Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I hope that is a joke frmr.  I dont want the precedent out there that a kid can force himself into the WC squad by withholding and generally f$cking around with his international commitment.  Who's spot would he take, the last winger/mid on the roster??  Maybe Millar, Wotherspoon...Fraser??  No thanks.  

Yeah probably not smart and won't happen, but it would be nice to secure his services, especially now that it seems he may be open to either country.

Edited by frmr

He seems so focused on doing things as quickly as possible that he isn't focusing on what is truly important - the long-term. Look at Munir El Haddadi, he jumped at the chance to represent Spain at 18 in 2014 (played 13 minutes) then never played for them again. Would have never got to play internationally again if not for the FIFA rule change in 2021 that allowed him to switch to Morrocco. He lost 7 years of internationally footy because of that rush to play senior for Spain. Flores is so focused on the 2022 WC (where he won't play much, if at all for either country) and could really limit his future opportunities for 2026/30/34 where he could be an integral player, if he makes a wrong choice. (I'm not saying which country is the right choice, just that he should make sure it's the one he wants and is truly the best for him [even though we naturally want Canada] rather than picking the one that comes first)

Edited by rydermike
minor grammar fixes

1 minute ago, prairiecanuck said:

Are we not going to do everything in our power to bring Mitrovic in for Naitons league play?  If we aren't it's a mistake.

How do we know for sure that Herdman hasn't?

There is always a lot of speculation and innuendo on this forum. 

We don't have all the facts.

My own speculation is that the need for the one time switch is problematic. 

Is Mitrovic going to give up Serbia forever to maybe play against Curacao and Honduras for Canada?

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

How do we know for sure that Herdman hasn't?

There is always a lot of speculation and innuendo on this forum. 

We don't have all the facts.

My own speculation is that the need for the one time switch is problematic. 

Is Mitrovic going to give up Serbia forever to maybe play against Curacao and Honduras for Canada?

I cant see him only playing in minor games if you look at the numbers hes putting up as a midfielder in the serbian league as a kid , we have midfielders in the MLS on our national team he will have a bigger transfer coming sooner then later.

4 minutes ago, Mitchryan11 said:

I cant see him only playing in minor games if you look at the numbers hes putting up as a midfielder in the serbian league as a kid , we have midfielders in the MLS on our national team he will have a bigger transfer coming sooner then later.

We'll see what happens.

Right now all the big transfer talk is just the hype that his family pumps out on social media

Edited by narduch

11 minutes ago, narduch said:

Thats where you start eh?  You do well...then you go from there.  These guys have to be thinking not just about this fall but the future.  Arfield is gone, blink your eyes and Vittoria, Borjan and Hutch will be gone as well.  If you want to be considered for the big dance, you have to make that first step and commit.  Then you've got this WC and the next to crack a lineup, if you are really that good.  So commit to us now and by 2026 you'll be in your second WC in a row and who cares what Serbia does??    

6 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Thats where you start eh?  You do well...then you go from there.  These guys have to be thinking not just about this fall but the future.  Arfield is gone, blink your eyes and Vittoria, Borjan and Hutch will be gone as well.  If you want to be considered for the big dance, you have to make that first step and commit.  Then you've got this WC and the next to crack a lineup, if you are really that good.  So commit to us now and by 2026 you'll be in your second WC in a row and who cares what Serbia does??    

I don't disagree.

I'm just trying to get in his head.

Like I said I think the need for a one time switch is problematic and could cause him to take more time on the decision 

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Actually, midfield is a position that provides the most opportunity for young prospects. Hutch, Wotherspoon, Oso and maybe even Piette will not be around for the 2026 cycle.

There have been many Arsenal reserve players that have flopped hard, excelling at that level isn't a sure thing. One good example is Gedion Zelalem. He dominated the U23s and was crowned the next big USA Midfielder. Now he's a fringe MLSer. Richard Eckersley was Man Utd youth player of the year, his career amounted to a handful of low league games in England and 100 in MLS.

So basically England your is pretty low competition. Promising youth are either around the first team or loaned out.

Hearing him say he wants to be in a World Cup by 19, with the context of him trying to create interest between 2 different countries and having not played pro yet (I think, or did he get into some meaningless game recently?), makes me think he isn't confident that he will be in the picture when he is 23 years old.

On 5/6/2022 at 5:35 PM, rydermike said:

He seems so focused on doing things as quickly as possible that he isn't focusing on what is truly important - the long-term. Look at Munir El Haddadi, he jumped at the chance to represent Spain at 18 in 2014 (played 13 minutes) then never played for them again. Would have never got to play internationally again if not for the FIFA rule change in 2021 that allowed him to switch to Morrocco. He lost 7 years of internationally footy because of that rush to play senior for Spain. Flores is so focused on the 2022 WC (where he won't play much, if at all for either country) and could really limit his future opportunities for 2026/30/34 where he could be an integral player, if he makes a wrong choice. (I'm not saying which country is the right choice, just that he should make sure it's the one he wants and is truly the best for him [even though we naturally want Canada] rather than picking the one that comes first)

Flores will be a fixture for 26, 30 and 34 that is not without question but I know with us Canada he would be just another part of our Golden generation but a part we would definitely need. But if he were to choose Mexico, the next generation of Mexican football would be basically centered around him or he would be a big part of their program for years to come. Decision decisions decisions.

2 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Flores will be a fixture for 26, 30 and 34 that is not without question but I know with us Canada he would be just another part of our Golden generation but a part we would definitely need. But if he were to choose Mexico, the next generation of Mexican football would be basically centered around him or he would be a big part of their program for years to come. Decision decisions decisions.

Until he plays with real men I’m not ready to say he is a lock-in for future world cups…for all we know he could be in CPL by 2026…Tabla was a hot prospect also

3 hours ago, Ruud said:

What about a mutual agreement between Canada and Mex to leave him off their rosters and agree to fight over him later. Would sorta benefit both coaches in a weird way 

OK John....Double promise pinky swear?  You got it Tata.   Breaking news Marcelo Flores has made his 1 time switch to Canada and will be going to Qatar.   WTF John.  We double promise pinky swore! 

If he was such a cant miss prospect we would be worrying about England. England isnt interested in him right now which tells you something. Doesn't mean he wont turn out to be a stud, however there is no big club that gives more academy players game time than Arsenal. He hasn't played a minute. 

Edited by sandman

2 minutes ago, sandman said:

If he was such a cant miss prospect we would be worrying about England. England isnt interested in him right now which tells you something. Doesn't mean he wont turn out to be a stud, however there is no big club that gives more academy players game time than Arsenal. He hasn't played a minute. 

Agreed. 

Consider that Jebbison has played multiple youth games for England now. Different position, but same age. 

To play devil's advocate though, we haven't seen any public interest in England from the Flores camp. It could be that England is genuinely not on his radar and given that he's played twice for the Mexican senior team perhaps it's vice versa as far as the English are concerned. Perhaps they just couldn't be bothered to pry away a player who isn't a top prospect to begin with (to come back full circle to your point).

I think we should wait to see how he his upcoming season with Genk (or Huddersfield) goes before committing to him. I fully expect to see him crack Reims starting lineup next season before worrying about calling him up to the first team. He may really have to convince the TFC brass he deserves to be in their starting XI before Herdman sends him an invite.

• JamboAl changed the title to Marcelo Flores