Zachary Brault-Guillard

PhillyCanuck

It's an interesting convo to have when it comes to ZBG. At the moment he doesn't make my 23 but i also wouldn't be opposed to him on it.

The thing is we have Laryea and Johnston, and both are RBs but give us different things. Also Johnston can slot into RCB in a back three.

If we run a 4-4-2 or anything with a back four then we have Laryea and Johnston to cover that spot, and if we run 5-3-2 then we have Laryea and potentially Buchanon working the RWB with Johnston and RCB.

At the moment if we take ZBG we are taking a third RB which is too much. So ultimately he has to fight Laryea for the spot or has to show he can play on the left.

Herdman seems to prefer a 3-5-2 with Davies as the LWB and either Laryea or Buchanan as the RWB.  That’s really tough competition for ZBG considering how good Laryea and Buchanan have been.

ZBG doesn’t fit is as well in a back 3 lineup and at the moment Herdman seems to really like Johnson (who is earning it and deserves it) as the RCB in a back 3.

The Canadian lineup is really tough to crack with the fantastic attacking options and crowded midfield.

34 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

On what basis? Johnston has been a rock for Nashville and Laryea is Laryea. Aside from the goal I didn't think he was overly impressive last night. 

Before his injury he was MtL’s best player and it’s not a coincidence that they dipped when he went down. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah count me in as someone who agrees -  a lot.  ZBG had been very good for Montreal when I have watched them this year.  Not sure what he has to do to get minutes.  Thinking of last night, he surely could have come in to help close it out.  

Oh well, the reality is that Canada soccer is an exciting prospect right now so we will have lots of young guys absolutely chomping at the bit to be part of it all.  He is a quality player so I am confident he will get chances going forward.  

And I know it has been stated before, but what a beautiful problem to have that we have to leave really talented players on the bench because we are just too deep.  If we can develop that kind of depth in quality across the squad, we will be a force.  

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah count me in as someone who agrees -  a lot.  ZBG had been very good for Montreal when I have watched them this year.  Not sure what he has to do to get minutes.  Thinking of last night, he surely could have come in to help close it out.  

Oh well, the reality is that Canada soccer is an exciting prospect right now so we will have lots of young guys absolutely chomping at the bit to be part of it all.  He is a quality player so I am confident he will get chances going forward.  

And I know it has been stated before, but what a beautiful problem to have that we have to leave really talented players on the bench because we are just too deep.  If we can develop that kind of depth in quality across the squad, we will be a force.  

ZBG has one tiny issue. He suffers from the occasional mental fart. He has defensive lapses. It's not a serious issue. He just needs to be more consistent on the defensive side of the ball. So right now ZBG is not someone you would send in to lock up the game like say Piette. But he's only 22 and Nancy told him he'll help him to become a regular for his club and country.

Just now, Sal333 said:

ZBG has one tiny issue. He suffers from the occasional mental fart. He has defensive lapses. It's not a serious issue. He just needs to be more consistent on the defensive side of the ball. So right now ZBG is not someone you would send in to lock up the game like say Piette. But he's only 22 and Nancy told him he'll help him to become a regular for his club and country.

I guess I see him more as an option as the outside mid in a 3-5-2 type of system given his ability to get forward.  That way, he wouldn’t be such a key defensive piece, but playing o the outside with 2-way responsibilities.  That would fit into at least one or two of the systems we use and would (I think) play to his strengths.  The only problem with that is that he has to compete with some of the very best players on our team who also happen to fill similar roles.  If we didn’t have guys like Davies, Buchanan and Laryea holding down those position, ZBG would be a lock for a spot.  Put another way, in pretty much any other era of Canadian soccer, we would all be wetting ourselves over the idea of having a kid like this in our program.   

• 4 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

He's having a heck of a game v Orlando so far! Great runs and crosses. 

Of everyone missing out on the national team lately, he is the one guy I think deserves a spot.  In any other era of Canadian footy, a player with his quality (at that age) would be super exciting.  Yet these days he can’t even make out squad.  Crazy.  

12 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Of everyone missing out on the national team lately, he is the one guy I think deserves a spot.  In any other era of Canadian footy, a player with his quality (at that age) would be super exciting.  Yet these days he can’t even make out squad.  Crazy.  

He would if he played any other position.

• 2 weeks later...