Cyle Larin

shermanator

30 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

You mean other than the argument that Cavallini has performed better in a Canada shirt? I'm pleased Larin is having a strong season but let's not forget Cavallini has been a stud for Canada (and also finished the MLS season very strong).

hopeless... Sub in Larin for Cavallini in the games Cavallini has played, with the same supporting cast, and I'd argue Larin does as well. And finishing the season "very strong" with a bad team vs being the top scorer on an even better team currently topping the league standings? okaaay. Larin is a big part of why Besiktas have turned their season around so far, he knows what he is good at and is making the most of it.

Edited by LeoH037

Surprised by the “Larin is a true CF” type comments. He’s been most effective for Besiktas on the wing, hasn’t he? If we’re looking for a “pure CF”, Cavallini still fits that role best. Not that I’m saying Cavallini should be starting over Larin if Larin keeps up this form. 

There were some calamitous defensive errors but I don’t think it was fixed.  On the goal where it looked like a mini collision between the keeper and the defender, Larin actually gets around the defender to poke it away from both of them and then lash it in while fallling.  The skewed defensive shot that fell kindly for Larin to trim with would be impossible to replicate.  The last goal (not Larin) was a screamer that just smashed the underside of the bar.  Etc. 

I chalk it up to some great finishing by Larin and some bad defensive lapses - but I won’t devalue his accomplishment by suggesting that something nefarious was going on to allow it to happen.  

3 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

hopeless... Sub in Larin for Cavallini in the games Cavallini has played, with the same supporting cast, and I'd argue Larin does as well. And finishing the season "very strong" with a bad team vs being the top scorer on an even better team currently topping the league standings? okaaay. Larin is a big part of why Besiktas have turned their season around so far, he knows what he is good at and is making the most of it.

The irony is strong here. Cavallini suffered all season from lack of a supporting cast, which is the only reason people are writing him off because otherwise he’s been great for Canada and at club level. 

Larin just had possibly the greatest game from a Canadian ever in a European top flight. But let’s also recognize that most, if not all, of his goals this year have come from great service (or today defensive lapses). If Cavallini were on Besiktas I have no doubt he would also have a bunch of goals. 

The argument between the two may be moot anyhow if Herdman wants to play Larin in the same role he has played at club level. We could have Davies, Larin, Cavallini, David and Hoilett all on the same pitch. 

I want Larin to kill it for Canada - I want him to be better than Cavallini because he’s younger. But seeing is believing and there is absolutely no doubt that Cavallini has been the better striker at the international level. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

35 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The irony is strong here. Cavallini suffered all season from lack of a supporting cast, which is the only reason people are writing him off because otherwise he’s been great for Canada and at club level...But seeing is believing and there is absolutely no doubt that Cavallini has been the better striker at the international level. 

For March 2021 and only March 2021:
Larin ---→ #CanMNT
David ---→ #CanM23
Cavallini ---→ suspended due to yellow card accumulation

Revise again in June.

Makes it easy doesn't it? ;)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

Don't think there is any need for talk of moving elsewhere. He seems to have found his feet in a solid top flight league. Give him another year at least. It is obviously starting to work for him there and keeping that form is what matters most to him and us this year.

This. Not sure why anyone would want him to move if he's clicking at Besiktas, a pretty damn good club on its own right. Hell there was a time not long ago when having Atiba starting for them was the epitome of Canadian talent, and now Larin has managed the same.

1 hour ago, lenny said:

I wonder how many of these people arguing, "but Cavallini cuz his goals for Canada," were arguing for anyone but Ricketts not too long ago?

I get your point, but I am not convinced anyone was arguing for Ricketts. Love the guy and I am thankful for his dedication to the national team, but who was ever arguing for Ricketts?

9 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

For March 2021 and only March 2021:
Larin ---→ #CanMNT
David ---→ #CanM23
Cavallini ---→ suspended due to yellow card accumulation

Revise again in June.

Makes it easy doesn't it? ;)

I can’t see us sending David to U23 qualifying, especially when we have WCQ at the same time. Hopefully if we make Olympics, David will be there, but it seems really unlikely he’d be allowed to go to qualifying.

All this talk about Cavallina vs. Larin. Cav holds up better, and is more suited to be battling with the CBs up high. He can stretch the line better, is more suited to set plays. Larin can do it as well, but can also come in with space in front of him, playing behind or around a striker. Like David.

So you could consider playing Cav and Larin, but not if that takes a spot away from another attacker.

You have to decide how you want to play, as I see it. If we are going to renounce Davies as an attacking wing, which I don't agree with (with Gnabry now injured at BM perhaps we'll see him higher up starting this week), then it is fine: Cavallini, and David and Larin behind him. Davies as a back, or pushed into the midfield. 

Too many attackers on the pitch?