Zachary Brault-Guillard

PhillyCanuck

13 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

More options are  better than less, but with ZBG (21) and Richie (25) who are just going to get better,  RB is no longer an area of weakness. Laryea has 1+ seasons at RB and ZBG was playing behind Sagna last year. 

Eh..I’m not really ready to say it’s not an area of weakness just because of Laryea and ZBG. Laryea had some nice moments last year but he’s far from proven. ZBG even less so. Think we need to see much more from both of them to get to the point of being comfortable with our RB options.

4 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Eh..I’m not really ready to say it’s not an area of weakness just because of Laryea and ZBG. Laryea had some nice moments last year but he’s far from proven. ZBG even less so. Think we need to see much more from both of them to get to the point of being comfortable with our RB options.

I am in the other camp on this one.  With our lack of depth at the back (and Phonzie often shoved in at LB) I think RB is doing pretty well on the bell curve.  Neither are world beaters at this point but I think Laryea is fairly proven given his performances with TFC and I have been happy with ZBG while playing with the Nats.  I am more concerned about the other defensive positions than I am with RB.  

2 hours ago, maccaliam said:

It feels nice to be disagreeing about which right back is the better option for playing right back. It isn’t long ago we were all discussing which centre back or midfielder was best suited to play out of position at RB. 

HEHE, Ledgerwood is still in Europe, would it be better to slip Attakora over to RB, didnt he play there once in youth ball?? Or maybe Hainault??  Didnt Hutch play some RB in Denmark?  Oh to be in the glory days of 2011/2012.

3 hours ago, Floortom said:

There is nothing in Brault-Guillard's game that suggests he won't go anywhere but up. He is an athletic two-way right back with excellent decision making and a certain poise you develop when coming up at a club like Lyon. For me he is the definition of a natural right back. I would be more worried about Laryea falling off than Zachary, since the way Richie plays right back is a little more unorthodox, but even for him I am not worried because so far he has done fantastic by playing the way he does, both internationally and with one of if not the top MLS side. His qualities as a central midfielder allow him to wiggle himself away from opponents and his speed allowed him to adjust nicely to the demands of a wide player. I really like his game and right now I would be happy with either.

And as someone mentioned, Juan Cordova is a player who by rights should be getting into our team considering he is playing right back regularly with a mid-table Chilean team.

We don't have a Sergino Dest at right back, but our options are either bit as good as what Panama (Murillo), Jamaica (Powell), Honduras (Beckeles) or Costa Rica (Gamboa/Oviedo) has.

Yes I get that Laryea/Brault-Guillard are the least experienced of those names, but ZBG was developed at Lyon (and it shows) and has only made 1 crucial error in nearly 20 first team Impact games and 4 Canada games and that mistake came against Mexico. That's enough reps to make me a believer. Meanwhile, Laryea made it all the way to the MLS final with Toronto FC, so yeah I think he picks up some big experience points from that. Plus he was excellent back in October versus Pulisic, plus he hasn't made any big errors. His issue is more with the fundamentals, such as when to put in a cross. 

I'm more worried TFC keeps using lareya as a super sub, brought on to produce instant offense and he never gets his defensive side to grow like the offensive one.  We need a steady, defensively strong stay at home RB for the most part. (Especially if Davies is on the other side making runs from the LB)  ZBG seems to best fill that bill right now.  

Anyway we look at it, things are looking solid at RB.  As an Impact fan, I love Laryea's game, and I hope to see them both push themselves farther for the starter role on CANMNT.  ZBG is only 21, Laryea 25, if they're fairly equal now, I expect ZBG to take it in a year or two.  Either way, they remain a great duo, throw in Cordova and we've got depth and options at RB.  We can focus on the rest of the back line now.  

Just please don't ever call up Godinho again!

I am in the camp that RB is still an unproven position for us at national team level.  Yes, we have two better options than we had a couple of years back but neither has either a long run of games at a professional level at that position or at the national team where we can be confident of their abilities.  Look what happen with Godinho at the Gold Cup and the same could happen with these two once we get a more consistent look at them over a period of time.  At this stage, I would put Henry at CB well ahead of them at his position (and we see that as our problem position!).  Not because he doesn't have limitations but simply because he has a body of work over multiple years at the same or higher level than these two where he has been a consistent starter (which of course has exposed his limitations).  If we had a RB or two of Hoilett's or Arfield's level or even Osorio at their position, then I would agree.  But so far we dont.  We have two unproven inexperienced RBs that have potential but neither are someone I would feel confident on relying on if World Cup qualifying started tomorrow.

9 hours ago, An Observer said:

I am in the camp that RB is still an unproven position for us at national team level.  Yes, we have two better options than we had a couple of years back but neither has either a long run of games at a professional level at that position or at the national team where we can be confident of their abilities.  Look what happen with Godinho at the Gold Cup and the same could happen with these two once we get a more consistent look at them over a period of time.  At this stage, I would put Henry at CB well ahead of them at his position (and we see that as our problem position!).  Not because he doesn't have limitations but simply because he has a body of work over multiple years at the same or higher level than these two where he has been a consistent starter (which of course has exposed his limitations).  If we had a RB or two of Hoilett's or Arfield's level or even Osorio at their position, then I would agree.  But so far we dont.  We have two unproven inexperienced RBs that have potential but neither are someone I would feel confident on relying on if World Cup qualifying started tomorrow.

In fairness when it comes to Godinho after the Gold Cup he went from the Scottish Premiership to a 3.Liga side that barely escaped relegation this past season and had to fight to be a regular starter so he's actually a much lesser player than either Laryea or ZBG. We just thought he was on the up based on where he was at the time.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

In fairness when it comes to Godinho after the Gold Cup he went from the Scottish Premiership to a 3.Liga side that barely escaped relegation this past season and had to fight to be a regular starter so he's actually a much lesser player than either Laryea or ZBG. We just thought he was on the up based on where he was at the time.

I mean - how many players have we assumed were “on the up” over the years and ended up busting ? That’s why I assume nothing when it comes to guys like ZBG, or Laryea...once they establish themselves as solid regular professionals I’ll have more confidence in the RB spot 

15 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I mean - how many players have we assumed were “on the up” over the years and ended up busting ? That’s why I assume nothing when it comes to guys like ZBG, or Laryea...once they establish themselves as solid regular professionals I’ll have more confidence in the RB spot 

The writing was on the wall for Godinho even back at Hearts. He would consistently run hot and cold, putting in a fantastic performance one game followed by a stinker in the next. 

ZBG and Laryea are far more consistent than Godinho ever was and it`s not even close. 

11 hours ago, An Observer said:

I think it`s fair to say that RB is not as settled as CM or RW, where Arfield/Osorio and Hoilett play.

However, I would say that with ZBG and Laryea (not to mention Cordova) we are more settled at RB than we are at right center back, even though we have more experienced options there. 

The thing is, experience is very important but so is consistency. I would go as far as saying that maybe consistency is more important. After all, we like the experienced players because they are generally more consistent. 

So in the spirit of that, I would say that ZBG and Laryea give me more confidence than say Henry and James, even though those right center backs are more experienced players. While both have some very good qualities, both are inconsistent and that makes me nervous, especially for defenders. I have a hard time trusting them and comparatively a much easier time trusting ZBG or Laryea. 

I have no reason to think either will turn into Godinho and start to become wildly inconsistent. That is just not who they are as players. I only expect them to get even better and even more consistent as they gain more experience. I am very bullish on both.  

Edited by Obinna

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think it`s fair to say that RB is not as settled as CM or RW, where Arfield/Osorio and Hoilett play.

However, I would say that with ZBG and Laryea (not to mention Cordova) we are more settled at RB than we are at right center back, even though we have more experienced options there. 

The thing is, experience is very important but so is consistency. I would go as far as saying that maybe consistency is more important. After all, we like the experienced players because they are generally more consistent. 

So in the spirit of that, I would say that ZBG and Laryea give me more confidence than say Henry and James, even though those right center backs are more experienced players. While both have some very good qualities, both are inconsistent and that makes me nervous, especially for defenders. I have a hard time trusting them and comparatively a much easier time trusting ZBG or Laryea. 

I have no reason to think either will turn into Godinho and start to become wildly inconsistent. That is just not who they are as players. I only expect them to get even better and even more consistent as they gain more experience. I am very bullish on both.  

I hope you are right but until they have a body of work to back up that consistency we just dont know.  I didn't watch the TFC match, but it was reported that Laryea gave up a needless free kick today that led to tying goal.  If true, that is worrying.

Our RB position is still not settled and the thinnest we have.

18 months ago we didn’t have any RB options starting at a high level (MLS or better).  We still don’t have any consistent starters.

Both ZBG and Laryea *could* be good players for us but both of them are not consistent starters and we really need more than just a consistent starter to be a contender to make the World Cup.

I really hope one of them grabs a starting spot this year or someone else emerges, but it’s still uncertain and we are paper thin.

4 hours ago, An Observer said:

I hope you are right but until they have a body of work to back up that consistency we just dont know.  I didn't watch the TFC match, but it was reported that Laryea gave up a needless free kick today that led to tying goal.  If true, that is worrying.

I was only half watching, so I can`t recall the foul you are referring to. What I do recall is watching Zavaleta lose an areal dual and then Ciman not challenging the second ball, which DC put in the back of the net. On the first goal both center backs allowed Higuain to ghost behind them. 

Laryea was alright in his 45 minutes. Nothing to write home about, but certainly nothing to worry about either.

Edited by Obinna

4 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Our RB position is still not settled and the thinnest we have.

18 months ago we didn’t have any RB options starting at a high level (MLS or better).  We still don’t have any consistent starters.

Both ZBG and Laryea *could* be good players for us but both of them are not consistent starters and we really need more than just a consistent starter to be a contender to make the World Cup.

I really hope one of them grabs a starting spot this year or someone else emerges, but it’s still uncertain and we are paper thin.

I don't buy this. They are good players right now. You can tell a good player when you see one.

If ZBG had one bad game here, another bad game there, then I would say "you know what, this guy needs more experience". However, the kid has played more than enough times now with Montreal and Canada without a single bad game (the mistake against Mexico aside). 

Another problem I have is that "consistent starter" is just a label that doesn't really mean anything. Is he consistently good? For me the answer is a resounding yes. That actually means something.

Henry is a "consistent starter" for club and country and has been for a while now, yet he makes mistakes time and again. 

I don't mean to pick on Henry here, because I think he has a lot to offer us (despite the mistakes).

What else do you need to see from Brault-Guillard before you get comfortable? If he is still the starter at the midway point, do you still need to see more? Do you need to see him complete a full season with "starter" status?

What if he consistently starts but had ups and downs, do you ignore that just because he was a "starter"?

Edited by Obinna