Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

I know we all kinda pine for Flores but he still hasn’t even made his professional debut yet.  

I worry for him that due to the club he’s with he could be one of those “forever prospects”.  He’s at a point in his development where he has to start playing professional minutes or his development is going to be stunted a bit.  It’s really really hard to get into a Premier League team at 18 but there are other leagues.

In August if he’s playing for the reserves still it’s going to start to be a problem.

A lot of us our familiar with The Guardian’s “Next Generation” selection where they choose the top prospect at each Prem club (and also 60 international prospects - JMR was featured in their latest one).  Flores would have been in the running for the 2020 edition I believe, and he wasn’t chosen (Charlie Patino was - and from all accounts is rated higher than Flores).
 5 years after the 2016 version they revisited the selections here

And also, Flores is ultra-hyped / marketed by his Pops (and posse). This article from February lists 6 Arsenal u23’s (4 who around the same age as Flores) who are on the radar, and does not mention Flores.  I know that he is still tipped for potentially big things from within, but it just shows the number of other talents that are regarded in the same light.

I would have loved it if Flores would have declared for Canada, but the results of these projections show that very few become stars.  With a tinge of regret, we can all move on.

1 hour ago, TOcanadafan said:

A lot of us our familiar with The Guardian’s “Next Generation” selection where they choose the top prospect at each Prem club (and also 60 international prospects - JMR was featured in their latest one).  Flores would have been in the running for the 2020 edition I believe, and he wasn’t chosen (Charlie Patino was - and from all accounts is rated higher than Flores).
 5 years after the 2016 version they revisited the selections here

And also, Flores is ultra-hyped / marketed by his Pops (and posse). This article from February lists 6 Arsenal u23’s (4 who around the same age as Flores) who are on the radar, and does not mention Flores.  I know that he is still tipped for potentially big things from within, but it just shows the number of other talents that are regarded in the same light.

I would have loved it if Flores would have declared for Canada, but the results of these projections show that very few become stars.  With a tinge of regret, we can all move on.

Your 100% correct there

1 hour ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

For what it's worth, he did share a story on instagram congratulating Mexico for qualifying

It is pretty obvious he has decide where to play. I won't bump this thread awake anymore.

Hope everyone follows until he actually states he wants to play for Canada or actually attends a camp

31 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Many player dominate the youth level. We saw in his cameo with Mexico that he is very slight and can get bullied off the ball easily. We'll see if he adapts to the Premier League if he ever gets a shot.

At this rate I don't care anymore, he's not even a person he's just a puppet for his dad.

He won't succeed in the Premier League, I would put money on it. That's not to say he won't be a good player somewhere, possibly La Liga, but he doesn't have the physical tools to cope in the Premier League. Not a slight at him, his profile just isn't suited for what is the most physically demanding league in the world.

8 hours ago, toontownman said:

It's cool with have Dias posting congrats to Canada on his instagram. Shifting all my eggs to that basket. 

Plus he has repped us at the youth level, which I respect.  Would be nice to hear some sort of concrete indication re his intent but until I hear otherwise I consider him as part of our system.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Plus he has repose us at the youth level, which I respect.  Would be nice to hear some sort of concrete indication re his intent but until I hear otherwise I consider him as part of our system.  

What’s his alternative? Is there any indication whatsoever that Portugal are going to be calling him in? It’s not comparable to Flores or even Jebbison but reading this forum you would think he’s a mainstay in the Portugal system.

3 hours ago, frmr said:

He won't succeed in the Premier League, I would put money on it. That's not to say he won't be a good player somewhere, possibly La Liga, but he doesn't have the physical tools to cope in the Premier League. Not a slight at him, his profile just isn't suited for what is the most physically demanding league in the world.

I don't know man, the Prem being so much more physically demanding than other leagues is a meme imo. If Juan Mata was able to muster a somewhat successful tenure at Chelsea, Flores can probably do the same for Arsenal or some other Prem club.

Edited by Macksam

16 minutes ago, Floortom said:

What’s his alternative? Is there any indication whatsoever that Portugal are going to be calling him in? It’s not comparable to Flores or even Jebbison but reading this forum you would think he’s a mainstay in the Portugal system.

A relative of his posts here and (I think) he noted a year or two ago that he is keeping his options open in case there is an opportunity with Portugal.  Personally I just wish these kids clearly wanted to play for us.  

Like I said - Dias reps us as a youth and I appreciate that.  But if his participation has an asterisk that we are maybe his second choice, it somewhat dampens my enthusiasm.    

I'm not worried about what he can contribute to our program now. I do worry a bit about his potential and if he reaches it while remaining with Mexico.  Unlike years past, there are very few dual nationals that will make or break us.  Losing Tomori will probably be our biggest loss of a dual national for some time given our depth everywhere else.  We have some number potential # 10's coming up, I do not see a Chelsea/AC Milan quality Center Back coming anytime soon.

Edited by Corazon

• JamboAl changed the title to Marcelo Flores