Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

39 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Why care enough to throw a hissy fit? That's my perogative. Why not show a bit of class and wish the kid good luck and move on?

This is for us as a whole, not directed at you specifically btw.

I was going to say, your bar for what is a hissy fit is pretty low haha. 

I have no ill wishes for him, i just don't overly care about his career one way or another. I do hope Canada will beat Mexico in every match though 😁

It’s looking like Dias and Jebbison are signing up with us and we lost Sali and Flores. So 2/4 not bad. I do think we had an better youth program- corrections a real youth program. We would be in better shape to bring duals in. 

Sali - I have more respect for because it sounds he didn’t want to play for Canada and Romania even put him in the senior team. 

Flores- is playing a game and it’s a shitty feeling. 

Edited by SpecialK

29 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

It’s looking like Dias and Jebbison are signing up with us and we lost Sali and Flores. So 2/4 not bad. I do think we had an better youth program- corrections a real youth program. We would be in better shape to bring duals in. 

Sali - I have more respect for because it sounds he didn’t want to play for Canada and Romania even put him in the senior team. 

Flores- is playing a game and it’s a shitty feeling. 

Did I miss something on the Dias/Jebbison front or is this because of them actually interacting with our qualification?

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

When he suits up for Mexico, you can send him a congratulatory card.  For me, as a die hard CMNT fan, seeing Canadian kids opt to play for other countries pisses me off. 

Hm. So just cause I decide to not go out of my way to throw a hissy fit im 1. Not a fan, and 2. Happy he is choosing another country? Okay... 

Just now, LeoH037 said:

Hm. So just cause I decide to not go out of my way to throw a hissy fit im 1. Not a fan, and 2. Happy he is choosing another country? Okay... 

No, it is just the tone of your post chastising those of us who have the gall to be annoyed that a talented Canadian kid chooses not to play for us.  

1 hour ago, Atlantic said:

I don't disagree but... Flores is doing the exact same thing that Hargreaves did and we all know how everyone here feels about him 

NO. Absolutely NOT. That is not correct.

The Whore went on television and said he was going to play for Canada.

AFAIK, this kid never did that.

Not the same thing at all. I'll be happy to boo him if he is on the pitch against us and you can call his father whatever names you like, but he is nowhere near deserving of the level hate for Whoregreaves.

6 minutes ago, ted said:

NO. Absolutely NOT. That is not correct.

The Whore went on television and said he was going to play for Canada.

AFAIK, this kid never did that.

Not the same thing at all. I'll be happy to boo him if he is on the pitch against us and you can call his father whatever names you like, but he is nowhere near deserving of the level hate for Whoregreaves.

Well to be fair Flores did go on the record saying he wouldn't make his decision until he has attended a camp from both countries. We'll see if he ends up attending a Canada camp or not.

Why do people assume Marcelo is without agency here? the idea that its totally absurd that he would rather play for Mexico than Canada is kind of odd. We qualified for a world cup for the first time in 36 years. One good campaign doesnt change that history. It's entirely believable that he grew up wanting to be a Mexican national and never gave Canada serious consideration

Edited by Floortom

25 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I've said it before but Marcelo is just a puppet for his dad.

Isn't his dad sketchy too? Like wasn't he coaching and passing himself off as having the proper licenses but he actually didn't?

I believe the controversy had nothing to do with his coaching resume but in fact was in regards to his playing resume in Mexico.  Some people looked into his professional playing resume in Mexico and were unable to find anything to support it and claimed it was "fabricated"  I could be wrong because it's been a long time since it happened but I thik if you do a quick search on Google you can find it fairly quickly.

IF Flores' and Sali's dads were even just neutral I bet we would have had a much better chance at getting them to play for Canada. But the fact that both of their father's were pushing them to other countries I think can't be overstated. They are teenagers and its their father. Soccer Dads at that! That's huge pressure.

All I can say is that I think over the next 10 years Mexico is going to be 3rd in Concacaf with or without Flores. Mexico’s youth development is stagnating and ours is just getting started. Our program and country has a huge amount of potential and I think we will win a World Cup before Mexico will. (Not saying we will ever win a World Cup) …. am I being too cocky?

1 minute ago, Craig11rm said:

All I can say is that I think over the next 10 years Mexico is going to be 3rd in Concacaf with or without Flores. Mexico’s youth development is stagnating and ours is just getting started. Our program and country has a huge amount of potential and I think we will win a World Cup before Mexico will. (Not saying we will ever win a World Cup) …. am I being too cocky?

Yes.

5 hours ago, VinceA said:

I've said it before but Marcelo is just a puppet for his dad.

Isn't his dad sketchy too? Like wasn't he coaching and passing himself off as having the proper licenses but he actually didn't?

He got fired in my hometown of Guelph

Can someone explain what's the rush for Marcelo to play for Mexico or Canada? He's 19 and does not have a single pro minute?  He's got loads of skill but not the physical maturity to go up v pro defenders. Can you picture him going up against PL/Championship CBs?   I would not get too hung up on him making the bench. Remember how many times Theo made the Wolves' bench and he got a total of about 5 mins at the end of the season and then a loan to League 1, which is about right. 

2 hours ago, Craig11rm said:

Do you think we will simply be ranked higher than Mexico, or do see us consistently beating/finishing higher than Mexico in Gold Cups Semis/Finals and in other Nations Leagues/tournaments? "Over the next 10 years" seems like a stretch. "In 10 years" seems more likely but still doubtful. Just because we are improving our youth systems doesn't mean they wont adapt and improve themselves.

Football Finances, Population, domestic leagues, climate, current organization are all in their favour. 

1 hour ago, JBR said:

Do you think we will simply be ranked higher than Mexico, or do see us consistently beating/finishing higher than Mexico in Gold Cups Semis/Finals and in other Nations Leagues/tournaments? "Over the next 10 years" seems like a stretch. "In 10 years" seems more likely but still doubtful. Just because we are improving our youth systems doesn't mean they wont adapt and improve themselves.

Football Finances, Population, domestic leagues, climate, current organization are all in their favour. 

I agree, they should be better than us and they should be competing with Brazil and Argentina but they aren’t. Maybe their youth are too comfortable playing at home in Mexico. Maybe us improving will make them improve but currently they’re deeper than us but I don’t think their best 11 is much better than ours and ours is younger. Just my opinion.

Edited by Craig11rm

6 hours ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Did I miss something on the Dias/Jebbison front or is this because of them actually interacting with our qualification?

Jebbison was listed for 60 player list for the last gold cup 

Dias played in U23 for Canada plus the social media. 

1 hour ago, JBR said:

I think that if they’re competing with the US and Canada for players that weren’t born in their country it’s likely we pass them. 

if the US wasn’t loaded at CAM, GK, RB RM and CM… the future of Mexico wouldn’t be bright…. Gonzalez’s, Araujo, Torres and Alvarez are all US born and trained… Flores is Canadian born and partly trained… they tried to get Pepi…. Not convinced Mexico is a huge threat right now…

Also overall Liga MX is bigger, better and more watched then Everdise, Pro league and maybe a few others no ? Yet Holland and Belgium are better..:

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

No, it is just the tone of your post chastising those of us who have the gall to be annoyed that a talented Canadian kid chooses not to play for us.  

so my tone irks you but grown ass men expressing their frustration by directing obscenities towards a kid does not? Okay.

13 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Can someone explain what's the rush for Marcelo to play for Mexico or Canada? He's 19 and does not have a single pro minute?  He's got loads of skill but not the physical maturity to go up v pro defenders. Can you picture him going up against PL/Championship CBs?   I would not get too hung up on him making the bench. Remember how many times Theo made the Wolves' bench and he got a total of about 5 mins at the end of the season and then a loan to League 1, which is about right. 

Couldn't the same be said about Messi though?  He isn't exactly imposing.  I'm not comparing him to Messi, just saying some guys don't need to be built like Okello or Bair to play ball.  Hell if St-Louis can do it in the NHL, who knows....

However, on the other hand, perhaps that's exactly why he doesn't have a pro minute yet?  He's definitely proven himself at other levels on the skill side, we have yet to see if he can handle the physical side of the pro game.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Couldn't the same be said about Messi though?  He isn't exactly imposing.  I'm not comparing him to Messi, just saying some guys don't need to be built like Okello or Bair to play ball.  Hell if St-Louis can do it in the NHL, who knows....

However, on the other hand, perhaps that's exactly why he doesn't have a pro minute yet?  He's definitely proven himself at other levels on the skill side, we have yet to see if he can handle the physical side of the pro game.

The point being that very very few players in any "contact" sport have a skill level and the smarts to allow them to slip  through defenders on a consistent basis without  contact.  The Chilean team took turns at knocking him down at every opportunity v Mexico in his senior cap. He has to show he can handle that part of the game in a pro league

• JamboAl changed the title to Marcelo Flores