Zachary Brault-Guillard

PhillyCanuck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not sure if anyone is watching the CF Montreal game, but ZBG is involved in pretty much everything good offensively.  He set up Quioto for an absolutely criminal open-goal miss, he delivered another cross for a goal that was called back for offsides, and has been great all game.  

He was great until they took off Waterman and went to 4 at the back. Him, Bassong, and Waterman all looked pretty good in a back 5. Neither Bassong or ZBG did much in a back 4. 

Also don't get why Piette doesn't start. The games that he plays they are 2 wins, draw, and a last minute loss. While they are 1 draw and 2 losses in the games he doesn't.

This was an incredible loss to a team who hadn't won a road match in forever, so many mistakes including coaching, as was noted the defense was unsettled in a back 4 and as I commented in the other thread Piette was needed to settle the midfield down! The season started brightly for Montreal but it is going downhill rather quickly, at least some Canadians are getting some playing time!

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't even supposed to play tonight, but came in and did a solid job getting forward and defending whatever came at him. 

I've been banging the drum for him, because I think he was getting overlooked especially in regards to Johnston. 
However, he staked his claim to John Herdman. 

We have three solid RBs in Laryea, Johnston and ZBG.

Just now, Shway said:

Wasn't even supposed to play tonight, but came in and did a solid job getting forward and defending whatever came at him. 

I've been banging the drum for him, because I think he was getting overlooked especially in regards to Johnston. 

100# he’s been overlooked, but this year in MLS he’s been the best of the 3. Most important to his team aswell, I think his end product has improved. I would have loved to have seen Guti on the left, he was really on fire before that knock and honestly was right on ZBG’s ass for best CDN in MLS form wise.

7 hours ago, Shway said:

This of course is good for us especially when it comes to trying to qualify for Qatar 2022. However, still our only weakness in this national team more or less is at the center back (CB) position.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but is it becoming sexy to be a Canadian soccer player? If you know what I mean. Davies, David, and for sure in the Turkish context Larin and Hutchinson are blazing a trail. We seemingly continue to draw more and more interest from dual nationals that were conflicted at some point, and we are getting all these transfer rumors, specifically to Turkey it seems. Sure maybe they are made up, maybe they are legitimate, but I don't think there were a bunch of transfer rumours to decent top tier leagues like Turkey for guys like Marcus Haber or Karl Ouimette back in the day.

51 minutes ago, Kent said:

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but is it becoming sexy to be a Canadian soccer player? If you know what I mean. Davies, David, and for sure in the Turkish context Larin and Hutchinson are blazing a trail. We seemingly continue to draw more and more interest from dual nationals that were conflicted at some point, and we are getting all these transfer rumors, specifically to Turkey it seems. Sure maybe they are made up, maybe they are legitimate, but I don't think there were a bunch of transfer rumours to decent top tier leagues like Turkey for guys like Marcus Haber or Karl Ouimette back in the day.

I think there is something to what you are saying. Whether it is “sexy” or simply “there may be untapped talent”, it doesn’t matter. There is no smoke without fire. Our boys are attracting more interest abroad (from clubs and media) because we are showing there are talented Canadians out there and we deserve the attention. 

• 1 month later...

Almost any other Canadian team of the past and this lad is a starter. Gutierrez, Adekugbe and Bassong, I am being belligerent not naming several more. 

I know some people are pulling the CPL is failing because their are no players in the National set up but come on realism. The men's pool is the deepest and strongest it has ever been.

Just for reference. ZBG is having the season of his life and this thread was on page 7. We need a Concacaf U23 competition to compliment the Olympics. 

https://twitter.com/clubdefootmtl/status/1424527484280770562?s=20

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Almost any other Canadian team of the past and this lad is a starter. Gutierrez, Adekugbe and Bassong, I am being belligerent not naming several more. 

I don’t think there has ever been a time where over 1/2 of our best XI players are going to be playing either Champions League or Europa League this year.

If Buchanan moves to Belgium then 7/11 of our best XI are playing at that level.  

These are beyond impressive times in the history of our program.  If everyone is healthy and playing this is by far the best squad Canada has ever put forward.