Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

5 hours ago, maplebanana said:

I'm fairly certain Flores will ultimately choose Mexico. But I am enjoying the amount of panic the Mexican fans/media are having over possibly losing a kid born and raised in Georgetown, ON.

Lol he's from Georgetown? My team ran up the score almost every time we played them. I dunno if I want him playing for Canada anymore.

Hard not to smh at some of the Mexican fan comments, pretty wild... 

"Goalazo para el Canadiense gringo wanting to be Mexican" 

Hope the kid knows what he's getting into if he picks Mexico...

Completely agree with the board sentiment on that article either the agent or a family member trying to work a call-up. Mexico will call him for nations league, up to him if he plays well enough vs men to make Mexico's 23-26 for the World Cup. 

Edited by apbsmith
World cup

Given where he is in his career, from a pure economic perspective... you'd opt for the side (Can or Mex) that gets drawn into a group with perceived best chance of going far.  perceived is subjective of course and to be determined by his camp. 

The further you go, the more potential playtime, and then you could be like James Rodriguez in 2014. 

But like others said, it also feels like he'll go with Mexico in the end.  He's played with the youth team already, and post WC, there's a ton of earning potential via endorsements alone should something magical happen in Qatar

Mexico has a population of over 120 million, and very good demographics compared to its N. American neighbours. 

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We played a kid with hardly any pro experience as well, who is extremely green and really not ready for the NT (Kone). 

At least Fraser is deserving and we've seen he actually performs well for us. Though it seems a contradiction, I explain it away like this: he has a shitty agent.

Wrong player.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles-Andreas_Brym

14 hours ago, Obinna said:

He has to file a one time switch to play for us. And if he's going to the World Cup that switch will be filed. There's no chance we bring a player who cannot actually play for us. 

So he has to file a one time switch because he played in a friendly with Mexico or he played in their youth system? I thought he was considered to be uncapped 

31 minutes ago, shortofbrillant said:

So he has to file a one time switch because he played in a friendly with Mexico or he played in their youth system? I thought he was considered to be uncapped 

He does have to file a one time switch. He played in a friendly. 

9 hours ago, cornerkick said:

Given where he is in his career, from a pure economic perspective... you'd opt for the side (Can or Mex) that gets drawn into a group with perceived best chance of going far.  perceived is subjective of course and to be determined by his camp. 

The further you go, the more potential playtime, and then you could be like James Rodriguez in 2014. 

But like others said, it also feels like he'll go with Mexico in the end.  He's played with the youth team already, and post WC, there's a ton of earning potential via endorsements alone should something magical happen in Qatar

Mexico has a population of over 120 million, and very good demographics compared to its N. American neighbours. 

If either team brings him, it’s to cap tie him, not to actually give him a big role. So I don’t think it matters what group the team is drawn into. I don’t see him actually seeing the field in a knockout round anyways. Of course that could all change if he actually breaks out into a Premier League player by then. 

32 minutes ago, shortofbrillant said:

Official youth matches and senior team friendlies would both make him need a one time switch. He is not capped in an official senior team match, which allows him to still file that one time switch. 

PS he could still switch after 3 years of inactivity even if he plays an official senior team match, if he has no more than 3 caps.

I feel like Dave covered this situation in his little ditty Hangman:

I see a lot of man let their jealousy creep in
Watch who you eat with, the girls that you sleep with
Watch who you talk with, walk with, speak with
The first to the motives, and last to the meetings
Huh, all I know is how to work bruv
Start off as a worker and that's just how it works bruv
When I was tryna work ****** never tried to turn up
But when it's time to turn up everybody turns up

16 hours ago, cornerkick said:

Or Joel Campbell, another even more comparable example to dangle in front of Flores. Same region, same club in his crosshairs.

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

This makes the Hoilet saga seem boring.  Can we just shut up about this kid and lock the thread, or move it etc.  He doesnt deserve any of our attention.

This. We have to stop letting this kid/dad use his connection to Canada as a pawn to get him where he truly wants. Let’s divert our attention to players who actually want to rep the maple leaf. I think I’m done commenting on him from now on 

I mean, he's very proudly mexican and plays for the youth national team of mexico, so I can't say I am surprised by this. It's been clear for a while he wants to play for Mexico. If they want to tie him up during Nations League I say let them go for it.

Hard to assume anything about a kid I don't know, so take this with a grain of salt, but given his situation I feel that Mexico is the selfish play, while Canada would be the selfless play, if you know what I mean. Being part of the brotherhood is something bigger than yourself, but choosing to play for Mexico, when you weren't born there, never lived there, and (by all accounts) can't speak the language, is all about Marcelo.

That's just my gut feeling, but hey it's his right and his career, so I am not hating on it, just calling it as I see it. 

3 hours ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

This is his Instagram story today. Not a mention of Canadas group. Pretty much said and done tbh 

79DDB8DC-0EE3-495A-9632-734D0706AA54.png

He also just posted a highlight clip of him for Mexico with the caption being an eagle and a check mark which is a pretty unsubtle confirmation that he's committing to Mexico. 

34 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

He also just posted a highlight clip of him for Mexico with the caption being an eagle and a check mark which is a pretty unsubtle confirmation that he's committing to Mexico. 

Fuck this rat... time to move this to the world forum...Good luck to him. Hope he turns in a Tomori situation. 

I  understand Tomori, moved to England as a Toddler. 

Edited by Vasi

• JamboAl changed the title to Marcelo Flores