Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

Came on for Mexico in the 61st minute in a 0-0 tie with Guatemala.  I didn’t watch, but it sounds like his hype might slow after this performance.  Mexican fans on Twitter had more negative than positive to say.  Sounds like he had very little influence on the game.  Some suggesting he’s a work in progress with talent and others are quite critical of him and even saying Canada can have him.  Very, very few pushing him for Qatar online right now.

It will be interesting to see what develops on from here…. Between his poor Spanish, his interview suggesting he’s open to Canada and finally his lacklustre appearance came Guatemala tonight.  It was probably a week to forget for Marcelo.  

It’s also interesting that many fans on twitter are blaming his father and the media for the overhype.

Edited by Corazon

Maybe the best would have been to not commit and focus on first team in Arsenal.  

Tata is right - it’s not a great look to say you’ll play for Mexico if they call him for Qatar.   it’s awkward for coaching staff in both countries and even the brotherhood in Canada.  Really wish he’d had a friendly last January camp that was cancelled. 

9 hours ago, Corazon said:

Came on for Mexico in the 61st minute in a 0-0 tie with Guatemala.  I didn’t watch, but it sounds like his hype might slow after this performance.  Mexican fans on Twitter had more negative than positive to say.  Sounds like he had very little influence on the game.  Some suggesting he’s a work in progress with talent and others are quite critical of him and even saying Canada can have him.  Very, very few pushing him for Qatar online right now.

It will be interesting to see what develops on from here…. Between his poor Spanish, his interview suggesting he’s open to Canada and finally his lacklustre appearance came Guatemala tonight.  It was probably a week to forget for Marcelo.  

It’s also interesting that many fans on twitter are blaming his father and the media for the overhype.

Twitter is generally a cesspool though, especially after a result like last night. Browsing other Mexican soccer forums shows the reaction is more reasonable.

Most realize he’s not ready to contribute to the Senior team but they want him to stick with Mexico and get chances in friendlies like this and Nations League even.

11 hours ago, Corazon said:

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

On 4/26/2022 at 5:35 PM, narduch said:

This is why I want it moved.

He`s gone.

People that want to discuss it can do so in the World Soccer sub forum.

As has been the SOP on this board, if he's eligible for Canada, the thread stays in the Men's National Team section. If he becomes ineligible, it will be moved. 

This is a really level headed discussion from Mexicans around the question of Flores and Canada v Mexico:

For those who don't understand Spanish some key points they mention include:

- they don't think Flores is good enough to play for EITHER team yet and that he's only about potential right now. One lists all the guys ahead of him in Canada

- Flores wouldn't fit in the system of Mexico currently

- they say Flores wasn't really on Mexico's radar until the media made a big deal about Flores and about him maybe playing for Canada

- They say even if he goes to the World Cup with Canadá (they seem to believe the story of Herdman promising him WC) they say he'll not see the field. It would all be about having a different kind of player in the pool for 2026

Edited by saintjoes

3 minutes ago, Corazon said:

He did score again today with the Arsenal U23's in a 1-0 win over Leeds United U23's

Yup he has talent. But he is showing his talent vs children and amateurs. I can see why Tata and Herdman are not comfortable with disrupting things and allowing him a spot on a wc roster.  He is still a prospect. 

This is turing in to a international soccer telenovela.

12 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Yup he has talent. But he is showing his talent vs children and amateurs. I can see why Tata and Herdman are not comfortable with disrupting things and allowing him a spot on a wc roster.  He is still a prospect. 

100%.  Let him develop.  He's not at neither Mexico nor Canada's senior level yet.

25 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Wasn't Corbeanu excelling at this level just a year ago?

For a matter of comparison. 

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Yes. But was called for games against the minnows of the minnows to prove himself.

He was not called in for the WC without fighting for a spot.  Also, he did not attempt to manipulate his way on to a wc roster. 

4 hours ago, Vasi said:

Yes. But was called for games against the minnows of the minnows to prove himself.

He was not called in for the WC without fighting for a spot.  Also, he did not attempt to manipulate his way on to a wc roster. 

I think maybe the point is that Corbeanu is a damn good prospect too and why are we obsessing about a kid who was last in a mexican jersey???  We still have guys in the pipeline that want to play for us, not just to leverage there way onto another team.  

6 hours ago, narduch said:

For a matter of comparison tho, a lot of guys have taken large strides in this past year which have seen him pushed down the depth chart. Off the top of my head major strides taken by Millar, Buchanan, the arrival of Ugbo, and the emergence of Adekugbe/Johnston/Laryea that allows for Davies to be pushed further up field are all reasons why Corbeanu very likely may be on the outside looking in when final rosters drop.

So sure, if we were in the same position we were in when qualifying started, maybe Flores deserved a call. But now unless he makes some big improvements, I really don't think he deserves the look

I would love to see him with Canada of course but if he wants to play for Mexico good luck to him. Out of dual nationals that we have missed out on in past, with Floros the CSA hasn’t messed around and made mistakes like before, they meet with him many times, invited him to camps etc etc. So if he goes oh well we did our best. 
I don’t think it’s far to compare Theo to him. When Theo played for Canada, he looked really good and very dangerous. If he was playing in the MLS right now he would be dominating. 

Honest comment from the Mexico TV Panel saying he is very green, unproven and they truly believe he is coming for Canada. I think the opposite but oh well.

Kind of funny because the kid himself wants to play for Mexico.

I still believe he will accept being capped for Mexico and will bid his time.

Mexico cannot accommodate him in his role while Herdman could use him under David flanked by Buchanan and Davies.

Let the kid decide, and let's end this saga.

This feels so much like we are trying to date the hot girl in school, but the problem is we don’t even know if she is good in bed, and she also seems like she is very dramatic, and will complicate our life.

Lets stop acting like beta orbiters and be the true alphas of CONCACAF, there’s always another hot girl, who will satisfy our needs 😇

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/fixtures-results/marcelo-flores-mikel-arteta-arsenal-23844904

interview saying he wants to go pro and play in the WC before his 19th birthday. One interesting quote I found was he said he’d wanna be pro whether it’s with arsenal or elsewhere, either on loan or permanently, so not only is he not committed to any international team, he doesn’t even sound committed to arsenal, lol

53 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/fixtures-results/marcelo-flores-mikel-arteta-arsenal-23844904

interview saying he wants to go pro and play in the WC before his 19th birthday. One interesting quote I found was he said he’d wanna be pro whether it’s with arsenal or elsewhere, either on loan or permanently, so not only is he not committed to any international team, he doesn’t even sound committed to arsenal, lol

I wouldn't be committed to Arsenal staring down at Smith-Rowe (20 years old) and Odegaard (23 years old).  With Champions League a strong possibility next year and new recruits.  He may breakthrough at Arsenal's first team but he's not going to be a regular for quite some time.  For his sake, hopefully he isn't blind to this fact. 

Edited by Corazon

2 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

This feels so much like we are trying to date the hot girl in school, but the problem is we don’t even know if she is good in bed, and she also seems like she is very dramatic, and will complicate our life.

Lets stop acting like beta orbiters and be the true alphas of CONCACAF, there’s always another hot girl, who will satisfy our needs 😇

Are you talking about Amber Heard?

35 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I wouldn't be committed to Arsenal staring down at Smith-Rowe (20 years old) and Odegaard (23 years old).  With Champions League a strong possibility next year and new recruits.  He may breakthrough at Arsenal's first team but he's not going to be a regular for quite some time.  For his sake, hopefully he isn't blind to this fact. 

For sure, and I don’t blame him. Just find it funny to hear an answer other than the like “I’m committed to playing for arsenal, the club I’ve supported since I was a boy, and to hear my name called at Emirates stadium would be the dream of a lifetime and I could never imagine playing elsewhere” answer athletes typically give. 

• JamboAl changed the title to Marcelo Flores