Aidan Morris

Xavier.

18 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Paxton’s 19. What do you expect for a prospect that is a mid season transfer. Not counting Reyna is silly. He has an EU passport he was never going to sign a first team contract for NYCFC. He’s still an MLS product. Aaronson to Leeds was happening whether Marsch was their or not. Bielsa wanted him. Adams went to Leipzig. 

If we’re disregarding Adams and Reyna. What about any position? The Bundesliga has 2 FBs in Davies and Scally who both came straight from MLS. As soccer grows in North America MLS exports are going to become more and more common. 

I think you missed the sentiment of my point. I am not talking down on MLS or these players. 

The point is that we are looking for an apples to apples comparison for Morris and his developmental path. Reyna is not apples to apples because he was a youth all star. It would be silly to compare morris to reyna when clearly they have taken different developmental pathways. 

Adams was dumb of me... count him and disregard everything I said about him.

Other positions may talk about the strength of the league. Look at almiron as well. However, if we are looking at apples to apples, then its not as relevant. 

The MLS is producing and selling loads of players but if morris wants to compete with the midfield options of the US, he will need to transfer to a top 5 league. Currently, aaronson is the only unmnt player who is playing in a top 5 league following the pathway that morris is aspiring too (Obviously adams and some of the other guys could transfer back into a top 5 league). 

The insight I get from this is that morris basically needs to be the best midfield export ever from MLS to get minutes. 

11 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I think you missed the sentiment of my point. I am not talking down on MLS or these players. 

The point is that we are looking for an apples to apples comparison for Morris and his developmental path. Reyna is not apples to apples because he was a youth all star. It would be silly to compare morris to reyna when clearly they have taken different developmental pathways. 

Adams was dumb of me... count him and disregard everything I said about him.

Other positions may talk about the strength of the league. Look at almiron as well. However, if we are looking at apples to apples, then its not as relevant. 

The MLS is producing and selling loads of players but if morris wants to compete with the midfield options of the US, he will need to transfer to a top 5 league. Currently, aaronson is the only unmnt player who is playing in a top 5 league following the pathway that morris is aspiring too (Obviously adams and some of the other guys could transfer back into a top 5 league). 

The insight I get from this is that morris basically needs to be the best midfield export ever from MLS to get minutes. 

Gotcha. That’s fair. I still don’t think the USMNT is a far reach. We took Kellyn Acosta to the World Cup. Morris, IMO, is already better than him. We don’t currently have a head coach so everyone will be on an equal playing field. It’s entirely possible Morris would’ve been on the squad had he not missed the entire 2021 season due to injury. 

9 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Gotcha. That’s fair. I still don’t think the USMNT is a far reach. We took Kellyn Acosta to the World Cup. Morris, IMO, is already better than him. We don’t currently have a head coach so everyone will be on an equal playing field. It’s entirely possible Morris would’ve been on the squad had he not missed the entire 2021 season due to injury. 

Its for sure possible to be part of the 23. You can probably speak to this more but lets assume 6 central midfielders make the WC squad?
Some of the guys may get shifted to the wing or ST. 

Mckennie
Adams
Musah
De la torre
Reyna
Aaronson
tillman 
Mihailovic
cardosa
Busio
Booth 
many youth prospects.

its possible but thats one congested list. I just dont see how he can leap frog into one of the 6 positions unless he gets a move to europes top 5 leagues. 

46 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Its for sure possible to be part of the 23. You can probably speak to this more but lets assume 6 central midfielders make the WC squad?
Some of the guys may get shifted to the wing or ST. 

Mckennie
Adams
Musah
De la torre
Reyna
Aaronson
tillman 
Mihailovic
cardosa
Busio
Booth 
many youth prospects.

its possible but thats one congested list. I just dont see how he can leap frog into one of the 6 positions unless he gets a move to europes top 5 leagues. 

Only 2 on that list are defensive mids, Adams and Cardoso. Only really has to beat out Cardoso to make the squad. Adams has an injury history as well. 

Good point.  I would imagine that the US would play with a single 6 or dual 8's.  Mckennie can surely play that role. Its probably similar to canada. We would play oso as a double 8 with staq before playing piette (in some circumstances).

http://www.americansoccernow.com/articles/amid-a-breakout-season-in-columbus-morris-aims-to-take-advantage-of-usmnt-gold-cup-opportunity

Some more specifics on his Canada connection:

My dad was born [in Montreal], and I grew up going there every summer and I got a lot of family there,” Morris said. “What the Canadian Soccer Federation did for me in trying to bring me on as part of their plan and part their journey to the next World Cup was amazing. I can't thank them enough for the support they showed me and how much they valued me was awesome.

15 hours ago, Canadian Chuck said:

God dammit, he makes it hard to dislike him.  Given he was born and raised in the US, the loss stings less but class words by him on the Canadian program.  First Callaghan, then Pulisic and now Morris, these Yanks are making it harder and harder to dislike them with all their recent positive comments on our program and players.

• 3 weeks later...