Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

On 4/14/2022 at 10:40 AM, prairiecanuck said:

Macelo came out in his own words November and told the Mexican media he wanted and would attend a Canadian camp before making any decisions.  His Mom was born in Canada.  He's 2nd generation.   He refers to himself as being Canadian when speaking to the UK media.

It's entirely possible and most likely probable he grew up watching and wanting to play for Mexico.  Just be up front and say you're fully committed to Mexico.  His Dad still tweets the Canadian flag.  It's annoying.  Be up front like Sali was.  If, hadn't in his own words said he would attend a Canadian camp people would not be annoyed.  They'd just be disappointed, but they would have moved on long ago.

Don’t blame the player here. He’s clearly in a dysfunctional situation and is having a lot of expectations imposed on him from various quarters. Some of those expectations being individuals who should be looking after Marcelo’s best interest rather than their own. 

18 year old me would not be handling this better, I will say that much. 

35 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

Don’t blame the player here. He’s clearly in a dysfunctional situation and is having a lot of expectations imposed on him from various quarters. Some of those expectations being individuals who should be looking after Marcelo’s best interest rather than their own. 

18 year old me would not be handling this better, I will say that much. 

Oh I don't disagree.  I think there was legitimate interest from the player to explore the idea of playing for Canada, but it's like he has succumb to the fandom he's received and the pressures of his family.  I have no doubt his father truly believes Mexico is the best option for his son with the success they will have in the future and how that will help him professionally.  I just think he's wrong and the player will regret an unfortunate decision that did not have to be so rushed.  

He’s entitled to play for whichever country he wants to. He owes nobody here an explanation. Watching grown adults acting like petulant whiny kids ( move this discussion to another thread, he’s dead to me, he’s only doing this because of the pressure from family ) because he made his own life decision is sad. 

14 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

He’s entitled to play for whichever country he wants to. He owes nobody here an explanation. Watching grown adults acting like petulant whiny kids ( move this discussion to another thread, he’s dead to me, he’s only doing this because of the pressure from family ) because he made his own life decision is sad. 

Asking for a thread of a non Canadian player to be moved out of the Men`s National Team sub forum is not petulant. Its the right thing to do.

Your post is stupid.

1 hour ago, Ottawafan said:

“He’s entitled to play for whichever country he wants to” yep 

“He owes nobody here an explanation” yep

“because he made his own life decision” 

Sure, it’s his decision to make, absolutely.  Now is he being given the best platform to make his own decision by those around him? I’m not so sure. 

Having people who you rely on for advice publicly make their preferences clear before you made your decision, provisionally cap tying yourself when you’re not yet at the stage to contribute as a full nats player… None of that strikes me as particularly great advice.

Again, to be clear, I think he personally is handling it pretty well all said and done. 

So now as a sports fan, I have to applaud and approve of decisions made by players for rival teams?  Well, that's no fun. 

Note to everyone going to the TFC game tomorrow: be sure to bring your Philadelphia Union scarf in addition to your Toronto FC scarf so you can show that you approve of ALL the players on the field.

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

So now as a sports fan, I have to applaud and approve of decisions made by players for rival teams?  Well, that's no fun. 

Note to everyone going to the TFC game tomorrow: be sure to bring your Philadelphia Union scarf in addition to your Toronto FC scarf so you can show that you approve of ALL the players on the field.

That's why they sell those half and half scarves!😀

6 hours ago, Ottawafan said:

Yes he is. But last time i checked this is a CMNT forum. He chose not to rep Canada, therefore this thread does not belong here. 

Plus sport is more fun when you get to behave like  whiny kid......therefore...fuck him! 😁😜

4 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Who told you that? I'm looking for that comment here.

2 hours ago, Vasi said:

Yes he is. But last time i checked this is a CMNT forum. He chose not to rep Canada, therefore this thread does not belong here. 

Plus sport is more fun when you get to behave like  whiny kid......therefore...fuck him! 😁😜

He’s a Canadian kid who hasn’t declared yet. No need to move anything. 

29 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

I  am not going to waste time on this kid until he decides on who he plays for. I dont get the hype on someine who has not played any first team  minutes yet. 

I do.  He has been named best player in an U20 tournament with the US, Brazil and Uruguay (I think); is one of the best prospects in a respected youth system of one of the top 10 or 15 sides in the world and has made their bench already before being 20.  He may end up being a huge fail for many reasons but i get the hype.

When was the last actual Canada-related news about Flores has even emerged? He said he'd maybe consider attending a camp in January 2021, nearly a year and a half ago, and since then has basically "soft launched" the Mexican MNT on his instagram multiple times- I don't understand what is left to be said about him.

On 4/15/2022 at 11:51 PM, An Observer said:

I do.  He has been named best player in an U20 tournament with the US, Brazil and Uruguay (I think); is one of the best prospects in a respected youth system of one of the top 10 or 15 sides in the world and has made their bench already before being 20.  He may end up being a huge fail for many reasons but i get the hype.

In the same regard, Liam Millar was an untouchable prospect for Liverpool at the same age, and ended up getting loaned until he left for the Swiss league. I'd love to have an Arsenal guy on the team, and I haven't watched enough of him to properly judge him, but unless he's going to reach the Davies/David tier by 2026, I don't know that he's worth the constant reminders that he's pretty solidly part of the Mexican national team.

• JamboAl changed the title to Marcelo Flores