Cyle Larin

shermanator

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

He costed them 2M cause Orlando trashed him for wanting to take a deal worth 10x what he was making then, after they of course weren’t willing to pay him more than what 300k ?

His base salary was 150 thousand, not sure if he would have been making much over 200k total in 2017. 

It was not just a question of money. It was playing for an organisation that would treat you like that.

22 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

His base salary was 150 thousand, not sure if he would have been making much over 200k total in 2017. 

It was not just a question of money. It was playing for an organisation that would treat you like that.

Yea I wished Larin had of fired back because man that was garbage.

he proves himself, you don’t pay him, you pay someone else more who scores less, you block his move/don’t facilitate it, and then you trash him for leaving.... 

rollins said at that time Orlando only ever liked him for his value, so true.

I really hope he does not move to Dijon. At Besiktas he’s going to be involved in what will likely be a tight title race for the rest of the season. He’s learning to perform on a team that is expected to win every match. He is also finally developing some consistency, something that was sorely lacking last year in Belgium where he scored most of his goals in one hot stretch in the middle of the season. He will not gain that experience on a team that only needs to win every few games to stay out of the relegation zone.
The winning mentality that is being fostered at Besiktas is exactly what we’re going to need from him going into WCQ.

7 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Had a bad miss on a breakaway at 0-0 but Besiktas won 2-0 and he assisted the second. Did anyone watch? How was his overall play?

He had a quiet first half but was more involved in the second. He made another good pass in the box that his teammate couldn't convert -  the play was offside anyway but it was another unselfish pass in the box for a clear attempt on goal. He could have had a couple of other chances on goal with some better passing from his teammates. A solid game overall.

He has become a consistent contributor on the team, which I think is the main take away this season. Won't be surprised to see him play in a top 5 league in the future if Besiktas decide to sell him. Hard to not be happy for the guy. I do find it hilarious how quiet MLS has been in regards to his success, if they weren't still salty about their break up then Larin would be the perfect player for MLS to continuously brag about 😂 (former 1st draft pick and ROTY finding success in Europe and all)

All around he looked pretty darn good.  Good movement.  Good decision making.  Plenty of energy.  Worked to become involved when necessary but didn't over do it.  Besiktas have an understanding and purpose of movement that Lille don't, at least today.

Did tank one on a break away, youch, and tripped over his own feet on the edge of the area at the worst possible time on another play but made up for it with some dangerous passes throughout the match.  

Lets see. In todays match as a gentle, peaceful, dusting of snow gently decended onto the pitch he got kneed, tread on, elbowed and just for good measure, a fore-arm to the noggin.  Sigh.  MUST have reminded him of his school days back in Ontario. 

P.S.  Hutch is one of Canada's living treasures. 

13 hours ago, Shway said:

That last goal was sheer pouncing. Look intended for the other teammate ha

Probably, but what stands out is his drive and the confidence he is playing with. I don't think he had that even while with Orlando. Its a new side of him.

8 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

Fenerbahce tied today so Besiktas are now two points clear at the top of the table. I never though I'd be this invested in the outcome of the Turkish super league.

Definitely. Now I don't know the ins and outs of Turkish football, but Besiktas also seems to be a team that is not overly tied to the country's political structure, they seem to have a bit more progressive fan base. With some socially radical components. Maybe I am wrong, but I understand they are more working and middle class Istanbul, and less tied to Islamic identities as well, more in line with Turkey's traditional laicity. 

I don't care that much for our players, if one of ours signs for a team I dislike, that does alter my opinion of the team slightly: I'll not be so virulently against their success. I dislike Bayern Munich, and was never a Rangers fan (their supporters, amongst the many foreign fans I have seen in Barcelona, are up there with the most disgusting), but having stellar Canadians on them has made me soften my views. 

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Definitely. Now I don't know the ins and outs of Turkish football, but Besiktas also seems to be a team that is not overly tied to the country's political structure, they seem to have a bit more progressive fan base. With some socially radical components. Maybe I am wrong, but I understand they are more working and middle class Istanbul, and less tied to Islamic identities as well, more in line with Turkey's traditional laicity. 

I don't care that much for our players, if one of ours signs for a team I dislike, that does alter my opinion of the team slightly: I'll not be so virulently against their success. I dislike Bayern Munich, and was never a Rangers fan (their supporters, amongst the many foreign fans I have seen in Barcelona, are up there with the most disgusting), but having stellar Canadians on them has made me soften my views. 

I’ve never followed the Turkish league before. I caught a couple of Besiktas games back in the fall in order to watch Larin and Hutchinson. They games were fun, particularly with Hutchinson in absolute beast mode in the first couple of games I saw, so I’ve continued to tune in. The more games I watch the more I become invested in the team and naturally the games are more entertaining when you care about the outcome rather than simply assessing one or two players.

1 hour ago, Norrin Radd said:

I’ve never followed the Turkish league before. I caught a couple of Besiktas games back in the fall in order to watch Larin and Hutchinson. They games were fun, particularly with Hutchinson in absolute beast mode in the first couple of games I saw, so I’ve continued to tune in. The more games I watch the more I become invested in the team and naturally the games are more entertaining when you care about the outcome rather than simply assessing one or two players.

I want to see Besiktas win the league and get into Champions. I want to see Bayern Munich lose everything, I feel the same about PSG, Juventus, and don't think having a Canadian has to alter that: let them make Champions just so our players are at that higher level, nothing more.  Rangers, was always more of a Celtic fan, as soon as Arfield is no longer there I will go back to disliking them. Lille, sure, let them win the league, they are not my team in France but I have nothing against them. 

I don't see why you have to change your colours just because of a Canadian playing at a club. But it's different with a league like Turkey where I never had any clear allegiance.

38 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I want to see Besiktas win the league and get into Champions. I want to see Bayern Munich lose everything, I feel the same about PSG, Juventus, and don't think having a Canadian has to alter that: let them make Champions just so our players are at that higher level, nothing more.  Rangers, was always more of a Celtic fan, as soon as Arfield is no longer there I will go back to disliking them. Lille, sure, let them win the league, they are not my team in France but I have nothing against them. 

I don't see why you have to change your colours just because of a Canadian playing at a club. But it's different with a league like Turkey where I never had any clear allegiance.

I feel like that about club football in general.

I never grew up with a local pro team to call my own, nor was I born into any allegiance. Hockey was different because my Mom was a Habs fan, so I became one too, but with soccer I never really had a deep attachment to any team. I gravitated to Arsenal and Barca for one reason or another, favored Rangers over Celtic for no good reason, but in any case I mostly tuned in for the game itself and didn't really care about who won or lost. 

Now that I am a Canadian supporter first and foremost, my interest in the club game entirely revolves around Canadians.

That said, I do have some preference for TFC, mainly because they were the original Canadian MLS team. Also, I finally have a local team to call my own (thank you CPL), so I am going to rep them. Anything else is strictly Canadian content for me. I want Besiktas to win as many trophies as possible, because I want Atiba and Larin to win as many trophies as possible, etc.

Anyways, that's how I see it. 

Edited by Obinna

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I feel like that about club football in general.

I never grew up with a local pro team to call my own, nor was I born into any allegiance. Hockey was different because my Mom was a Habs fan, so I became one too, but with soccer I never really had a deep attachment to any team. I gravitated to Arsenal and Barca for one reason or another, favored Rangers over Celtic for no good reason, but in any case I mostly tuned in for the game itself and didn't really care about who won or lost. 

Now that I am a Canadian supporter first and foremost, my interest in the club game entirely revolves around Canadians.

That said, I do have some preference for TFC, mainly because they were the original Canadian MLS team. Also, I finally have a local team to call my own (thank you CPL), so I am going to rep them. Anything else is strictly Canadian content for me. I want Bayern to win as many trophies as possible, because I want Alphonso to win as many trophies as possible, etc.

Anyways, that's how I see it. 

Pretty much the same, except I support against teams like Man U, City, PSG, which to me are pretty much like cheering for hedge funds, oligarchs, McDonalds, or the U.S. Army. There's a little bit of that in all pro sports but these are the absolute worst.

The rest is Canadian stuff though I have a bit of a soft spot for Liverpool because Gerrard was my favourite player but I'm not a fanatic.

Edited by Lansdude

Bayern Munich have a Polish player and a Canadian player, but I cannot bring myself to cheer for them even though I wish Lewandowski and Davies all the success in the world. A little while ago Dortmund had Lewandowski, Blaszczykowski, and Piszczek, so I followed them closely and was cheering for them every match. It helped that they were trying to topple Bayern and played attractive soccer, but I don't necessarily have any allegiance toward them now.

One of the more fun parts of following Canadian players (and for me, Polish players) is that you watch clubs you wouldn't normally watch. From there, I might gain an affinity for a club. With Jonathan David, I rooted for Gent because they were exciting. With Lille I watch basically every match, but honestly I don't care how they do beyond David. But I appreciate that I now watch Ligue 1 matches and see players I don't usually see.

I think I am too old to become a true fan of a club itself (unless Saskatchewan gets a CPL club). I find myself cheering for players, managers, or styles of play.

With European football I have a hard time investing myself in any team without a Canadian. I like some clubs more than others but it usually comes down to style of play and entertainment so I love watching big games. So now that we are seeing Canadians playing in big games it’s a lot more exciting. I’m from BC so the local teams I support have not been the best... so it’s been fun to jump on the Bayern/Besiktas bandwagon!