Cyle Larin

shermanator

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

All this talk about Cavallina vs. Larin. Cav holds up better, and is more suited to be battling with the CBs up high. He can stretch the line better, is more suited to set plays. Larin can do it as well, but can also come in with space in front of him, playing behind or around a striker. Like David.

So you could consider playing Cav and Larin, but not if that takes a spot away from another attacker.

You have to decide how you want to play, as I see it. If we are going to renounce Davies as an attacking wing, which I don't agree with (with Gnabry now injured at BM perhaps we'll see him higher up starting this week), then it is fine: Cavallini, and David and Larin behind him. Davies as a back, or pushed into the midfield. 

Too many attackers on the pitch?

We need our best 11 on the field, we just pull the old 0-4-6.  Borjan just needs to make saves and hoof it up.

Davies - Hoilett - Cavallini - Larin - David - Laryea

.................Eustaquio - Hutch - Arfield - Kaye

..............................................Borjan

We could do something like this:

-----------Cavallini------------

Hoilett------David-------Larin

-------Arfield--Eustaquio-----

Davies-Cornelius-Vitoria-Laryea

-----------Borjan----------------

I'm not a massive fan of Davies at LB for Canada but if we're playing a side we're trying to break down in the first round this could be a great lineup. Tempted to even put Hutchinson at CB in this one.

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I'm not a massive fan of Davies at LB for Canada but if we're playing a side we're trying to break down in the first round this could be a great lineup. Tempted to even put Hutchinson at CB in this one.

No real comment on the formation but my god we have come a long way since the days of Unattached FC.  

50 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Are you (and many other people) already looking towards June?

47 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Are you (and many other people) already looking towards June?

The first round is in March and June - so I guess? That's why I mentioned "first round opponents". Bermuda has been a tough team to break down in particular and we face them in March.

59 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The first round is in March and June - so I guess? That's why I mentioned "first round opponents". Bermuda has been a tough team to break down in particular and we face them in March.

I say this because you and others keep putting Cavallini in your starting 11 for March when, I am 95% sure he is suspended for the big game against Bermuda (I mean, by all means put Cavallini in the starting spot vs the Cayman Islands but anybody should be able to get the job done against them - it's the Cayman Islands).

I would personally call Tyler Pasher (to see what he can do) or Tosaint Ricketts (one last time) to play striker for the Cayman Islands game so David can go to the U24s. But that's just me.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

8 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I know he doesn't play as often as we'd like, but I'd have James in over Cornelius. James has played Danish Superliga (for the champions) as well as UEFA Champions League group stage games this season, a much higher level than Cornelius, even if Cornelius might play more often.

9 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I know he doesn't play as often as we'd like, but I'd have James in over Cornelius. James has played Danish Superliga (for the champions) as well as UEFA Champions League group stage games this season, a much higher level than Cornelius, even if Cornelius might play more often.

There is unfortunately no standout great CB option. It is pretty subjective, dependant on opposition, and probably comes down to who is in form, has a good camp, and what Herdman's gut tells him. I would personally like to see how a Vitoria Kennedy combination would work.

9 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

There is unfortunately no standout great CB option. It is pretty subjective, dependant on opposition, and probably comes down to who is in form, has a good camp, and what Herdman's gut tells him. I would personally like to see how a Vitoria Kennedy combination would work.

vitoria is our number 1 cb. would like to see kennedy as well, hopefully he gets consistent playing time. 

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Didn't he just play a single game?

I know I am nitpicking here, but I do so because I don't think we can change our opinion on a player based on a single game. That also goes for Larin scoring 4 goals in a single match by the way.

Unlike Larin though, James has struggled to get time with his club in Denmark. I would feel better with someone playing more regularly, even if they are from MLS. I know it is not as sexy as playing against Atalanta, but that happened exactly once.

By the time March comes around that would be almost 5 months removed from that.

Larin has been consistently solid in europe for a while now. He had a good season on Belgium, and it clearly helped him find another gear to merit getting the consistent playing time he's been getting with Besiktas. He won't be scoring 4 goals in every match of course, but he has been a big contributor and reason to Besiktas's recent re-emergence in the league.  It also appears he has finally figured out what he is good at, and making the most of it. He is not the most technically gifted player, but man, the guy is doing what he used to do at Orlando, being at the right place at the right time, except its now at a much higher level. The goal scoring talent has always been there.. its honestly amazing what happens to a striker's psyche when he has the trust of his team mates and coaching staff.

Edited by LeoH037

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Didn't he just play a single game?

I know I am nitpicking here, but I do so because I don't think we can change our opinion on a player based on a single game. That also goes for Larin scoring 4 goals in a single match by the way.

Unlike Larin though, James has struggled to get time with his club in Denmark. I would feel better with someone playing more regularly, even if they are from MLS. I know it is not as sexy as playing against Atalanta, but that happened exactly once.

By the time March comes around that would be almost 5 months removed from that.

I guess we can agree to disagree about who's better between James and Cornelius.

On 1/7/2021 at 7:46 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

I'm not a fan of playing Davies at LB either but yah that lineup is tough to argue with

2 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I admire that he's now kissing the badge after most of his goals for a club that was trying to get rid of him for so long

Maybe I’m cynical, but don’t think kissing the badge means too much these days.  Larin didn’t do well in his first stint- the club had the right to try to move him along.  They are happy that it didn’t happen.

3 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm not a fan of playing Davies at LB either but yah that lineup is tough to argue with

Imagine if we had Tomori in that back line... oh well, we have somehow managed to build some decent depth at every other position it’s only a matter of time before we have a centre back or two blossom. I bet our B team could beat our A team from 5 years ago.

He's scoring the same type of goals he did at Orlando, the guy just knows how to be at the right spot at the right time. More importantly, he seems to finally be scoring goals that "matter" (someone here previously made a criticism about him not doing so I recall). Just the way he carries himself in the field now, its night and day. Its clear he has found his confidence, and with it his scoring touch. I've always rooted for Larin, since his MLS days (even more so because he is a bona fide Sigma product), so it's good to see him find his footing in Europe, and I honestly believe he has another gear in him.

Edited by LeoH037