Zachary Brault-Guillard

PhillyCanuck

I only watched part of the first half. Piette (predictably) looked very uncomfortable at wing back. Glad to hear ZBG and Tabla impressed. Tabla has so much talent man, I really hope he can put it all together and reach his potential. He can be an MLS All-star (or better) if he reaches his ceiling.  

Piette's perfect through-ball gave Montreal their best scoring chance, other than Tabla's screamer at the end. Speaking of which, it's too bad that shot wasn't a foot higher, as it might have been the game saver. Big fan ZBG - let's hope he plays a lot of minutes.

I wasn't fully focused on the game, but every time I saw Tabla with the ball he was hogging it and failing to beat his defender..

He brought energy ya, but i saw him lose possession a lot. I don't know, maybe I missed something here.

Just noticed I'm saying this in a ZBG topic, huh?

Edited by Colliedor

22 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

I wasn't fully focused on the game, but every time I saw Tabla with the ball he was hogging it and failing to beat his defender..

He brought energy ya, but i saw him lose possession a lot. I don't know, maybe I missed something here.

Just noticed I'm saying this in a ZBG topic, huh?

I think Tabla brings excitement due to his intention rather than his actual end product. He does repeatedly fail to beat his man, but he always tries and Canada doesn't produce many players like that. It is understandable why people are excited about him. Like any young player, we are tempted to focus on their potential while forgiving their lack of production (Millar is in the same boat), so it's good to hear a healthy dose of criticism about him. 

I should probably at least mention ZBG. Someone mentioned he was quiet and I saw the replay and would agree. That's not always a bad thing for a defender though. He never made any errors or turnovers, so at least you can take away that as a positive. 

I continue to believe ZBG versus Laryea is the main battle for right back. Both are solid options and so we have at least 1 position on the backline we can be confident about. Next we have to sort out left back. I would say it is "half" sorted because Davies is world class and Adekugbe and Miller are serviceable, but the position still feels unsettled for me. It probably will continue to feel that way until Herdman gives someone a run of games there. Or perhaps nobody has actually proven to him they deserve it and so he continues to resort back to Davies? Maybe there is some truth to that, but either way right back is looking good at least, for the present and the future.

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Richie is far more impactful than zbg. If zgb didn't come from Lyon I doubt we would even be having a debate. 

If you mean Laryea is more impactful because he can score or win a penalty when his team is down a goal, then I agree.... that's when he subs in for TFC . He has not won the starting RB spot  for his club for a reason.... his defensive ability has not been tested.  Ritchie is also playing with better players and more support at TFC. In the games I have watched ZBG play  last season and this season, he has performed very well and is a threat with his speed. He played conservatively yesterday and I have to think that was the instructions from the coaching staff for some reason!  I would comfortably say that ZBG is a more complete RB than RL at this stage and that he has a higher ceiling. Lyon does develop top talent through their academies, so its no surprise. With Davies potentially playing at LB, we need a RB that is sound defensively.

38 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

If you mean Laryea is more impactful because he can score or win a penalty when his team is down a goal, then I agree.... that's when he subs in for TFC . He has not won the starting RB spot  for his club for a reason.... his defensive ability has not been tested.  Ritchie is also playing with better players and more support at TFC. In the games I have watched ZBG play  last season and this season, he has performed very well and is a threat with his speed. He played conservatively yesterday and I have to think that was the instructions from the coaching staff for some reason!  I would comfortably say that ZBG is a more complete RB than RL at this stage and that he has a higher ceiling. Lyon does develop top talent through their academies, so its no surprise. With Davies potentially playing at LB, we need a RB that is sound defensively.

He doesn't start because auro a top right back on MLS and so Richie. Layrea has been a right back for a year and is better than zbg already. 

We need to use. 3-5-2 with Davies and layrea at wingback. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

He has not won the starting RB spot  for his club for a reason.... his defensive ability has not been tested. 

This is such an odd take.

In the end of the day, Laryea started in 16 matches last season  while ZBG started 9. You can't exactly call ZBG a starter too. I mean, we just witnessed Piette starting over him last match.

A player not starting is not always a reasonable argument imo. Managers make moves we don't always agree with. I would personally rather see Laryea over Auro, just like I'm sure people didn't agree with seeing Piette start over ZBG.

And people need to quit it with this whole "defending" thing with Laryea. What has he been doing to make people still think like this? He played RB all season last year, he's had plenty of games to show what he can do defensively. He has been tested and has done well, so I don't get the problem here.

If I remember right, I recall seeing his defensive stats outshining Auro's last year.

I like both ZBG and Laryea as options at rb. I really do think they are inter changeable in our starting XI. With his age and slightly more experience, I’d have to go with Laryea with the slight edge RIGHT NOW. If I had to say who I thought has the higher ceiling, I’d give it to ZBG. I’m just happy we got 2 solid options on our already questionable back line

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

17 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

This is such an odd take.

In the end of the day, Laryea started in 16 matches last season  while ZBG started 9. You can't exactly call ZBG a starter too. I mean, we just witnessed Piette starting over him last match.

A player not starting is not always a reasonable argument imo. Managers make moves we don't always agree with. I would personally rather see Laryea over Auro, just like I'm sure people didn't agree with seeing Piette start over ZBG.

And people need to quit it with this whole "defending" thing with Laryea. What has he been doing to make people still think like this? He played RB all season last year, he's had plenty of games to show what he can do defensively. He has been tested and has done well, so I don't get the problem here.

If I remember right, I recall seeing his defensive stats outshining Auro's last year.

Auro is definitely a better defender. He had good defensive stats. Tfc is best with both on the field.