Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

The U20 Concacaf Championship is fairly close in dates as well.  Maybe they’ll send him to the first game then to U20’s or whatever his father wants.

His loss if he wants to play with Mexico but I also understand the pressure from family and being entrenched in the youth system since 15.  Too bad that no one is thinking about what’s best for him and his career long term.

On 3/31/2022 at 9:55 PM, cornerkick said:

Given where he is in his career, from a pure economic perspective... you'd opt for the side (Can or Mex) that gets drawn into a group with perceived best chance of going far.  perceived is subjective of course and to be determined by his camp. 

The further you go, the more potential playtime, and then you could be like James Rodriguez in 2014

But like others said, it also feels like he'll go with Mexico in the end.  He's played with the youth team already, and post WC, there's a ton of earning potential via endorsements alone should something magical happen in Qatar

Mexico has a population of over 120 million, and very good demographics compared to its N. American neighbours. 

Not exactly the same situation. JR was killing it at Porto the year prior to 2014 and  then subsequently made a big money record setting transfer to Monaco, where he continued his fine form by leading the newly promoted club to a top three finish and Champion's League qualification, all prior to that summer's 2014 World Cup. For those well versed in the soccer world, he was already a well known commodity. He just happened to gain mainstream, casual fame during and then after the 2014 WC.

Edited by Macksam

21 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

^^^^ This 100%  I have tried to be nice but F#CK that guy.  As of now, to me he is just another mexican teenage prospect (out of dozens) that I dont follow and dont care about enough to talk about.  

I think that is going to be most of our reactions. He doesn't play for our team/ nation so why should we care about what he does in his career. 

12 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Ah.. love to see it.. grown men directing vitroil at an 18 year old kid... 

He is a professional and has his family spewing baloney on the web to wangle a call up to a national team, he deserves push back.

And who among us wasnt working with grown men BEFORE we were 18, and dealing with whatever shit they dished out and coming back for seconds??  

50 minutes ago, shortofbrillant said:

I think that is going to be most of our reactions. He doesn't play for our team/ nation so why should we care about what he does in his career. 

Why care enough to throw a hissy fit? That's my perogative. Why not show a bit of class and wish the kid good luck and move on?

This is for us as a whole, not directed at you specifically btw.

28 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

When he suits up for Mexico, you can send him a congratulatory card.  For me, as a die hard CMNT fan, seeing Canadian kids opt to play for other countries pisses me off. 

Rightly so. I don't like it either. I would have loved for him to play with us, but we move on and look forward to the guys who will be playing for us. We have enough quality now that such things won't kill us. 

Look forward to the extra spice this will give Mexico matches next cycle :)

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Why care enough to throw a hissy fit? That's my perogative. Why not show a bit of class and wish the kid good luck and move on?

This is for us as a whole, not directed at you specifically btw.

I don't disagree but... Flores is doing the exact same thing that Hargreaves did and we all know how everyone here feels about him 

2 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

I don't disagree but... Flores is doing the exact same thing that Hargreaves did and we all know how everyone here feels about him 

Good observation. I don't want to come off as being surprised people are reacting this way, but someone has to be the cool head, right :)

the other thing to is that hargreaves came at a time when we were irrelavent, but that's no longer the case. People will feel how they feel and it's not really my business, but I would like to see us stick our chests out and brush this kind of thing off. 

We want to chill with the big boys, then we got to start acting like them. You think the Mexicans would be saying FU Flores if he ends up with Canada? If anything they'd look inward and blame their FA for failing to convince the player.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

When he congratulated Mexico for making the WC but ignored the country he grew up in I think it became pretty obvious.  

That.

look reality is that the dad is probably the 95% driver of this. I don’t think Marcelo wants to play for them more than he wants to make his dad happy. This is Rueben living vicariously through his kid, Rueben’s dream is to see his son rep Mexico, I doubt it’s Marcelo’s and seeing an article where he says he’s Canadian sums it up for me.

am I fustrated sure, but this is no different than Sali, just Sali is younger. 

However, no one should be mad that we’re losing battles like this, we’re fighting for kids who were born here and partly trained by us, instead of kids who have ties to us.

Sali, Dias, Flores and Jebbison all spent more time in Canada then elsewhere and half of their football is with us, we’re doing things right and sooner or later that 10/5* prospect is coming and he will be ours.

6 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

That.

look reality is that the dad is probably the 95% driver of this. I don’t think Marcelo wants to play for them more than he wants to make his dad happy. This is Rueben living vicariously through his kid, Rueben’s dream is to see his son rep Mexico, I doubt it’s Marcelo’s and seeing an article where he says he’s Canadian sums it up for me.

am I fustrated sure, but this is no different than Sali, just Sali is younger. 

However, no one should be mad that we’re losing battles like this, we’re fighting for kids who were born here and partly trained by us, instead of kids who have ties to us.

Sali, Dias, Flores and Jebbison all spent more time in Canada then elsewhere and half of their football is with us, we’re doing things right and sooner or later that 10/5* prospect is coming and he will be ours.

Well said.  We are a program now that doesn't need to curse at kids choosing other programs.  We have quality in our squad and we're seeing newcomers emerge every year now.  At this point, it's his loss if he chooses to represent Mexico.  His father did a lot for the game here in Ontario as a coach but this is clearly more about what Ruben wants than Marcelo.  Also, take one quick search on twitter or his Instagram and its easy to see the culture behind the sport in Mexico.  For every 1,000 comments he gets from a Mexican fan, he gets one from a Canadian fan.  

It really is a shame because with both father and El Tri's "historical culture" aside, I truly think he best fits in with our Canadian program.  It will be bittersweet if he falls into international obscurity with Mexico like many of their prospects and even legends have over the years.

Edited by Corazon

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Rightly so. I don't like it either. I would have loved for him to play with us, but we move on and look forward to the guys who will be playing for us. We have enough quality now that such things won't kill us. 

Look forward to the extra spice this will give Mexico matches next cycle :)

You may not even have to wait that long.

It's possible we could come up against him in the U20 World Cup / Olympic Qualifying this June

• JamboAl changed the title to Marcelo Flores