Zachary Brault-Guillard

PhillyCanuck

Defender for Olympique Lyonnais (U19). Born on December 30, 1998.

Brault-Guillard made his debut with the Canada U20 program earlier this month and featured in both matches against Costa Rica. He was recently highlighted in an article on the Lyon website where he spoke favorably about his experience with the CanM20 camp:

http://www.olweb.fr/fr/article/youth-league-zachary-brault-guillard-j-ai-hate-de-jouer-ces-gros-matches-71715.html

Here is the English translation for the last paragraph:

"It was really a surprise, I did not expect to evolve to such a level. I was worried a bit. But it was a great personal experience, very rewarding. I had to adapt to the Canadian way of life, another culture. The course was held in South America, Costa Rica, suddenly I changed continent, it was really different. I had a lot of fun and I am looking forward to my selection. I think I made a good start, although my second game was better (Canada lost 2-1 and 2-0 in their two matches against the host country). I suffered a bit in the second half because of jet lag and heat, a radical change. But I think I'm pretty good for a first out."

Brault-Guillard captained the Lyon U19 side today during a 2-0 victory in a UEFA Youth League group stage match against GNK Dinamo Zagreb. It will be interesting to see how he develops and whether he remains committed to Canada as he is also eligible to play for Haiti (birth) and France (his mother is French and Zachary has spent most of his life there). He is eligible to play for Canada through his father, who was born in Quebec.

Lyon U19 profile: http://www.olweb.fr/en/academy/u19-players-staff-146.html

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

So does anyone know if he a fullback or a centerback? I can't seem to find much online

I remember an article mentioned he was a fullback, but I don't know what side. He's 5' 7 according to his OL profile, so unless he grows a fair bit I can't imagine he'd normally play as a CB.

12 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Pretty sure he played left.  Chung was on the the right.  Both good prospects.

I think he played right back actually, based off canada soccer Twitter where they listed him after the GK when typing out the starting lineups. He also captained lyon u-19s in the uefa youth league yesterday at right back so hopefully that's his main position.

Edited by thundercaps fan

12 minutes ago, thundercaps fan said:

I think he played right back actually, based off canada soccer Twitter where they listed him after the GK when typing out the starting lineups. He also captained lyon u-19s in the uefa youth league yesterday at right back so hopefully that's his main position.

Yeah, not really sure. Chung usually plays RB so I just guessed.

5 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Yeah, not really sure. Chung usually plays RB so I just guessed.

Yeah Chung does play RB for whitecaps 2, but he plays more LB for the youth teams he's been on (u17 & u20) because of our lack of depth there.

It seems like we have 4 RB's in our u20 pool (Boakye, Godinho, Brault, and Chung) and no LB's, which is not necessarily a bad thing considering there are a good amount of older LB's in our system. Kadin Chung can play both sides no problem though.

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, Floortom said:

This guy is probably going to turn into the next Tomori and make his way into the French system

At the risk of sounding dismissive and eating crow like certain posters who said there were 10 CB's ahead of Tomori, it would likely require Zach breaking into the first team and getting sub appearances to get a French U20 callup. There are a number of teenaged defenders in the France youth teams who have graduated from reserves to first team. Zach needs to jump to the reserves first, then the first team.

• 1 year later...

So he signed a 1-year contract to play with the "Pro 2" team in March of last year. They are playing in National 2 which looks like the 4th tier of French football.

He has 3 appearances (2 starts) for 208 minutes in 10 matches this year. Not sure if he has also been playing with the U19s.

http://www.olweb.fr/fr/article/academie-zachary-brault-guillard-signe-un-contrat-stagiaire-30519.html (in French)

He says his next step is earning a first-team contract at the end of this season.

25 minutes ago, farrelld said:

He has 3 appearances (2 starts) for 208 minutes in 10 matches this year. Not sure if he has also been playing with the U19s.

http://www.olweb.fr/fr/article/academie-zachary-brault-guillard-signe-un-contrat-stagiaire-30519.html (in French)

As a '98 he should be too old to play at the U19 level.

Hopefully he can solidify the starters spot at RB, at (soon to be) 19 yrs old he needs to be excelling at this level to be considered first team material at Lyon.

53 minutes ago, BradMack said:

Lot of connections here with OL and the Impact... Could be cheap backup at RB with potential to break through...

That's what got me back to him/this page.

However, it might be best for his career to stay in France and play than come to MTL and sit on the bench. Also I'm not sure how strong the connection is actually at the two clubs. The Impact hired their former manager who had been at Lyon a long time and ran the academy, sounds like we are signing their goalie coach as well.  Zachary Brault-Guillard also only arrived at Lyon when Garde took over as first-team coach, so I'm not sure about the connection between the two.  

• 1 month later...