used in a positive way by Herdman. If Flores truly wants to rep Mexico, there is nothing we can do. Herdman can use him a as Harg**ves-like boogeyman in the future when we compete against Mexico though. I can just picture Herdman giving his pre-match speech motivating the boys to beat up on el-gringo Flores as payback. 

It still sucks to lose Canadian talent, but if are going to, we might as well embrace it.

I have said it before and will repeat myself, things have changed so dramatically for our talent pool with potential stars emerging all of the time so as much as it sucks for a Canadian to feel he is Mexican there is a good chance he will be just an after thought very soon and we will be talking about the next Canadian that actually wants to play for us!

When I see the amount of angst re: Flores joining or not, I'm reminded how much of this nervousness surrounded Ballou Tabla who, while I hope he has a resurgence into his career, has not panned out anywhere near justifying the amount concern that was expressed on this forum when he was being courted by the Ivory Coast. In the end, we got Ballou and he's been a complete non-factor. And even more important, our team is so much stronger now than it was back then. 

I'm not concerned if Flores chooses Mexico and I also won't hold it against him.

37 minutes ago, kohanz said:

When I see the amount of angst re: Flores joining or not, I'm reminded how much of this nervousness surrounded Ballou Tabla who, while I hope he has a resurgence into his career, has not panned out anywhere near justifying the amount concern that was expressed on this forum when he was being courted by the Ivory Coast. In the end, we got Ballou and he's been a complete non-factor. And even more important, our team is so much stronger now than it was back then. 

I'm not concerned if Flores chooses Mexico and I also won't hold it against him.

At the same age, Liam Millar with Liverpool wasn’t that far back from where Flores is with Arsenal. While Millar is an excellent player, he’s not exactly someone who would’ve tanked our team had he joined some other country’s team. It’ll suck to lose him, but I’d be shocked if we didn’t have a handful of guys at EPL academies before 2026.

I’m not justifying Marcelo’s actions and support of Mexico because I am a die hard CMNT fan.  But this just shows exactly how Mexico and Mexicans react to these types of scenarios.  It could be an eye opener for him but imagine if he had posted Canada qualifying.  Like I said earlier, had he done that he might as well have started  packing his Mexico uniform.

FWIW, I’m with Tata on this and even more with Herdman for not even addressing the situation.

Edited by Corazon

46 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I’m not justifying Marcelo’s actions and support of Mexico because I am a die hard CMNT fan.  But this just shows exactly how Mexico and Mexicans react to these types of scenarios.  It could be an eye opener for him but imagine if he had posted Canada qualifying.  Like I said earlier, had he done that he might as well have started  packing his Mexico uniform.

FWIW, I’m with Tata on this and even more with Herdman for not even addressing the situation.

What am I looking at bro? Most of us don't speak Spanish. 

32 minutes ago, Macksam said:

What am I looking at bro? Most of us don't speak Spanish. 

Twitter will literally translate every tweet for you.  For future reference, scroll to the bottom of the message in the tweet and you’ll see a “translate” button.

G. Martino on the statements of M. Flores. 🎙

“It is not logical that his decision on whether he will play for 🇲🇽 or 🇨🇦 is subject to which national team takes him to the World Cup. First you must consolidate, be clear about who you are going to play for. It's hard to say what the chances are."

Tata is basically standing his ground that in order to be in Qatar with Mexico, it has to be earned and that is far from certain for Marcelo at this stage.  

There is a guy on Instagram that has Marcelo's pic as his avatar and his name is "marcelofloresforcanada" and he is losing his sh*t trying to convince all Canadian supporters that he is his favourite player etc. It's quite entertaining really... I think most people have turned on Marcelo for his lack of interest in playing for Canada.

Wouldn't it be funny if he wasn't selected to either team? I can honestly see that happening... Maybe he has some Haitian or Jamaican roots...

44 minutes ago, hodgkiss said:

There is a guy on Instagram that has Marcelo's pic as his avatar and his name is "marcelofloresforcanada" and he is losing his sh*t trying to convince all Canadian supporters that he is his favourite player etc. It's quite entertaining really... I think most people have turned on Marcelo for his lack of interest in playing for Canada.

Wouldn't it be funny if he wasn't selected to either team? I can honestly see that happening... Maybe he has some Haitian or Jamaican roots...

At this point, I wouldn't really want him to play for Canada.  While it would be nice to have a hot prospect at this position, I would prefer to focus on any of Dias, Mitrovic, Costa, Habibullah, Colyn etc. step up down the road. 

1 minute ago, El Hombre said:

At this point, I wouldn't really want him to play for Canada.  While it would be nice to have a hot prospect at this position, I would prefer to focus on any of Dias, Mitrovic, Costa, Habibullah, Colyn etc. step up down the road. 

June is going to be an exciting time, especially if Dias or Mitrovic get called up for Nations League play.

I am really looking forward to the U20 tournament, to see if Jesse Costa is as good as the guys on Northern Futbol podcasts say he is.  

The bottom line is Marcelo needs to play professional games to earn his spot on any international squad.  Squads have been reduced from 26 to 23 players for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.  Every spot has to contribute to the squad.  An attacking midfield player is not someone you bring for a depth position as cards tend to build up amongst defenders and central midfielders.

The World Cup is in November and the Premier League starts in August.  Unless Marcelo is able to secure a loan from the start of the season and prove himself as a starter,  I just don't see him making either squad.  This is a big ask for an attacking player where production is expected right away.  The only scenario I see is him getting a loan to a Liga MX team for the apertura tournament (running from July to December) with the loan team hands him the keys to the offense.

https://www.wakingthered.com/2022/4/1/23005906/previewing-canadas-roster-for-qatar-2022

With the togetherness of the squad and limited players you can bring, I just don't see him making the Canada squad on merit.

Unfortunately, there will be a lineup of people against the kid if he stumbles professionally and he will stumble as everyone stumbles.

Edited by DigzTFC

58 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

He overplayed his hand, looks like a fool and an ass. Mexico now know that 1: their his choice, 2 he’s only using Canada for leverage, and 3 his threat isn’t real.

reality is no one who’s seriously considering the other country comes out and says that. World Cup spots are earned and not given.

*DJ Khaled gif*

• JamboAl changed the title to Marcelo Flores