Aidan Morris

Xavier.

23 minutes ago, gator said:

How did we ever take 4 of 6 points against this formidable midfield?😀 I do agree they have more to choose from at the present time but I am confident our depth will strengthen with more opportunities for young players!

And, Morris is one of those young players. The USMNT will always have more depth due to its population being 10 X that of Canada. It will always be harder for an American to make US team given that the USA has many more players always knocking at the door.

I agree, Gator, that opportunities for young players are very important.

2 hours ago, frmr said:

I think the USMNT has a fair bit more depth at midfield than us, so Morris certainly has a better chance of seeing more playing time with us than them. How much more is debatable. Bolded sentence is completely irrelevant however.

The US has more depth at the 8/10. 6 is pretty thin. I mean for gods sake we took Acosta to the World Cup.

3 hours ago, frmr said:

I think the USMNT has a fair bit more depth at midfield than us, so Morris certainly has a better chance of seeing more playing time with us than them. How much more is debatable. Bolded sentence is completely irrelevant however.

Also The Yanks got 3 times the player pool Canada has got 

On 5/21/2023 at 10:20 PM, Dominic94 said:

I know he plays in Columbus and maybe isn’t watched much but like idea he won’t be around for 2-3 cycles would mean we produce some 3-4 Eustaquio’s in that time.

I have never (knowingly) watched this guy play. That being said, it's the word "guaranteed" that was thrown around that I object to. It wouldn't necessarily take 3-4 Eustaquio's in 11 years time for him to not be a guaranteed contributor on the team. He could regress like Tabla did after he committed to us (he had a high floor at the time too... which he hasn't been able to achieve since), or he could have injuries hamper him like Ricardo Ferreira, or as you are alluding to, he could have the level of the team outgrow him like what seems to be happening with Sam Piette (although to be fair, he is almost at the 11 year anniversary of his first cap... but he wasn't guaranteed playing time in the World Cup last year).

If this Morris guy commits to Canada all it guarantees him is the opportunity to earn further caps.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Canadian Chuck said:

A good relationship with Anthony Hudson seemed to be one of the main things keeping Morris in the USMNT program up until now. Hudson is the guy who was able to recruit Balogun and others. Things shift a little bit more in Canada's favor with the US coaching carousel.

Starting to lean towards him deferring his decision and deciding to not play with either team this summer.

13 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Not on Nations League roster for the USA.

That hasn't been released yet. Unlike what @TGAA_Star was saying, that will be released June 5th. The list today is just a training roster.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2023/06/callaghan-selects-24-player-biosteel-usmnt-training-camp-roster-ahead-of-concacaf-nations-league

Tyler Adams is out injured and Morris still didn't make it anyway because of Johnny Cardoso, who is the same age as Morris.

Cardoso is pretty highly regarded by the US. He spent essentially his whole life in Brazil and Brazil wanted him for their U20s in 2020-21 but the USMNT were willing to fast-track him. Got his first senior cap well before Morris.

Edited by Canadian Chuck

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

Callahan's response to the Aidan Morris question was interesting. He sort of dodged the question about where Aidan's head is at.

If I'm him, I'm thinking Canada makes me a regular for the next decade alongside players like Kone, Davies and David.

With the U.S there's no guarantee of ever making the squad, and their pool gets deeper every day.

Given he's a born and raised American, obviously his preference would be the U.S but I think he's seriously considering that the U.S isn't the best move for him.

3 hours ago, VinceA said:

Callahan's response to the Aidan Morris question was interesting. He sort of dodged the question about where Aidan's head is at.

You think he dodged it?  Made it sound like he was in real consideration for the Gold Cup.

12 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Woudlnt we only name him to the squad if we had assurances that he would accept?

Yeah that’s the way I see it too. The media is obviously adding some excitement/anticipation to the mix as that’s their job. 

35 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Apparently he’s been called to the roster and is expected to accept:

Guys, we need to spam Aidan’s insta and show him some love so he joins.

@Aidanzmorris

Edited by Dominic94

3 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Guys, we need to spam Aidan’s insta and show him some love so he joins.

Looking at his IG, think some Voyageurs have beat us to it. 

like damn, his most recent post has by far the most comments of any of his posts I can see, and it’s like 75% just spamming Canadian flags. This is the marketing push you get from committing to Canada brother!!! It’s time to come home 

30 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Where did you hear he was expected to accept?

I kept seeing people tweet this, but I think it might just be inferred from the fact that they wouldn’t call him if he wouldn’t accept, just like they didn’t call his teammate Farsi for the same reason. 

6 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Looking at his IG, think some Voyageurs have beat us to it. 

like damn, his most recent post has by far the most comments of any of his posts I can see, and it’s like 75% just spamming Canadian flags. This is the marketing push you get from committing to Canada brother!!! It’s time to come home 

I saw that too, had to join in.