Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

Pretty sure I read this is an unofficial friendly like the one we were supposed to have against Guatemala earlier. This won't even count as a cap. Mexico is calling up Jonathan Gomez who already has a US cap and who has not filed a one-time switch to join Mexico as far as I know. This is what Flores should be doing for his own development (regardless of whether or not he wants to join Canada, by participating in as many un-capping opportunities as possible)

Seriously forget about this guy , I’m kind of hoping he plays an actual cap tied game for Mexico soon so we can forget about this guy and move on. I will assure you that there is another Tajon type player who will emerge soon , a guy around the same age as this kid that we haven’t spent 100 years talking about and that will have a solid impact on our national team.

22 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Seriously forget about this guy , I’m kind of hoping he plays an actual cap tied game for Mexico soon so we can forget about this guy and move on. I will assure you that there is another Tajon type player who will emerge soon , a guy around the same age as this kid that we haven’t spent 100 years talking about and that will have a solid impact on our national team.

Not for nothing but Corbeanu was a staple on the Wolves bench at the same age as when Flores got his one bench appearance with Arsenal.  Only difference is that Corbeanu actually got some game time.

Its quite clear that Marcelo representing Mexico is painful for many on here and I get it.  There's a lot of hype. But I think that we should just keep the thread until he's officially cap tied.  I do find it interesting that he's only attending friendlies but we're likely going to find out anyways in the coming months.  If he's called for Nation's League, we can put a bow on it and send it out of here (although I think it coincides with the U20's or close to it).  

It's unfortunate that his father seems to be pulling strings here.  I've also seen tweets from Mexican fans directed to his father telling him he should cut back on tweeting.  If it was up to the kid, I think he'd give Canada a fair shot.   I just feel like the past 6 months have really seen his hype blow out of control which I think has got to him and his father a bit.  In reality, Covid cancelling Canadian camps and his hype blowing up recently, he may make the jump to Mexico without even testing the Canadian waters.  And Canada will be just fine without him if that's the case.

Edited by Corazon

We did what we could.  I was chatting with fans in Mexico recently about homophobic chanting.  They told me it was simply about being free to drink and do what they want.  The more they are told not to do it, the more they do it. 

outside our own rivalry, I really wish Mexico well.  Would love them to beat Argentina 

4 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

A Canadian kid that doesn't seem to know or care that Canada qualified for the world cup. A bit odd don't you think?

Think about this for second. Flores will likely not play for Canada but he's also been in the Mexico setup for years. Mexican fans have a reputation for being a little less than classy at times. If he moves it's going be abrupt and final, otherwise why would you incur the wrath of the fanbase if you're going stay with Mexico?

I think Flores is lost, but until that door closes completely I am fine with leaving his thread in the MNT forum for the ever-so-faint, tiny possibility he stands up for himself and shows for Canada OR the even better option he is a master troll and always intended on playing for Canada, but was just trolling Mexican fans :D

He would skyrocket from pariah to legend overnight lol

This may have been discussed in the previous pages of this thread, but as a hypothetical, what if Flores’ father was from a lesser Latin American country like Guatemala… would his proud Guatemalan pop be so insistent that his son play for them?  Like many things, I think money (present and future) has more to do with all of this than pride…Flores Sr. envisions his boy featuring on gigantic Bimbo bread billboards from Monterrey to Cancun.

26 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

This may have been discussed in the previous pages of this thread, but as a hypothetical, what if Flores’ father was from a lesser Latin American country like Guatemala… would his proud Guatemalan pop be so insistent that his son play for them?  Like many things, I think money (present and future) has more to do with all of this than pride…Flores Sr. envisions his boy featuring on gigantic Bimbo bread billboards from Monterrey to Cancun.

He’s already got Mexican sponsorships.  My die hard Mexican friend from the US says a lot of his decisions will also be because of money and sponsorships.

Not to mention there are 1,000 Mexican comments on his IG and Twitter for every 1 Canadian fan.  We’re still very far behind this culture as a country.  I have to think that the tens of thousands of Mexicans hyping him on social media right now has to feel good as a teenager.

Again, I hope he thinks about the long term best option for himself but only time will tell.  If it hasn’t already.

Edited by Corazon

Seriously. What kind of comment is that? 🤦‍♂️ I haven't chosen yet, BUT if Canada and Mexico call me, I am going with Mexico? Sounds like you DID make your choice dude.

If I was Herdman and Soccer Canada, i would make an announcement that if he commits to Canada he is going to Qatar. Just to mess back with them loll

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

So he’s leveraging us against them for a World Cup spot… he’s not good enough for either senior squad right now.

Let Mexico have him. 

Hes overleveraging at this point.
He has to have an outstanding appearance in the coming friendlies for Tata not to be crucified if he ever brought him into the WC squad. 

21 minutes ago, Shway said:

Hes overleveraging at this point.
He has to have an outstanding appearance in the coming friendlies for Tata not to be crucified if he ever brought him into the WC squad. 

It’s actually nuts, let’s not call him. If I was Herdman I’d just let him go, he’s a youth player.

ill take my chances with Dias, Mitrovic and Kosi Thompson who is a 10 but playing RB I believe.

1 hour ago, Razcal said:

Nope, at this point I say tell him "best of luck with mexico, there is zero chance we are calling you"

Say it in the media so he can stop trying to use us as leverage.

As soon as that is said publicly....the FMF will lose his number in the meantime. 
Now we just need a journo to make a fake report to get some traction. 

wait... @RS when did you post this

image.jpeg.0d820eaff49d039d0ac3132a52d18932.jpeg

🤣

Not that Canada would ever shut the door on this type of talent if a hypothetical opportunity existed, but it would be great for CANMNT to announce they’ve moved on and wish him best of luck as a Mexican international. He’d then lose his leverage with Mexico who in turn could develop him the way they want, ie he probably doesn’t make the World Cup, gets cap tied in nations league or whatever, and depending on how his career shakes out, maybe he makes the 2026 squad, but either way, he drops down their depth chart and joins the ranks of players who used dual citizenship to risk it with a powerhouse only to get cap tied and then relegated to a minor position on the team. 

that said, I do sympathize with the fact that his love of soccer comes from his dad’s family and thus his heart is with Mexico. If I moved to Germany, had a child, and that kid became a soccer phenom, I can’t say I wouldn’t do everything I could to convince him to play for my country, even though my kid would be a German speaking German person living in Germany. 

18 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Not that Canada would ever shut the door on this type of talent if a hypothetical opportunity existed, but it would be great for CANMNT to announce they’ve moved on and wish him best of luck as a Mexican international. He’d then lose his leverage with Mexico who in turn could develop him the way they want, ie he probably doesn’t make the World Cup, gets cap tied in nations league or whatever, and depending on how his career shakes out, maybe he makes the 2026 squad, but either way, he drops down their depth chart and joins the ranks of players who used dual citizenship to risk it with a powerhouse only to get cap tied and then relegated to a minor position on the team. 

that said, I do sympathize with the fact that his love of soccer comes from his dad’s family and thus his heart is with Mexico. If I moved to Germany, had a child, and that kid became a soccer phenom, I can’t say I wouldn’t do everything I could to convince him to play for my country, even though my kid would be a German speaking German person living in Germany. 

I understand what you're saying but your analogy doesn't quite work.

1) Canada-Mexico, Canada-Germany. As of today in both cases Canada is the underdog.

2) Flores is a poor Spanish speaker who is Canadian and doesn't live in Mexico but has lived most of his life in Canada.

Having said that,  I think Flores plays for Mexico. His two sisters have gone down Mexico way also.

4 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

1) Canada-Mexico, Canada-Germany. As of today in both cases Canada is the underdog.

2) Flores is a poor Spanish speaker who is Canadian and doesn't live in Mexico but has lived most of his life in Canada.

Having said that,  I think Flores plays for Mexico. His two sisters have gone down Mexico way also.

His sisters are the problem..lol.  They committed to Mexico.  All 3 signed with a Mexican marketing company.  His brand helps his sisters.  If he doesn't stick with Mexico it effects them.  A lot of pressure for an 18 year old. 

38 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

This was the analogy though. If OP moved to Germany from Canada and had a kid who was brought up in Germany/spoke German, he said he would still try to get him to play for Canada. Marcelo's dad moved to Canada and had a kid, but he still wants him to play for Mexico despite the fact that Marcelo was brought up here. It's a good analogy and I'm inclined to agree.

• JamboAl changed the title to Marcelo Flores