Cyle Larin

shermanator

They have played head to head??  Even in scrimmages they arent playing against each other.  Larin is 3 years younger and is still getting better, he has moved on from MLS and showed well in Belgium and now in Turkey.  You cant dismiss that.  I'd be happy with either or both depending on the game and situation.  But to be honest I still have a little FU feeling to Cav for his national team shennanigans and a lot of thank u to Cyle for his.  

22 hours ago, Shway said:

I just don't see how anyone doesn't have him in their starting line-up for us. Our attack or counterattack can be so affectively dangerous if we just have Davies, David, Hoilett, Larin going forward. 

Cavallini will be a great option off the bench, when the game slows down. 

I agree because well the attack/counter attack would be fast and that is what you ultimately want.

Larin has had a strong  season in Turkey to date and has developed in other areas of his game besides scoring. Having 2 strikers like Larin and Cava in our squad is massive as they  each have a few different qualities. Just keep in mind that Cavallini had a strong 2019 GC, just behind David and has scored against Mexico, USA and Haiti. In terms of production for the Nats he is ahead of Larin. It all depends on JH's game tactics, but its not clear cut at the moment for me as to who starts.

23 hours ago, Shway said:

I just don't see how anyone doesn't have him in their starting line-up. 

I mean for March, as already stated, for Match #1 it's Larin or David (Cavallini is suspended). If I could, I would start Larin and I would send David to the U23's to help get us to the Olympics (but I know that's not going to happen).

For Match #2 in March, it's the Cayman Islands so the guy you want up top is Tosaint Ricketts! :D He's the best vs Caribbean minnows!

Nothing against Cavallini but with current form, I am starting Larin.  That may all change in a few months time.  There are so many factors to consider when making a choice but current form and quality of league can and should be most important.  Yes Cavallini has played better for Canada in the past 18 months than Larin for the National team.  Larin was not always in form during this time and Cavallini took advantage of being the in form striker.  The majority of Larin's National team minutes have come before the last 18 months and playing alongside a much weaker cast of Canadian players overall.

To me its like making an argument that we should play Piette and Fraser over Eustaquio and Hutchinson because they have been better for the Canadian National team the past 18 months.  Yes, I know Atiba hasn't been available and Eustaquio was injured but that's sometimes how this argument comes across.

At the end of the day, if I am picking my starting 11, I am basing it on current form as every other top international team does.  Right now, its Larin for me.  It's not Ricketts because he is our 4th highest international scorer of all time.

14 hours ago, Bison44 said:

They have played head to head??  Even in scrimmages they arent playing against each other.  Larin is 3 years younger and is still getting better, he has moved on from MLS and showed well in Belgium and now in Turkey.  You cant dismiss that.  I'd be happy with either or both depending on the game and situation.  But to be honest I still have a little FU feeling to Cav for his national team shennanigans and a lot of thank u to Cyle for his.  

This. How quick some are here to forget Larin has been there from the start, literally. At one point he carried all expectations of the program on his shoulders (unfair and ridiculous to expect of any single player, let alone a kid at the time)

1 hour ago, ADP10 said:

I really liked Cavallini over Larin the past few years but Larin is doing really well this season to change my mind. He just never really played as well with Canada has he did at club level

check the line ups on Larin's game for Canada. Guarantee you replace him for Cavallini in the current best XI, and Larin will make things happen. He is a pure CF and natural finisher. He won't be the guy to start plays, but give him a good cast and he will find the back of the net.

44 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Having observed Cavallini-David dynamic in the 2nd US game, Larin - David seems like a more natural fit upfront.

Cavallini I find more efficient off the bench - you unleash him at tired legs later in the game which worked perfectly against the Americans.

The compatibility with the mids/wingers on the pitch is a consideration as well. Cav plays very well with Osorio behind him, for instance.

40 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Having observed Cavallini-David dynamic in the 2nd US game, Larin - David seems like a more natural fit upfront.

Cavallini I find more efficient off the bench - you unleash him at tired legs later in the game which worked perfectly against the Americans.

The thing is we don't play enough to know what our best combinations are. Those 2 games vs the US were a bit weird. At BMO every player had an outstanding game. The 4222 worked well. Away game, different lineup, different tactics and not sure anyone had a great performance...maybe Eustaquio in his cameo. 

41 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

The thing is we don't play enough to know what our best combinations are. Those 2 games vs the US were a bit weird. At BMO every player had an outstanding game. The 4222 worked well. Away game, different lineup, different tactics and not sure anyone had a great performance...maybe Eustaquio in his cameo. 

1) We collectively over-estimated the importance of Christian Pulisic & Michael Bradley and under-estimated the importance of Gyasi zardes & Sergiño Dest.

2) We were (and probably still are) weak on set pieces. The US just didn't set them up well in that first match.

3) The opponent is Bermuda - that is who we need to prepare for; if we can't risk putting Larin in the starting 11 at home against them, then when exactly is he supposed to get tested in 2021?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

6 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

1) We collectively over-estimated the importance of Christian Pulisic & Michael Bradley and under-estimated the importance of Gyasi zardes & Sergiño Dest.

2) We were (and probably still are) weak on set pieces. The US just didn't set them up well in that first match.

3) The opponent is Bermuda - that is who we need to prepare for; if we can't risk putting Larin in the starting 11 at home against them, then when exactly is he supposed to get tested in 2021?

No problems with starting Larin. He's having a strong season. My comments were more towards who are our best cbinations if we play with 2 forwards. Obviously this is all pie in the sky as JH may revert back to a 433

1 minute ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

3) The opponent is Bermuda - that who we need to prepare for.

Their best talent were rejected, but Suriname is still the much better team. 

23 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Their best talent were rejected, but Suriname is still the much better team. 

Exactly my point. This is the ideal time for Larin to be in shape. Our top striker is not in his best form and our other top striker will be suspended. We will be facing the 2nd strongest team in the group (not the strongest) and we should give Larin a chance if things remain as they are in March. 

2 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Exactly my point. This is the ideal time for Larin to be in shape. Our top striker is not in his best form and our other top striker will be suspended. We will be facing the 2nd strongest team in the group (not the strongest) and we should give Larin a chance if things remain as they are in March. 

Got it. I agree, it would be great for him if he could be a big part of that Bermuda match. 

6 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I mean for March, as already stated, for Match #1 it's Larin or David (Cavallini is suspended). If I could, I would start Larin and I would send David to the U23's to help get us to the Olympics (but I know that's not going to happen).

For Match #2 in March, it's the Cayman Islands so the guy you want up top is Tosaint Ricketts! :D He's the best vs Caribbean minnows!

Man you say that jokingly, but I would love for that to be the case. How massive would it be for Canada soccer if we qualified for the Olympics, qualified for the WC, and then hosted a few World Cup games in Canada.

We needs eyes, we need attention, so that we can bring in more dollars to the program. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Man you say that jokingly, but I would love for that to be the case. How massive would it be for Canada soccer if we qualified for the Olympics, qualified for the WC, and then hosted a few World Cup games in Canada.

We needs eyes, we need attention, so that we can bring in more dollars to the program. 

Only the 2nd part was jokingly. I was serious about the first part.

However it would be cool for Ricketts to grab a few goals and jump into our all time top 3 goal scorers.