Cyle Larin

shermanator

7 minutes ago, Kent said:

UT, the information in your original comment was useful and relevant, it was just the tone that is putting people off.

Agreed. There is a clear difference between:

"You are aware that this is against a third tier club sitting mid table and playing away to Besiktas, are you not?"

and

"A good contribution, but against a weak side from the third tier so there is not much we can take away from it."

3 hours ago, El Diego said:

Agreed. There is a clear difference between:

"You are aware that this is against a third tier club sitting mid table and playing away to Besiktas, are you not?"

and

"A good contribution, but against a weak side from the third tier so there is not much we can take away from it."

I think some folks just need to take their meds. Nitpicking about the tone, really, and giving instructions on how to speak on a soccer forum? That is a bit condescending and arrogant, wouldn't you say? You are going to set yourselves up as the syntax and adjective police? 

The original post did not properly inform of the situation, that it was a Cup match against very weak oppposition. Many of their top flight rivals killed their opponents in this round, as it should have been. Then the reaction was over the top, there were more posts praising Larin's skills against a team that plays in a stadium with 4000 capacity, than there were for Davies getting on the Fifapro 11. Not exagerrating. Is that serious? Then, when this is pointed out, however the tone (and it was nowhere near as snarky as I can get), all these backs getting up. 

I am not excited by Larin this year, because he has not stepped up when his team has needed it. He does not score much, when he scores it is not usually meaningful or definitive (game winners for example, or breaking draws). They were kicked out of Europe by an inferior rival and he was nowhere to be seen. In the league they have had a poor start, only mitigated by other rivals also doing poorly. The Larin story is a lot worse than is being made out, folks. So he scored against a tier 3 team playing away, against semi pros? Turn the page and move on.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think some folks just need to take their meds. Nitpicking about the tone, really, and giving instructions on how to speak on a soccer forum? That is a bit condescending and arrogant, wouldn't you say? You are going to set yourselves up as the syntax and adjective police? 

The original post did not properly inform of the situation, that it was a Cup match against very weak oppposition. Many of their top flight rivals killed their opponents in this round, as it should have been. Then the reaction was over the top, there were more posts praising Larin's skills against a team that plays in a stadium with 4000 capacity, than there were for Davies getting on the Fifapro 11. Not exagerrating. Is that serious? Then, when this is pointed out, however the tone (and it was nowhere near as snarky as I can get), all these backs getting up. 

I am not excited by Larin this year, because he has not stepped up when his team has needed it. He does not score much, when he scores it is not usually meaningful or definitive (game winners for example, or breaking draws). They were kicked out of Europe by an inferior rival and he was nowhere to be seen. In the league they have had a poor start, only mitigated by other rivals also doing poorly. The Larin story is a lot worse than is being made out, folks. So he scored against a tier 3 team playing away, against semi pros? Turn the page and move on.

I assume this was all sarcasm, because it's all incorrect.

39 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ok

18 hours ago, aloyol said:

I initially liked RS post about Larin acceleration but I then took it off after reading UT.

RS, I'll like your post only if you edit it to add some sort of mention about the weak opposition. Also comparing the defending with the Uruguayan league defending would be appreciated. Thanks

Silly me.

3 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Larin's goal is called offside, but still a great header:

Was very good, he has looked good, went head to head with a player a few mins ago, both players heads are bandaged now. Also I know it’s not his thread but Atiba looks crisp as always

Just now, Lansdude said:

Tied for fifth place with 6 goals in the Superliga scoring race but the players all around him have a bunch of penalty goals, except for Davidson's 7. His teammate Aboubakar is leading the race with 8 goals but 4 are from penalties. From open play he's the 2nd best goal scorer in the league.

I definitely didn’t see him having this sort of impact at this high a level. Impressive!

1 hour ago, Lansdude said:

Tied for fifth place with 6 goals in the Superliga scoring race but the players all around him have a bunch of penalty goals, except for Davidson's 7. His teammate Aboubakar is leading the race with 8 goals but 4 are from penalties. From open play he's the 2nd best goal scorer in the league.

Davidson's 7 goals have been scored in 1150 minutes played while Larin has only played 737 minutes. Looks like Larin is the clear league leader for goals scored from open play per minutes played.

Larin is much improved with off the ball runs. Today's goal was a good example. He was running diagonally into space a moment before the ball was played out of the back to Larin's right. He was in a perfect space to receive the pass which sent him in on goal. If Larin did not make that run in a timely fashion, the opportunity would have been lost before the payer on his right had even received the ball. This is a very good improvement in Larin's football IQ. Well done!

15 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Larin is much improved with off the ball runs. Today's goal was a good example. He was running diagonally into space a moment before the ball was played out of the back to Larin's right. He was in a perfect space to receive the pass which sent him in on goal. If Larin did not make that run in a timely fashion, the opportunity would have been lost before the payer on his right had even received the ball. This is a very good improvement in Larin's football IQ. Well done!

He's reading the game much better but his fitness level now is also night and day better than when he first came to the league. 

This match had an incident worth looking at, see the second video on this link:

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/game-highlights/besiktas-vs-sivasspor_game_17004173_sv.html

After some argument about a call, a Sivasspor player grabs a fellow player's cell phone and tries to show the ref a play he missed. He gets a yellow. The player insists on sticking the cell in his face, and get's a second yellow, red. This was end of 1st half when it was 1-0.

16 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This match had an incident worth looking at, see the second video on this link:

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/game-highlights/besiktas-vs-sivasspor_game_17004173_sv.html

After some argument about a call, a Sivasspor player grabs a fellow player's cell phone and tries to show the ref a play he missed. He gets a yellow. The player insists on sticking the cell in his face, and get's a second yellow, red. This was end of 1st half when it was 1-0.

LOL.  What an idiot

A very much doubt the dressing room door was even shut before the shouting started.  Wow.

18 hours ago, Floortom said:

I definitely didn’t see him having this sort of impact at this high a level. Impressive!

I’m not surprised after the amount of goals he scored in his first season in MLS you knew he had a knack for goals once he got use living in another culture , language and all that goes with it , he would get his scoring touch back.

22 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

I’m not surprised after the amount of goals he scored in his first season in MLS you knew he had a knack for goals once he got use living in another culture , language and all that goes with it , he would get his scoring touch back.

He definitely has always shown a good knack for goal scoring. The rest of his game wasn’t rounded out enough to play at this high a level IMO. Seems his time in Belgium helped quite a bit. 

Edited by Floortom

I'm curious how much his positional change has helped.  Also of note is that he seemed to play a similar position when we played Mexico - we defended as a 541 and then Cyle would release in transition to become a sort of second forward out wide.. it seemed to have flashes of working well.