Aidan Morris

Xavier.

42 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Guess we ain't getting him. Was always a long shot.

It just goes to show that we really don't know much re: selection to national teams.   At the same time, that's what being a fan is all bout.  We will keep keeping on.

Shame it seems like we lost out on Morris. We really need to turnover that midfield with good young talent. We're still calling in Spoony, Atiba...Oso is getting up there too. Kone was a great out of nowhere find but we need another few prospects at that level. 

20 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

This doesn’t change will likely lead to Herdman leaving.

This makes sense, his only connection is a parent.

Youth camp would have helped yes, more tourneys will help. It’s a process, there will be others. He would rather play sparingly, if not at all, than be a regular elsewhere. He is a true patriot and I respect that.

22 hours ago, blueseeka said:

Still dont understand why CMNT delays announcing it everytime when it is always straight forward.

I bet it's something super mundane, like they need to get the list of players to a contractor graphic designer and then they need to get around to making the graphic to go with the tweet that goes out.

38 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Well move this to World Soccer

Disappointing, but no need to pull the trigger so quickly. He hasn't been named to a US squad yet. He is still eligible for us and has expressed interest. We shouldn't be surprised that an American feels more of an attachment to America. Agree he's likely gone but lets wait until it actually happens.

There is a lot of vitriol about "losing" Morris on social media. No one bloody knew he could play for Canada a week or two ago. He was always a bonus player if he chose us. While he was eligible I don't think he was ours to lose.

Does Herdmans complaints about the youth system ring true? Absolutely. Certainly the ambition shown by the US in youth development makes us look like a shambles and will attract players more, whats new! It needs changing but we also need better funding and sponsorship to do that. It's never that cut and dried for players though as we see with the likes of Farsi or he that shall not be named years ago. Agent pressure, family and cultural pressure play a big part too. We still had US eligible players choosing us over the past decade.

At the same time Herdman is also quite resistant to blooding many newcomers outside the brotherhood too. Hopefully Loturi gets a few minutes. 

Either way for each person that chooses a different national path it opens up opportunity for someone willing to fight tooth and nail for the shirt and Canada.

We have the infrastructe like the CPL, L1 patheway and womens league growing but we are in a tough spot right now waiting until that all pays dividends.

While I don't think he is at all wrong with what he said, i think it comes across impatient and I don't think the negativity from Herdman helps the situation at this point. We should be going into the NL with positivity. He has now made the NL focus on bad CSA again.

He doesn't need leverage for a USMNT Gold Cup squad. He's good enough for that on merit even if he were not a dual-national, and might deserve to start for them. It's their A-team foreign-based squad that he would have trouble breaking into, with Tyler Adams and Johnny Cardoso.

This is more of a decision from the heart than trying to create leverage for the Gold Cup. Can't fault a kid who was entirely developed in the USA and has been valued by their youth teams.

16 minutes ago, toontownman said:

There is a lot of vitriol about "losing" Morris on social media. No one bloody knew he could play for Canada a week or two ago. He was always a bonus player if he chose us. While he was eligible I don't think he was ours to lose.

Does Herdmans complaints about the youth system ring true? Absolutely. Certainly the ambition shown by the US in youth development makes us look like a shambles and will attract players more, whats new! It needs changing but we also need better funding and sponsorship to do that. It's never that cut and dried for players though as we see with the likes of Farsi or he that shall not be named years ago. Agent pressure, family and cultural pressure play a big part too. We still had US eligible players choosing us over the past decade.

At the same time Herdman is also quite resistant to blooding many newcomers outside the brotherhood too. Hopefully Loturi gets a few minutes. 

Either way for each person that chooses a different national path it opens up opportunity for someone willing to fight tooth and nail for the shirt and Canada.

We have the infrastructe like the CPL, L1 patheway and womens league growing but we are in a tough spot right now waiting until that all pays dividends.

While I don't think he is at all wrong with what he said, i think it comes across impatient and I don't think the negativity from Herdman helps the situation at this point. We should be going into the NL with positivity. He has now made the NL focus on bad CSA again.

I agree with your post except for the bolded part. The CSA should be named and shamed at every turn until they're able to run a functional governing body at all levels. Just going along with status quo is how we got in this position in the first place. Him saying that not having youth camps is harming is doesn't throw any negativity on the senior team going into this tournament, but it does remind Canada Soccer that it's not good enough. This should be driven home at every turn until it changes.

I've said this before and sparked a fucking shit storm, but Canadians are too damn passive when it comes to mediocrity. It's like it's part of our national identity to quietly rest on our laurels and let things atrophy. I am 100% behind Herdman bringing this up, and continuing to until it gets properly addressed (and no, I don't know how to address it—not my station).

30 minutes ago, frmr said:

I agree with your post except for the bolded part. The CSA should be named and shamed at every turn until they're able to run a functional governing body at all levels. Just going along with status quo is how we got in this position in the first place. Him saying that not having youth camps is harming is doesn't throw any negativity on the senior team going into this tournament, but it does remind Canada Soccer that it's not good enough. This should be driven home at every turn until it changes.

I've said this before and sparked a fucking shit storm, but Canadians are too damn passive when it comes to mediocrity. It's like it's part of our national identity to quietly rest on our laurels and let things atrophy. I am 100% behind Herdman bringing this up, and continuing to until it gets properly addressed (and no, I don't know how to address it—not my station).

I’m fine with throwing criticism at Canada Soccer too, as our youth teams are obviously not funded enough. Seems odd in this case though. Morris wouldn’t have chosen to play for our youth teams over the USA’s youth teams, so how were we supposed to make him have this connection to our program?

18 minutes ago, frmr said:

Agree. It's just so grating for us to finally see some success only for the positivity to be drained with implosion and negativity.

However, while there is success and public eyes there is the prime opportunity for leverage, advocating and hopefully actualizing real systematic change.

I still feel torn on these quotes though. These comments could have simply waited until after the NL games rather than whipping up the negativity ahead of them. He would have even more leverage if the team does well. The focus should be on those that have committed to Canada and pumping them and the position we are in up. He has also been in and around CSA for over a decade so I am sure he has had enough of the false promises and not enough follow through. We need Herdman more than he needs us at this stage.

2 minutes ago, El Diego said:

The cynic/conspiracy theorist in me can't help but think this was all a ploy for Herdman to be able to come out and say "See! We need more money for youth camps!!"

My conspiracy is that this is misdirection by Herdman to lull the US into not calling Morris into the Gold Cup and then gazumping them when final rosters drop. 

4 minutes ago, El Diego said:

The cynic/conspiracy theorist in me can't help but think this was all a ploy for Herdman to be able to come out and say "See! We need more money for youth camps!!"

Everyone knows we need more money for youth camps, I fully support everyone and anyone that helps get that message and action out there.  Nothing cynical about it.  However, i feel, connecting it to Morris is a stretch.

Its funny, because when I saw Herdman taking a shot at the lack of youth camps (a legit concern, but one which has little to do with an American players IMO), my first thought was that he was taking a shot at certain players demanding pay equity given that a big chunk of the WC bonus money was supposed to go to that cause (something that Herdman had said would be one of benefits of making the WC).