Aidan Morris

Xavier.

16 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Other sources have said simply being in the tournament squad cap ties you.

Is your source beyond AGR?  That’s the only person I’ve seen say it + individuals he is on podcasts with. Understand in the Aidan Morris situation this doesn’t matter as he will play the one/two games needed.

Edited by trc2014

41 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I know it’s inevitable that he will be capped by playing in enough games, but I don’t think being on the squad cap tying someone is a thing.  Looks like everyone at One Soccer is saying it.

I don't mean to be responding to @trc2014, rather just call out the BS that AGR is tweeting about. 

Next up from AGR?  Big loss for Canada - one of Messi's parents could have had an affair with a Canadian travelling through Rosario, making Lionel an illegitimate child, but with a Canadian parent.  If only Canada had more youth camps.

How is this a big loss for Canada?  Sure, it would be nice to have him, but Morris is 100% American.  You can't lose what you don't have.  So what if his name appears on a largely meaningless provisional roster?  I'm all in for the need for more youth camps for Canada, but to use Morris to make the case for them is farcical.

9 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

His tweet does make it sound like 100% a youth camp would have guaranteed Morris.  Pretty funny, was on no one’s radar 2 weeks ago and now it’s a huge loss for the program.

Yeah I don't like that angle. Why would Morris have chosen us over American youth camps? Also his age groups U20 program was wiped out due to Covid.

Honestly I think there was smoke blown and we can’t say this is a huge loss.

The fans didn’t know he was eligible, the program chased him hard for over a year. The player and media used/created leverage for the us to call him and then finally there was enough opportunities where he was needed.

On top of this he was never really in the country.

Sadly right now the dual tide has turned and we are taking losses.

He will have a short career with them, but for all we know the next Kone is around the corner and one of Zouhir/Saliba may end up being him.

Definitely smoke blown up our ass.  GEEZ, Kone last year, this year CHoiniere is breaking out, Saliba/Rea playing better, Ahmed in Vancouver, Loturi in europe, why do I care about this guy??  I'm not going to cry about some guy who we only realized has a tenuous tie to canada 3 weeks ago and was never serious about it for a minute.  Sure was a lot of stories about him when it looked like he might switch though eh??  

21 hours ago, phresh said:

Back to Morris, he's been called up for the US

So your saying in a couple weeks this thread will be in the World Soccer page, and if I hadn't caught up by that point I could have avoided reading the last 5 pages of this thread?

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

So your saying in a couple weeks this thread will be in the World Soccer page, and if I hadn't caught up by that point I could have avoided reading the last 5 pages of this thread?

This thread is still here because it’s very possible that he catches the flu, sits out the GC, bumps into Herdman at McCarran on the way home and stares longingly at the Air Canada flights departing knowing that while his heart is American, his soul is Canadian, and in the footsteps of his baseball hero Freddie Freeman, he will wear the red and white to honour his roots. 

He’s basically saying what I did- these players decide based on the player they think they are, not who they actually are. He thinks he’ll get good enough to play for the US, and so that’s where he goes regardless of how much easier it would be to crack our squad. Totally fine. Can we move this to world soccer now?

8 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

He’s basically saying what I did- these players decide based on the player they think they are, not who they actually are. He thinks he’ll get good enough to play for the US, and so that’s where he goes regardless of how much easier it would be to crack our squad. Totally fine. Can we move this to world soccer now?

It's weird the way we phrase this lol - who says he doesn't go to a top 5 league in the near future? 

1 hour ago, PiedPilko said:

It's weird the way we phrase this lol - who says he doesn't go to a top 5 league in the near future? 

How many promising domestic mids have moved to a top 5 league from MLS in the last 3-4 years??  Not saying it cant happen, but it doesnt happen that much.  

49 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

How many promising domestic mids have moved to a top 5 league from MLS in the last 3-4 years??  Not saying it cant happen, but it doesnt happen that much.  

Go to 4 1/2 years and it’s 5 or 6. If Watford get back into the prem then 7 if you count that.

1. P aaronson - 2022 bundesliga 7 appearances so far
2. Busio - Seria A  2021 (who are now in Serie B )
3. Tessman - Seria A  2021 (who are now in Serie B )
4. Gruezo - Bundesliga. 2019 ( although he previously played in the bundesliga prior)

From my limited research theres been 4 midfielders transferred from MLS to top 5 leagues. Aaronson is legit. Busio and Tessman went to a second div italian side who were serie A for one year.... it hardly counts even though it technically does count. Gruezo was a bundesliga player, went to MLS and then back to bundesliga. Again it hardly counts as hes not an MLS Developed guy like morris is. 

Basically there is 1 midfielder who is an MLS product who went to a top 5 league with stability.  

(B Aaronson went to salzburg. Adams went to salzburg) Then there are 2 more midfielders who went to europe and eventually went to a top 5 league that had an american manager and they were swiftly relegated. Its unlikely they would have moved to the prem if marsh wasnt the coach of leeds. 

I am making some explanations which belittle the situation but I guess my point is that the MLS hardly ever sends an MLS product to a top 5 league and when they have, the players go to relegation sides. Theres still not an example of a player going from MLS to a top 5 team and becoming succesful at that level. P aaronson still has the jury out. Adams is likely to transfer back to the prem. However, Morris will have to be the most succesful MLS midfield product ever in order to break into the USMNT line up. 

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

1. P aaronson - 2022 bundesliga 7 appearances so far
2. Busio - Seria A  2021 (who are now in Serie B )
3. Tessman - Seria A  2021 (who are now in Serie B )
4. Gruezo - Bundesliga. 2019 ( although he previously played in the bundesliga prior)

From my limited research theres been 4 midfielders transferred from MLS to top 5 leagues. Aaronson is legit. Busio and Tessman went to a second div italian side who were serie A for one year.... it hardly counts even though it technically does count. Gruezo was a bundesliga player, went to MLS and then back to bundesliga. Again it hardly counts as hes not an MLS Developed guy like morris is. 

Basically there is 1 midfielder who is an MLS product who went to a top 5 league with stability.  

(B Aaronson went to salzburg. Adams went to salzburg) Then there are 2 more midfielders who went to europe and eventually went to a top 5 league that had an american manager and they were swiftly relegated. Its unlikely they would have moved to the prem if marsh wasnt the coach of leeds. 

I am making some explanations which belittle the situation but I guess my point is that the MLS hardly ever sends an MLS product to a top 5 league and when they have, the players go to relegation sides. Theres still not an example of a player going from MLS to a top 5 team and becoming succesful at that level. P aaronson still has the jury out. Adams is likely to transfer back to the prem. However, Morris will have to be the most succesful MLS midfield product ever in order to break into the USMNT line up. 

Paxton’s 19. What do you expect for a prospect that is a mid season transfer. Not counting Reyna is silly. He has an EU passport he was never going to sign a first team contract for NYCFC. He’s still an MLS product. Aaronson to Leeds was happening whether Marsch was their or not. Bielsa wanted him. Adams went to Leipzig. 

If we’re disregarding Adams and Reyna. What about any position? The Bundesliga has 2 FBs in Davies and Scally who both came straight from MLS. As soccer grows in North America MLS exports are going to become more and more common.