Zachary Brault-Guillard

PhillyCanuck

7 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

But with that, he is surplus to requirements at the moment but imo a good fit and asset for other MLS teams, so I could see him moved elsewhere in order to get another player who fills a need.

Yes for sure. He may also be angling for a move back to Europe. There were links with Brondby not so long ago, who sit 3rd in the Danish Superliga. Whether he moves within or outside MLS, or not at all, MTL have built some nice depth in the back. He may be viewed as a moveable asset to free up funds to strengthen other areas, but the same could be said for a number of players. I guess we'll have to wait and see, he could be back in the starting line up in short order for all we know.

The other thing I just thought of was that he ended last season off with an injury, in the Voyageurs cup final. Perhaps coming off the bench has more to do with that than anything else we've mentioned thus far.

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

Yes for sure. He may also be angling for a move back to Europe. There were links with Brondby not so long ago, who sit 3rd in the Danish Superliga. Whether he moves within or outside MLS, or not at all, MTL have built some nice depth in the back. He may be viewed as a moveable asset to free up funds to strengthen other areas, but the same could be said for a number of players. I guess we'll have to wait and see, he could be back in the starting line up in short order for all we know.

The other thing I just thought of was that he ended last season off with an injury, in the Voyageurs cup final. Perhaps coming off the bench has more to do with that than anything else we've mentioned thus far.

I feel they're being careful with the injury.  ZBG was a beast last year and still has lots of potential.  I believe he offers more than Lappi and Bassong who has also been getting minutes.  Choniere would be even better if he played in the middle, but it's pretty congested at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

So they invited Spoony and Piette to Toronto but was he there? I don't recall seeing him.

I didn't see him, but I definitely heard Spoony's name called out after the Jamaica game when they were bringing out the team and had the honour guard. I can't remember if Piette was mentioned. It definitely sounded like he was there, but it was hard to see exactly what was going on.

9 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

So they invited Spoony and Piette to Toronto but was he there? I don't recall seeing him.

It seems to me that the only players they brought in were players who would have been on the roster if not for injury. ZBG and Shaffelburg were assumedly on the extended roster but are still outside of the calls.

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Signed a contract extension with Montreal. I don't love the move. He hasn't been starting much this year while I feel he should be. I think he is better than MLS and should have gone back to Europe. He also should be a regular call up for us and won't be while he is on the Montreal bench.

Is he better than MLS if he can't even start regularly? Where in Europe will he go? Anywhere he goes will likely be a step down from MLS and likely start riding the bench.

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Is he better than MLS if he can't even start regularly? Where in Europe will he go? Anywhere he goes will likely be a step down from MLS and likely start riding the bench.

He was one of their best players last year and TBH I still don’t understand the Johnston trade and don’t think he’s a fit for their style. ZBG tbh merited a call up to almost every window before he got injured and then he did work his way back. If Laryea or Johnston hadn’t of played so well ZBG was in, he ran and they have been running just as fast. I do think he can move up a level also as he’s been on their asses for a year.

• 1 month later...

Came on the field when Johnston limped off about 10 minutes ago and has since gotten a goal and assist.  I know it is great to have Canadians playing for our three MLS teams but I really dislike the fact that Alistair and ZBG seem to be competing for the same position.  ZBG is a really talented player and he needs to be starting somewhere. - either on another MLS team or in another league.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

Came on the field when Johnston limped off and has since gotten a goal and assist.  I know it is great to have Canadians playing for our three MLS teams but I really dislike the fact that Alistair and ZBG seem to be competing for the same position.  ZBG is a really talented player and he needs to be starting somewhere. - either on another MLS team or in another league.  

This. Don't understand why he re signed with Montreal this year given his predicament

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Came on the field when Johnston limped off about 10 minutes ago and has since gotten a goal and assist.  I know it is great to have Canadians playing for our three MLS teams but I really dislike the fact that Alistair and ZBG seem to be competing for the same position.  ZBG is a really talented player and he needs to be starting somewhere. - either on another MLS team or in another league.  

Bitter rivals, but it is a position of need for TFC. 

Just now, canuckgbp said:

Bitter rivals, but it is a position of need for TFC. 

That would be the ideal outcome.  No idea what their working relationship is like but you would have to think that both teams have some interest in advancing Canadian soccer.  Not saying it would in any way override the team’s self interest but hopefully they would be willing to land on a mutually beneficial situation that would see young Canadians getting more playing time.  

Bottom line is the Brault Guiilard absolutely has the quality to start in MLS  consistently.   

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

That would be the ideal outcome.  No idea what their working relationship is like but you would have to think that both teams have some interest in advancing Canadian soccer.  Not saying it would in any way override the team’s self interest but hopefully they would be willing to land on a mutually beneficial situation that would see young Canadians getting more playing time.  

Bottom line is the Brault Guiilard absolutely has the quality to start in MLS  consistently.   

He deserves to play and a move to be a starter, he was fire last year.

• 1 month later...